All writing published for The Subject that Matters

Published writing

Img 3443
1

faith carter (United States) published:

freedom

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

We walk in at the same time every day, we eat at the same time every day, the bells ring at the same time every day, and we leave at the same time every day. In high school, your life is dictated by the schedule you're handed at the beginning of the year. Besides choosing AP or an extracurricular here there, as student has no control over their learning environment. I propose a class in which students take learning into...

Img 3443

faith carter (United States) published:

freedom

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

We walk in at the same time every day, we eat at the same time every day, the bells ring at the same time every day, and we leave at the same time every day. In high school, your life is dictated by the schedule your handed at the beginning of the year. Besides choosing AP or an extracurricular here there, as student has no control over their learning environment. I propose a class in which students take learning into...

Screenshot 2017 05 25 at 9.32.51 am

Marci Goodwin (United States) published:

How To Adult: The Class That Should Be Taught But Isn't

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

You know the basic subjects: there's math, writing, grammar, history, science etc... but what about the stuff that you usually learn from your Mom or Dad? For instance, there's learning how to do taxes, how to deal with major disappointments, how to manage your time, how to be a pretty decent human being, and how to kill a squirrel with a BB gun.*(That one I learned from my dad.) Well, some people don't have a mother or a father to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 1189

gigiclarke (United States) published:

YOU matter

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Although arithmetic, english, and biology are important to learn, there is so much more to the world than that. Without being okay with who you are, none of it means anything at all. Schools should teach a class about how to deal with the many issues plaguing todays youth. Teachers now can get you to memorize a formula, but to this day I have yet to meet one who will teach me what to do when my parents separate, or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 4518

Hannahfgargiulo (United States) published:

The Subject English Matters

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Language  is an arrangement of correspondence by talking, composing, or making signs in a way that can be comprehended, or any of the distinctive frameworks of correspondence utilized as a part of specific districts.the subject English should be taught in high schools throughout the world for many reasons.
        To begin with, English is a significant segment of school arrangement, preparing understudies for the broad research and expository aptitudes they will be relied upon to use all through their...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Anmeiweatherly (United States) published:

The Subject that Matters

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

A subject that should be taught in high schools everywhere is pottery because this class would engage kids both artistically and physically. It would allow kids to express what they feel hands-on and be able to show that through art. In most high school you have to have a certain amount of credits for each subject including math, english, and arts and humanities. This class would complete the arts and humanities credit while being fun and engaging. It could teach...

Seeking Peer Reviews

18010667 214933755659053 374127786939617418 n

the_voices_dislike_you (United States) published:

The important stuff

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

All high schools teach the essentials, math, science, language arts, you know the usual but what about stuff you'll use on a daily, things that aren't taught in most schools. Yes, we may use science, and algebra if we take a career in that path, otherwise for math in everyday life we have calculators at the tip of our fingertips. But whats not taught is whats important, like how to balance a check book, and things like that. We need...

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) published:

How to adult

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

I don't want to learn about the Pythagorean theorem, or talk about the dinosaurs who died millions of years ago in science class. I want to learn about how to adult in real life, how to do taxes, how to cook and clean and sew, how to have safe sex and not have the only thing on the agenda be "Abstinence." I want to know how to buy a car, how to haggle, how to buy a house, how to...

Photo3

Book_Nerd (Australia) published:

The Subject Of Dreams

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

In school we learn facts, the answers to basic knowledge. And it is supposed to teach how to handle ourselves in the future once we graduate, but it doesn't. Because we turn around and rely on these facts, go for 'reasonable' careers and never really reach our full potential, and thats what 'school' taught us to do.

Young children have it right, they are creative, and dream big. They know what they want, and no logic or statistics can get...

Seeking Peer Reviews

E7e9a773 fddd 4bd8 bc37 7ea2c78871fd
1
1

Riley Noel (United States) published:

Gardening/ Farming

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

I think an important class to teach high school kids is farming, or simply where their food comes from.
Many people today dont know how their food is grown or where it even comes from. For this class it would start with a basic understanding of how farming works, what methods are used, different crops that are grown, and the cost to raise and produce the crops. Their would also be a hands on course where the student would plant...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

SidTh3Squid (Micronesia, Federated States Of) published:

culture class

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

i do not know what
the rest will choose for themselves
whats my opinion?

add culture classes
teach the world just how big
and varied it is

grow roots from ourselves
to lands around each other
one with earth and all

Seeking Peer Reviews

16736099 1194488103980857 118211242 n
1

outwalkingthelights (United Kingdom) published:

Why?

