All writing published for What Came Before

Published writing

Haleistorm (United States) published:

Bury You

PROMPT: What Came Before

Without a coffin to call home, it takes the human body about ten years to be reduced to a skeleton. 
It only took her two.
How could I let you get her?
I fought with everything I had.  
How did you get past me?
You were the darkness, she was the light, and I was the line in between. 
She was everything I loved about the world in five feet and four inches of strong bones and limitless love. ...

Emily Rice (United States) published:

Peepers

PROMPT: What Came Before

My dad calls late Sunday night and tells us to come and hear the frogs, so my brother and I hop in the car and drive to his warehouse in industrial West Eugene. My dad joins us and we make our way down the street toward the rusty yellow gate that leads into the wetlands. We pass by a row of mailboxes--when we were little, my brother and I used to run up and down this street checking every mailbox...

Seeking Peer Reviews

My fursona is a worm (Australia) published:

An explanation

PROMPT: What Came Before

It really does take a long time to arrive at some conclusions. First you have to collect the evidence, which can take bloody HOURS. Then you have to not die in that time, which can be hard when your hungry. And THEN there is the matter of putting together that conclusion which can take bloody MINUTES. Ok I know that isn't as long as hours or what ever, but still, quite a long time you know. That conclusion did come...

Seeking Peer Reviews

anatomicallycorrect (United States) published:

and I remember

PROMPT: What Came Before

I remember:

I am nine and I am alone in a house much too big for simply me. My older sister is out with friends, my mom is out at work, and I am alone. My past is blurry and obscure, in the way an old graphite drawing is - messy and dark, intricate designs all but forgotten as the graphite smears and the lines become smudges - because I cannot remember everything perfectly, but I can remember enough. 

I remember:
...

1
1

Ella Hambleton (Australia) published:

Emerald Eyes

PROMPT: What Came Before

Years this war has raged. Maps splattered with blood have been trampled in raids. Steel has blunted after shearing hundreds of heads from their shoulders. The battle rush has filled me with gallons of fire, my pockets have been lined by the gold of the dead. Whispers float through walls, the very stars listening and proclaiming to those who wish to hear. Hundreds of men fallen, women taken, boys shredded, no matter. Only one precious life drives my swinging sword...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Emily Rice (United States) published:

Peepers

PROMPT: What Came Before

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emily Rice (United States) published:

Peepers

PROMPT: What Came Before

Seeking Peer Reviews

grief-bacon (Australia) published:

Superhero

PROMPT: What Came Before

Love. A strange term. To be loved, to be held in a manner that is loving.
But how does it feel? The crushing agony of being away from the person that you live for. And to never be loved is to be alone.
Imagine finding your other half. Or never finding it. Some things can never be found. You search all your life for a happiness. But when it is found, the goal is impossible to reach.
Can you see...

1

sams-hair-Sherlocks-scarf-tens-lefteyebrow-harrys-scar (Australia) published:

8 Seconds

PROMPT: What Came Before

1-She inhales
2-She exhales
3-Memories flash before her, a dark haired boy with green eyes and soft lips, a pale man with sharp cheekbones and a gruff voice, a petite girl with blonde hair and freckled skin. A kiss, a lover, a friend. All had betrayed her. She had no-one, nothing.
4-Her hands in dark hair, soft lips crushing against hers, green eyes staring deep into her soul. A door opened, a hand slapped her cheek. She looked up at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Michael O'Brien (United States) published:

Growing up

PROMPT: What Came Before

When I was a kid, I always wanted to explore. Whether it be something I have already explored or something new that I have never seen before. I always dreamed of going to the moon, visiting the bottom of the ocean or going deep into the amazon rainforest. My eagerness to find something new could never be settled. That was until I grew up and lost my inspiration to be something I cannot

1
1

Billy Gene Ongsingco Balsamo (Philippines) published:

I was a God

PROMPT: What Came Before

I was a God (not a real God, just someone who is very close to being worshiped by my peers).

I was smart (the normal kind of smart. I was good with my academics).

I was also smart (the other kind smart. I knew how to react to most situations).

I was strong (my friends came to me for support and encouragement).

I was cute (girls liked me a lot).

I was fun (no dull times. I enjoyed everything).

I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

facesosunny (United Kingdom) published:

he finally said "we don't love each other anymore"

PROMPT: What Came Before

He hasn't said a word since he walked in and sat down. The boy directly opposite me still looks the same as the day that I met him, all curly hair and vivid green eyes with lashes that I have always been jealous of. Everything about him is familiar, from his favourite blue sweater to his stinky old sneakers, but the person sitting in front of me seems so different. It seems like yesterday that we met; a chance encounter...

Seeking Peer Reviews

chasing_elysian (Singapore) published:

Just Five.

