All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2017. See Competition

Published writing

SashSash (Russian Federation)() published:

Hands

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

They all say your hand can show your future. Your life paths stretching across the skin of your palms, every fold marking your every experience, and your fingertips imprinted with the truth of your very being. They say your hand  is a map, displaying the future defined in your skin at birth... I disagree.

I say your hands can build your future. Your life path paved by them, your every experience formed by them, your very being formed by them...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sarah Feng (United States of America)() published:

The Internet: The World's Brain and How It's Ruining Yours

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

It is both large and small, infinite and instant, flexible and rigid. It is a vast conduit, an all-encompassing web; it is a bottomless expanse inside which trillions of gigabytes whirl past in a seething maelstrom of data. It is the Internet, a massive, pulsing brain armored in a cranium of silicon and metal. Not only does it occupy almost every computer in the world—it now maintains a sort of omnipresence in our lives. 
    From searching the location...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Crazyspark1 (United States of America)() published:

Social media: Is it good or bad?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

We have constant access to the internet. Instagram, Snapchat, Kik, Facebook, Pinterest, we have it all, all the time. This can be a good and bad thing. 

On one hand, social media is good because we are able to keep in touch with friends faster, we're updated with news that could give us good information about the world, and sites like Pinterest can be a great source of inspiration. Instead of sending a letter that would get there DAYS later,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

ElenaH (United States of America)() published:

Prejudice In Our Country

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

I am Mexican-American. But, don’t look at me like a criminal. Don’t look at me like a drug-dealer. Look at me like a human being. Look at me like you would look at yourself. We’re all people. Why do we treat each other differently based on where we come from, what we look like, and everything in between? We as Americans need to change our way of thinking towards others based on their origins and looks.
The Klu Klux...

Seeking Peer Reviews

morgproc (United States of America)() published:

Organ donation

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Morgan Proctor
3/10/17
Organ Donation
    The circumstances dealing with organ donations starts with the ones who volunteer to donate and the ones who are in need. The neglect of the people waiting for a transplant is substantially high. Everyone either knows or has heard of someone needing a transplant so this isn’t an epidemic that the pudic does not need to be concerned about. The time you have to spend waiting is determined by financial stability or supply count....

2

Emily Rice (United States of America)() published:

A Gender Spectrum: Questioning the Dichotomy

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Last year I attended a summer camp in which nobody’s gender identity was assumed. When you didn’t know a person’s preferred pronouns, you used they/them pronouns until you knew for sure whether they were a he, she, or they. There was even a chart posted in the main cabin where every camper could write in their name, gender identity and preferred pronouns. At this camp, your gender was whatever you wanted it to be and that was respected without question--that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

It is a common assumption in Western culture that there are two genders, male and female, and that one’s gender is defined by their biological sex. However, not every culture views gender this way: many pre-colonial tribes respected and honored people who identified as a third gender, neither male nor female (Walker and Pullin), and some cultures even recognize as many as five genders. It’s important to keep in mind that a person’s gender identity does not always...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jess (United States of America)() published:

​Make America Green Again

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it still fall or do we just not care?

We, the American population, are opportunity takers. Or simply, we are takers. Constantly in competition, we take from each other, from ourselves, and most importantly from the very land, sea, and sky surrounding us. As we take from the environment excessively, is the problem that we aren’t realizing the dramatic effects that take place or perhaps, on a...

3
1

Simona Vigodner (United States of America)() published:

The Flaw in Education

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

It’s 4 am and I can hear the birds chirping. The cup of coffee tilts unsteadily beside the page of the Microeconomics textbook I stare into, groggily trying to remember if an indirect tax shifts the supply curve left or right. My feet ache after a three-hour dance practice and the last thing I remember for certain is my mother urging me to go to sleep in exasperation, before she too, made her way to bed. That was 4 hours...

aetherghoul (Singapore)() published:

Changing Minds Over Metal

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

It was 25th January 2015. There I was, sandwiched in between a metal barrier in front of me, and a mob of screaming people behind me with their fists in the air, chanting in perfect unison. Although I could feel the crushing weight of the thunderous legion against my back, I was having the time of my life.

No, I didn’t participate in a riot or a protest. I was attending the concert of Avenged Sevenfold, one of the world’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

GardeLuve (United States of America)() published:

A Freedom to Love

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

There are words that I want to take back. Words that I now know shouldn't have been said. It happened about two years ago when I was a mere thirteen-year-old and completely oblivious. And I said, "I don't mind, as long as my children aren't gay."

I'm not sure if this is a common excuse among homophobic people. It was mine when I was answered that question. I was homophobic as a kid, no reasoning can change...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Delaney Spano (United States of America)() published:

Anti-Summer Homework

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and the windows are open with a warm breeze blowing in. It’s June 14th, the last day before summer break at the William Davies Middle School and the kids are about ready to burst with excitement. Then it happens...the summer homework packets are handed out and there is a collective groan throughout the classroom. And just like that everyone’s excitement pops like a balloon. On the top sheet of the packet is...

