All writing published for My December Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

Angelina Nguyen (Australia) published:

How I Found Something To Love In December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

December brings adventure, fun and games, great good and goodbyes, all wrapped in this bow that is only opened when the new year arrives.

There is this feeling we have when it is a certain time of year. There is this familiar buzz for the first day of school, the highs of falling in love, a dread, but also determination for exams and assessments. I keep making the effort to try to describe these atmospheres we create around ourselves during...
Seeking Peer Reviews

fad0202 (United States) published:

Winter

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

1.) Christmas
2.) hot chocolate
3.) netflix
4.) sleeping
5.) vacation
6.) family
7.) snow
8.) books
9.) sweaters
10.) presents

SideraAmare (United Kingdom) published:

Magic of December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Waking up with a overflowing feel of joy; my eyes land on a red stocking that I've had for years, with my name still written on in white paint and touched up in a couple places. It is filled with tiny nick nacks: a rubber shaped like a burger, a rainbow pencil and a cool bouncy ball. I look at each little gift with happiness in a room which isn't quite my room yet. Boxes are stacked against the wall,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hanna:) (United States) published:

My Sandy December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Salt water and wind flow through my hair as I drove down the highway next to the beach that I have lived by for the past three years. I always wear my teal winter jacket and boots in these weather conditions, yet I still drive with the windows cracked open so I can smell the ocean. Salty air and a white cloudy sky will always be my December. 

I love coming home to a warm house that smells like pine...

Seeking Peer Reviews

christiansnow (United States) published:

YellowStone horror

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

“See ya mom & dad” Those were the last words Madison said to her parents before her life was changed for ever. Madison, Alexis,Isaiah, and James were all  naturalists and they set out for what they thought would be one of the best things they'll ever experience. A week trip to yellowstone park where the wild life used to be so beautiful before the huge fire spread and almost burned everything down. It still has some great looking nature still...

D.Carter (United States) published:

Dining With my Thoughts

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Light snow drifts towards the ground from the sky gracefully, slowly painting the grass of the earth. After a while, I look outside and find that the snow has now covered the distance between the two sides of my family. I saunter towards the table, as my grandmother begins placing the food onto the table. The strong aroma of the food is powerful and mesmerizing to the other family members, as they quickly follow the scent to the table and...

Sarah Feng (United States) published:

shi er yue

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

When I think of December, I think of sticky-hot air, sweet like a peach pit.
  It sounds backward. I live in California, where December is frigidly cold and glazed with frost, but my parents and I fly to China every December and visit my dad's hometown Zhi Jiang. My earliest memories are from hot, muggy summers spent in my grandmother's apartment there. I have learned to associate the stifling humidity with China, and so when I think...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jsmith (United States) published:

The Ending that Began

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Phillip gazed at me bleakly, his dark blond hair curling on his forehead with sweat. His full lips were set in an uncharacteristically straight line, a sober expression melded into his normally exuberant face. It looked unnatural. A grim Phillip. I would have laughed if I weren’t about to cry. His brown eyes were undaunting, bracing for my reaction. My heart squeezed, as if gripped by the icy fist of winter, when I realized that he didn’t really care how...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Melina Maldonado (United States) published:

Decmeber

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

It means the dark comes sooner and the sun sets faster.
​It means the birds don't chirp and their branches become frosted.
​It means bundling up in layers so the cold doesn't hit your skin and the wind doesn't give you chills.
​It means wearing jackets for long periods of time even after you've stepped inside.
​It means the fireplace is burning with blankets and hot chocolate.
​It means the nights the will glow without stars but Christmas lights.
​It means the stores...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Swierczynski (United States) published:

What's One More?

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Do you know the feeling of being completely aware of your clothing? According to Psychology, you become numb to that feeling. You forget you are wearing a sweater or a t shirt unless someone reminds you something is clinging onto your body. I constantly feel my clothes on me. Every bead of sweat clinging to my sleeves is a cold reminder. I can feel the collar tightening and strangling my neck. I try to breathe, but it constricts tighter....

Seeking Peer Reviews

oliviiamay (United States) published:

Disconcerting December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Everyone seems to shine besides me. Shining in the reflection of the dewy pearl droplets falling from the heavens. It makes them feel alive, it makes them warm. It freezes my bones, my hands curl into fists. I do not enjoy the dark evenings, I do not come alive in the cold. I try to turn towards the lights, they are artificial. I would like to enjoy like they do, however my joy lies elsewhere. It lies in soft fields,...

Chantal Peng (Canada) published:

City Square

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

A lone figure walked languidly towards the centre of City Square. He was met by about a dozen or so yearning individuals. He looked at them nervously, but did not acknowledge them any further. As he prepared himself for what was to come, a few more bodies mingled into the crowd. All was silent; all waiting with bated breaths.

Across the square, an old woman began setting up her acclaimed macaron stall. A long time ago apparently macarons were not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

emily_m (United States) published:

From Grinch to Who

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

When I was nine years old, I moved to Georgia from Maryland. This was an interesting experience for me because Georgian winters pale in comparison to the Decembers in the north. I had once gotten out of school for a week because the snow came up past my knees. I spent the entire time outside with my siblings, making snow angels and having snowball fights. We would come inside after the sun had set, blue-lipped and shaking in our boots,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Josephine O'Grady (United States) published:

The First Eight Days

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

The bells rings, marking the end of morning band. Students came in an hour ago with traces of sleep still left on their faces. Now, they are out the door quickly, books in hands and goodbyes to friends thrown over their shoulders.