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

The question I think I heard the most in high school was this: but miss, where will I use this?

So, the class I think we should teach is the one that answers this question. The one that teaches kids why poetry is important as a historical document, where in the world outside of being a mathematician you might use complex maths, why physics matters when you're not a physicist, why art is useful in understanding politics.

I, personally,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2018 10 24 16 27 46

--RosieOnTheRun (from reality)-- (United Kingdom) published:

The lesson where pupils teach themselves

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Everyone learns differently,  through drama, art, writing, talking, therefore, as we all learn diffeently, how can we be taught the same? This is the idea behind MYself, the lesson where pupils teach themselves.

At the start of each term the students are given a topic, following the ciriculim, for example 'the Aztecs' 'comparing religions' 'volcanos' or such like. From here they can research the topic in what ever way they want. They can write essays, create posters or presentations, drama...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dark nirvana

kanigi7 (United States) published:

Anti

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Anti-Stress:
    This class should be taught in every school in every country. Stress is the leading cause of so many problems. And this class could be converted into anything, such as anti-anxiety. People need to be more aware of the symptoms involving stress and anxiety and how to treat or calm these things. 

Img 1782
1

Fidgetsally (United Kingdom) published:

A Whole New Perspective

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Over the hundreds and thousands of years that humans have been on Earth, we have formed many colonies and communities - but there are many groups that we will never meet or even hear about from all corners of the planet. There are said to be as many as one hundred “uncontacted tribes” still living in some of the most isolated regions of the world. The members of these tribes have maintained traditions long forgotten by the rest of the...

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm
1

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Languages

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

In the olden days, the only means of communication was pure and beautiful language. In schools and learning institutes everywhere, the first thing taught to the younger generation was the proper use of language. Whether it was Latin, or French, or even local dialects, they made sure that the children were able to write, speak, and read fluent language.

But today, we can barely remember where the Old English, and the fluent Latin all went off to. Languages are supposed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20170409 163303
4
1

The Rebellious One! (South Africa) published:

A Class Of Equality

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

If there is one thing the entire world is still behind on- it is definately equality. I don't mean to be 'one of those feminists' but I am. I still think women are not given the respect they deserve. Women are undermined daily in the workplace, schools and society in general. We are called by 'bitches' 'hoes' 'sluts' and many more disgusting names, and are expected to smile through all this name-calling. We are seen as nothing more than as...

Img 20170413 192830 718
1
2

friskatazkia02 (Indonesia) published:

Humanity

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

I think, the important course you should taught in high school is Humanity. Not humanity like sociology, or P.A, or science-humanity . but, humanity as human . Humanity that taught we, even though different, pretty much the same . we are still a human. Born with flesh, blood, heart, brain, and skin. There's is nothing nor different between me or you, or the different between the girls or boys, or the difference between skin colour. we are human . Because...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1530828582 510915452
2
1

Peppermint Lemonade (United States) published:

Survival 101

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

To teens in America these days, survival means having your phone charger, some Oreos, and maybe some lip chop at hand.

What would happen if you got lost in the wild?
If somebody tried to kidnap, or even murder you, could you escape?
Would you survive if enemy forces attacked your country and they turned all electricity off, leaving you to live without it? (Ready to scoff at this one? How much stuff in your house doesn't rely on electricity?)

Unless your family owns a martial...

Seeking Peer Reviews

378709 2971812652530 1178176603 3425818 1686159774 n
2

Angelina Nguyen (Australia) published:

How to live and how to learn

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

Philosophy is a radical study that was first introduced in Ancient Greece by Socrates and manifests itself in many different ways. This subject explores some of the most debatable areas of humanity. Students of philosophy can discuss the nature of our world, find ways to effectively criticize and question society, as well as gain a new kind of knowledge and understanding. I was quite fortunate that philosophy ran as a subject last year because I not only have always found...

Seeking Peer Reviews