All writing published for Foreign Correspondent Competition 2017. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

Durva Kamdar (Singapore) published:

Drowning Delft: The Sinking of Shores

PROMPT: Foreign Correspondent Competition 2017

Delft is a petite town in western Netherlands. Like most of the country, it is known for its iconic landmarks such as tulip fields that are filled with appealing but yet, captivating and the canals that flow from one part of the attractive city to another. It is a popular tourist destination all year around and has about 96 000 residents. The enchanting city is also a famous historic landmark due to the burial site of Johannes Vermeer and the prestigious...

7e02d6c1 f1e4 49e6 b51f 414b2bf44b6d
2

Heyyitzme (New Zealand) published:

I Forgot!

I never knew my eyes could open so wide. I never knew that if I just left home for a little while I would see more to life. I thought a small little holiday would rip me away from my true home. But that thought was false. I have had such a great time on this holiday that I think I might stay just a little longer. When my time comes to go back home I think I'll just stay...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

BED0301 (United States) published:

FAR FROM HOME

Being far from home can be both a blessing and a curse. the reason being far from home can be a blessing is because it allows for someone to get away from what they are normally used to and they are able to open their eyes to a whole new world and become a new person and experience new things and see a different side of the world. The reason being far from home can be a curse is because...

Pandaa
1

Dprime3 (United States) published:

Prize

D

Default avatar user icon
3

Kristoff Misquitta (United States) published:

An Astronomical Renaissance: The Second Space Race

The mid-twentieth century. The world ushers in the dawn of a new era - one of exploration and curiosity; of inspiration and innovation. A bold, intrepid mankind gazes beyond the greenery and comfort of Planet Earth and sets its eyes up into the dark, vast unknown. The world becomes polarized as two antithetical superpowers, one of democracy and the other of totalitarianism, rise to the great challenge of reaching far beyond into a world waiting to be uncovered. The space...

Img 20170323 100333

Alexis Kuhns (United States) published:

Third world country problems

These days, one out of every five people lives below the poverty line, and almost a third of all the people on our planet live in so called third world countries. They somehow manage to live on less than a dollar a day, while almost half of the world’s population lives on less than two dollars a day. For most people throughout the developed world, the issues presented on our list have been resolved a long time ago, which makes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

Shannon Dockerty (Australia) published:

Who's Going To Play the Trump Card?

Many thousands of years ago, late in the Ice Age period, people crossed the Bering Land Bridge from Asia into Alaska. Their descendants explored the west coast of America, forming tribes and family groups. These people are known today as American Indians or Native Americans. They have lived in America for much longer than any other civilisations who have since migrated to the Americas.

The Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation is home to both the Dakota and Lakota people...

Dsc04487
1

Shanti (New Zealand) published:

Desperation, dust and drought: a Kenyan Crisis

In Kenya, it seems that there is nothing but emaciation. There are narrowed eyes in thin people, bony livestock eating slender grass--and the fields are nothing but dust. 
    75% of Kenya's 46.1 million people (1) are farmers. Now, 2.7 million people need food aid. (2) This is because of a severe drought--one that has continued for three years thus far.(3)
    23 of Kenya's 47 counties are severely affected by lack of rainfall. The already cash-strapped government...

Dsc04487
1

Shanti (New Zealand) published:

In Kenya, it seems that there is nothing but emaciation. There are skinny eyes in thin people, bony livestock eating slender grass--and the fields are nothing but dust. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm
1

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Kuri, the Robot Nanny

Today, I invite you to the world of robotics, through the discovery of an amazing robot, which can really make your day go smoothly.
Everyday, we see some new cool gadget or the other forming the headlines of the day’s news. Every month, some robot is launched to either clean up your house, do your shopping, play music, and do much more to make your day easier.
“At first, I thought Kuri would be a bit like an Amazon Echo strapped...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Train tracks close up 1680x1050 wide wallpapers.net
1
1

Jolin Low (Malaysia) published:

Stranger in Japan

I stood there,looking at the beautiful scene of Mt Fuji,in Japan.The sun started to set,as the wind blew my puffy face.I was there,because i want to catch the beautiful scene when the sun set.The place was covered with white snow.The cable car went down the hill.The wing once again blew me,and took my hat.It landed on a dead spiky tree,trapped there,forever.I left my hat there,as a gift to the tree.I took my phone,and took a picture.It was a bit blur,but...

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Kuri, the Robot Nanny

“At first, I thought Kuri would be a bit like an Amazon Echo...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

MzDoor'sClass (United States) published:

The Syrian Conflict

The Syrian Arab Republic, or as most call it, Syria, has been at war since Tuesday, March 15. The Syrian Civil War, as it’s been named, began when fifteen schoolchildren ages 8-15 were arrested for displaying graffiti in support of the Arab Spring, a string of anti-government rebellions, in March 2011.
  Among the group of children detained was Hamza Ali Al-Khateeb, age 13. Hamza spent around a month in Syrian government custody before his tortured corpse was returned to...

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm
1

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Kuri, the Robot Nanny

A very good day to you. I am Aliyah Banerjee, reporting to you from Techno News. Today, I invite you to the world of robotics, through the discovery of an amazing robot, which can really make your day go smoothly.
Everyday, we see some new cool gadget or the other forming the headlines of the day’s news. Every month, some robot is launched to either clean up your house, or do your shopping, or play music, and do much more...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

Durva Kamdar (Singapore) published:

Drowning Delft: The Sinking of Shores

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm
1

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Kuri, the Robot Nanny

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2019 05 31 at 3.15.34 pm

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Kuri, the Robot Nanny

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dsc04487
1
2

Shanti (New Zealand) published:

Here, there is nothing but emaciation. There are skinny eyes in thing people, bony livestock eating slender grass--and the fields are nothing but dust.
    75% (1) of Kenya's 46.1 million people (2.) are farmers. Now, 2.7 million people need help getting food.(3.) It's been this way for three years. (4.)
    23 of Kenya's 47 counties are severely affected by this drought. The already cash-strapped government is expending 105 million dollars towards relief, but it's not enough. Uhuru...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 6008
1

Feminist NG (Sweden) published:

War In Us

When I ask her she says we were just unlucky, when I ask him he says it was because of them. When I ask myself she tells me to shut up, but how could I? They don't understand, nobody on this truck does they don't know anything, they were just told to leave and do as they were told. I feel like vomiting but not because I watched my family suffer or because I watched them take my Hannah or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
2

Shannon Dockerty (Australia) published:

Who's Going To Play the Trump Card?

Seeking Peer Reviews

E7e9a773 fddd 4bd8 bc37 7ea2c78871fd
1

Riley Noel (United States) published:

Gambia Africa: Presidential Conflict

" It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it..."  Aung San Suu Kyi ( Nobel peace prize winner)This quote was put into example in the recent Gambian election. Gambia, a small country in the west of Africa, has been ruled for the past twenty-two years by Yahya Jammeh. However in the recent December election he was narrowly beaten by Adama Barrow. at first everything seemed to be fine, Mr.Jammeh...

Seeking Peer Reviews