A.Ryan1186 (United States of America)() published:

A Disease Uncured

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

A long line of patients trails out of the dilapidated hospital, all of them bearing the same emblem of hopelessness that grows with every hour they must wait to get the aid they so desperately require. Once inside, the doctor puts the sick and weary souls through some tests, but eventually sends them all off with the same medicine that cures some diseases but does not heal all ailments. These patients are our students. The doctors are our school boards....

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

GroverTheForest (United States of America)() published:

"We Should All Be Feminists"

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Feminism is one of the words that brings up different feelings in different people. According to the Oxford English Dictionary "Feminism" is the "advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes". If you ask someone who considers themself a feminist what feminism is they would say something along the lines of "the belief that all human beings are equal" or "the belief that all people deserve equality".
    There are many stereotypes out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AlaynaK (United States of America)() published:

Gender Equality

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

The thing that matters the most to me is gender equality. This matters to me for many reasons. One reason is  that this is not fair for women. Women work just as hard as men and they get paid less. Your gender should not get in the way of how you support your family.Also your gender should not get in the way of your education. You should not have to be told what you have to be because you're...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

_Rae (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

That's so gay!

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Isn’t the modern teenager great- so creative, so intelligent? Coming up with new words and phrases- ‘on fleek’, ‘creasing’, ‘rick rolling’ etc, etc. There’s an endless supply and a new one each day. None better or more used than ‘that’s so gay’.
When and who was it coined by? Nobody knows yet this paradoxical phrase still remains. I mean, didn’t the word gay mean carefree, merry and cheerful once upon a time? At what point did it earn its negative...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SadieLGCL (United States of America)() published:

Planned Parenthood; Helpful or Harmful?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Earlier this year, President Trump passed a bill stopping international funding of Planned Parenthood. When Trump responded to claims about Planned Parenthood clinics across the country being shut down due to lack of funding he said, “ Yeah, well, they’ll perhaps have to go, they’ll have to go to another state” (Khazan). This may be a pro-life movement on behalf of the republican party, but Planned Parenthood provides many other services to benefits for people...

Brittany Kang (United States of America)() published:

The Promise of Nanoparticles

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Since the 1990s, cystic fibrosis research has been focused on viral vectors, which have been a repeatedly ineffective method of gene therapy. Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a genetic disorder in which the lungs, pancreas and other organs suffer from a buildup of mucus. Mucus in the lungs traps bacteria and leads to infections, threatening respiratory damage and even failure. Mucus buildup in the pancreas will prevent the breakdown of enzymes and the absorption of vital nutrients. The target gene for...

BrandonSGCL (United States of America)() published:

Why Athletes Need to be Paid Less

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

One thing professional athletes are known for is a large amount of money they get for playing a sport. While most players do not get paid nearly $350,000 for each basketball game they play, like basketball player Al Horford, a significant amount of athletes from a variety of sports have an annual salary of over million dollars. Although they put in countless hours of work over the years to get to where they are, they do not deserve to be...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

pencils.and.paper.roses (United States of America)() published:

Get Rid of Puppy Mills-Adopt From Shelters!

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Over 10,000 of the dogs you see in pet stores every day come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are backyard breeders who breed dogs for profit in cramped, dirty conditions with little food or water. Because the mothers are kept in these conditions, the puppies are born with serious medical conditions such as deafness, heart and kidney diseases, and respiratory disorders. These poor dogs are sold at only 7 or 8 weeks old, 4 weeks before they should be separated...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katia B. GCL (United States of America)() published:

Necessities for Men and Women

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Across the nation, there are over 650 Planned Parenthood clinics and 7,700 other family planning centers that help more than 8 million women annually (Vestal). According to Vestal, family planning clinics, Planned Parenthood in particular, rely on the government to fund their expenditures, however, the “already thinly financed clinics” may have to close due to their lack of funding. In areas with poor sex education, underprivileged communities, low income women, and those covered by Medicaid, Planned Parenthood provides healthcare...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Soh Zhi Hong (Singapore)() published:

The Downfall of the Millennials

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

“Youth offers the promise of happiness”. Long gone is this idealism of youth. The millennials of the 21st century now find themselves stranded in the high stress climate of adolescence. However, with the ubiquity of social media, the millennials of our generation have conveniently fallen back on social media as their form of solace, as opposed to dealing with the stress head-on. Such momentary detachment from reality accurately reflects their lack of coping mechanisms to deal with stress and disorients...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Social media: Is it good or bad?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sinong (Singapore)() published:

It's time to reduce plastic use

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Recently, I was challenged to a three day Zero Waste Challenge based off the existing 30 Day Zero Waste Challenge. After three days of collecting my trash in a small bag, I had collected a total of three pieces of plastic waste despite my efforts to reduce my carbon footprint and had had an existing belief of mine further affirmed: that our society overuses plastic disposables to a frightening extent, and that it is time each of use tried to...

1

Michelle_Posey (United States of America)() published:

Sexism in just about everything

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2017

Michelle Posey
English II Honors
Katie Cipriano
3/9/17
Sexism In Just About Everything
    When you turn on the news, whether it is local or international, you will either hear about Donald Trump, racism, or sexism. One of those 3 things is always being discussed, they may all 3 be being discussed, or any combination. One of my personal pet peeves is when you hear women complaining about sexism. That drives me almost to the point of where I...

Seeking Peer Reviews