"Practice!" Miss Fretz calls to those remaining in the music room. "The concert is next week!"

She turns to me. "Are you staying until next period?" she asks.

I nod. "I'll be in the back room, playing."

"No...

1

(whatsagracie) (United States) published:

This Is Not the End

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

My December is unlike any other I have ever come to know. This year has been tear soaked so frequently that the ink on my calendar has begun to run together, the paper is wrinkled. This is the year of love.
    December has brought promise into a world that had known none. December brings her, ​the light of my life. On the fourth, I told her that I loved her. After the words were spoken and I couldn't cram them...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

CCReed (United States) published:

Changing December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

December for me always begins with a prayer. A constant prayer for snow, for my ever decreasing health, for work, and that maybe,  I will find something under my Christmas tree and that I will have enough money to buy a present for someone else.

It's hard living in a basement during Christmas time. The low windows give us a beautiful view of the shiny, silver window wells, and sometimes the mice chew holes through the screens and make their...

Seeking Peer Reviews

canonsousa1 (United States) published:

My December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

December. Just hearing the name sparks ideas of bright lights on the Christmas tree, presents with shiny bows, snowball fights and warm hot chocolate by the fire, or for some a menorah burning through the days. As I grow up, December becomes less and less joyful. The days of fun holiday parties in school and spending class time doing special holiday projects and activities, have transitioned into brutal final exams which torment students just before the break. However, the positive...

mmczepiel (United States) published:

What December Means to Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

What December Means to Me
December is icy and frigid in the state of Pennsylvania. I say that I like the cold weather, but that is easier said than to exist in. December is full of essays and exams. It is working two retail jobs and answering hundreds of phone calls about the popular toy that nobody can get their hands on and making sure the customers find the right size for their matching family Christmas pajamas. December is me...

Ashley Connor (United States) published:

What December Means to Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

For me, December means that I can celebrate Christmas all together with my family, friends, and keeping the birth of Jesus Christ in Christmas. When I am with my family and friends there is a sense of security, comradery, love, joy, and just happiness. When I am with my friends and family on Christmas Eve, it is at church for a candle lighting service. The church always have seven and half feet tall trees up and decorated with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

ilangston (United States) published:

An Angel's Red Thread

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

Cold toes. Crisp air. Big scarves. Ice-skating in Steel City. Bright, white lights. Hot chocolate. Snuggling under a blanket fresh out the dryer. Being with those who love you most. Snowflakes. Singing. Love. Crimson bows. Movies. Pajamas. Angels. Celebration.

Just a few of the many things that December means to me. December was a time, for me, in which I would always dress in my nicest clothes and visit my Nana’s house. A quaint, cottage-like home with the whole Christmas...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

silentkillakiz (United States) published:

Love

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

With flushed cheeks and tiny hands, the small person gently clutched the giant finger. The weather outside was chilly, and the stars were spread sparsely across the sky, flushed out under all of the city lights. Adults and children alike laid tucked in their beds, peacefully sleeping, a strong contrast compared to the bustling get-up-and-go of the hospital.
    There was always something occurring there. Lives needed to be saved, diseases needed to be treated, and babies needed to born. It was a non-stop cycle...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

waldenl0504 (United States) published:

The Ferris Wheel

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

My eyes shine bright, the lights around me reflected in them.

​But I'm looking up.

​I'm looking up, at something that no longer exists, longing for it. Not yet able to see what exists now, only holding on to what used to be. An ancient map.

​I find myself looking up at this ancient map often. I do not know why, but for some unexplainable reason, I'm just drawn to it.

Especially tonight. When I really need it.

​I pull my eyes away...
Seeking Peer Reviews

JordanE5 (United States) published:

Wrapped In December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

I glance up from my multiple pages of unknown geometry problems to see infinite reflective particles gracing the lifeless football field. The colossal classroom windows display the first sign of the season, as everything is wrapped in December. This is what floats through my thoughts as I am scorched by the July heat. This is what I fantasise of when the car window is drenched by the rain of May. Amidst all the elements, through all the seasons, I dream...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Emm (New Zealand) published:

My December Dread

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

I remember those early summer days like these past 3 years never happened. They were pleasant and warm, the sunshine was filled with delight and excitement of the young and old: for school to finish, for a much needed holiday, for a family-filled christmas morning. December is supposed the be the most wonderful month of the year; but for my family and I, we wished December never reared it’s ugly head: not three years ago, and especially not each year...

Seeking Peer Reviews

A Rose-Coloured Sky (New Zealand) published:

On falling

PROMPT: My December Competition 2016

December is continually being punched in the face.

It hurts, being punched, even when you're expecting it, armed against it in the only way you know how - with nonchalant indifference. Pain blooms, red as your blush, a deep velvety red bordering on purple. Then comes the sting, and you hold yourself as the initial burst of pain flashes past. You smile at her, pretending to be unaffected as the second wave hits. It's all you do, pretend to be...

Seeking Peer Reviews