PROMPT: What Came Before

Legs dangling from the sides of the wobbly table, he starts to count off his fingers. Slowly, he chants each and every digit, his hoarse whisper morphing into a threatening tone.

"Five!" His sudden growl did not startle me, as I was too intent on observing his dexterous fingers and and darting eyes. "What five?" I question. He drops his limbs and slides off the table."You know it."

"I don't," I quip. He shrugs, his shoulders weighed down with invisible...

Seeking Peer Reviews

jessmarydew (Australia) published:

Before

PROMPT: What Came Before

WHAT CAME BEFORE.

Why is it that I should know what came before?
I was not there to see, to feel, to breathe in and experience those happenings.

Perhaps my parents loved each other before I was here. That's what came before me. Love.
Perhaps my sister believed she had a purpose before she lost her boyfriend. That's what came before death. Purpose.
Perhaps my life would have not been so broken before this turn of the world. That's what...

BAB0402@dcds.edu (United States) published:

Joseph Henein

PROMPT: What Came Before

oh kimosabi this is my hobby

1

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

Hair

PROMPT: What Came Before

Her husband is going to be angry. He almost always was, a curse and a shard of green glass between his two front teeth. He grew too full of her by their third year, when he launched his campaign for president and the campaign manager looked at her too often. She was too wide by the hips and soft at the knuckles. Her fingers drooped at the joints and like everyone knows, no president has ever been elected without a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Dprime3 (United States) published:

The Moment

PROMPT: What Came Before

The big panda bear finally reached the river. Deprived of water, food, and love- he began to weep. The panda looked in his reflection and realized his colors represented balance. The panda eventually found love and started a family. At this single moment, the panda realized the importance of balance.

Seeking Peer Reviews

KittyCatsRule99 (Australia) published:

The Family You Never Knew

PROMPT: What Came Before

The car was speeding up closing in on the truck. The driver goes to turn, the car goes in between the truck and the turn. The truck slams into the car and you hear a faint hissing noise. The driver of the truck is unconscious the seat belt tight on his stomach a trickle of blood running down his head. The hissing noise grows louder. A cigerate is thrown out of a car window it touches the liquid dripping slowly...

Abigail Mohr (United States) published:

Snow

PROMPT: What Came Before

Jocelyn had never liked the snow.

Obviously, that was something of an issue in Newport, but who says you choose where you're born? Sure, Jocelyn will shovel it. She can drive in it. She'll even walk through it if she really needs to. But hanging around outside in the snow? For no particular reason other than ostensibly to get cold enough to really want hot chocolate when you come back in? Forget it.

So when the first winter without snow...

1

Natashia Grace (Sweden) published:

Hope

PROMPT: What Came Before

" Adam!" I ran towards him "ADAM!" He turned around and looked me strait in the eye and my head stopped spinning, my life stopped spinning and for a second things made sense. "Adam please come..." He shook his head. Why? Why? Why? That was what I kept thinking, why dad? Why today? Why us? Why me? Why the woman named mother? Why life? "Adam come... PlEASE!" That's when I realised I was begging him. "No...I'm tired" I was puzzled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nika (United States) published:

Before the Blaze

PROMPT: What Came Before

I felt any control I had left leave my body as I lovingly poured the gasoline around the building. Did I hate these people? Yeah. Yeah I really did. I began taking slow, measured steps as I rounded the building, continuing to pour the pungent liquid on the concrete. These people messed up my life. They took my family and murdered my little sister. They kept my twin brother locked up in this building too- he was all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

Spotlight

PROMPT: What Came Before

The lights are dazzling. I cough and open my mouth, my voice hanging in my dry throat. I feel the strange pulse still beating at the back of my mind, a thumping behind my ears. All around me is silence and waiting. A sea of emotionless stares, desperate for me to open my mouth and shock them. Waiting for me to be something that I... I'm not sure I can be.

I think of three months ago, when I got...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

HeyThereRose (United Kingdom) published:

too late

PROMPT: What Came Before

I am sitting in a large bright room. the flowers on the window sill give the illusion of hope, but its as fake as the flowers. we all can sense it. the dreadful hopelessness that hangs around, a suffocating blanket.this place has a stench of decay, seeping through the mask of chemicals and disinfectant. in the corner an old man hunches, eyes staring unseeing at a decade old copy of the Times. a 5 year old girl has given up...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

facesosunny (United Kingdom) published:

PROMPT: What Came Before

He hasn't said a word since he walked in and sat down. The boy directly opposite me still looks the same as the day that I met him, all curly hair and vivid green eyes. Everything about him is familiar, from his favourite blue sweater to his stinky old sneakers, but the person sitting in front of me seems so different.
I have no idea how we got to this.

We were in love, so deeply and crazily in love...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Natashia Grace (Sweden) published:

Hope

PROMPT: What Came Before

Seeking Peer Reviews