This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

My december competition   write the world

My December Competition

Full Details

*This competition is now closed but you are still more than welcome to respond to this prompt!*

December is a month full to the brim. These 31 days contain ritual and family, celebration and contemplation, giving and receiving, traveling and staying put. In Adelaide, Australia, December marks the beginning of summer—sundrenched and hot. In Calgary, Canada, December is icy and dark—the light draining from the sky by mid-afternoon. This last page on the Gregorian calendar inspires both reflection on the year past and projection into the year to come. What does December mean to you?  

This month, dear writers, craft your own personal narrative inspired by December. What does this month look like in your part of the world? What about these 31 days do you hold close? In 600-1,000 words, tell us something specific and particular about your December.

What is creative nonfiction, you might be wondering. Often defined as a personal essay or personal narrative, this genre braids storytelling with reflection. We want to hear about an experience in your life, rife with characters and description and conflict and scene… but we also want to hear how you make sense of this experience, how it sits with you, and why it has surfaced as writing. You may not address each of these points explicitly, but the answers should be somewhere in the fabric of your writing.

Guiding Ideas 
  1. Know the heart of your narrative. Oftentimes we don’t know the “main point” when we start writing, and are instead guided by instinct. Something is telling us that a particular experience is significant and worth investigating. It is the process of writing itself that reveals to us the purpose for telling our story. So, although you don’t need to articulate a hypothesis or point or purpose before you start writing, at some stage it’s useful to step back and identify the following elements to your piece: 1) What is powerful about the experience? 2)What has it taught you? 3) How has it changed you? You may not answer these questions directly in your final piece, but thinking about these questions will infuse your writing with significance.  
  2. Write to your Audience. Your audience for this narrative is a large, vibrant, supportive community… of mostly strangers! And strangers from across the world, no less, who don’t know what the view is out your bedroom window, or the cadence of your father’s voice, or the way your best friend shuffles when he walks. Make sure to give your readers all the details they need to understand your experience.  
  3. Find a Universal Thread. Although you are telling a story that is personal in nature, are there elements you can develop to make it resonate with a broader audience? Here are some options to consider: 1) Appeal to your readers through emotion, allowing them to feel a particular experience. 2) Demonstrate how the subject you’re exploring also impacts others. 3) Demand the reader’s attention by expressing the urgency of an issue or problem. 4) Be particular. We naturally relate to a story when we can step inside the shoes of the main character or narrator. Report your story with attention to specific detail and nuance. 5) Show your foibles. Being honest about your weaknesses, insecurities, or mistakes cultivates empathy in readers.  
  4. Balance Scene and Summary. As you develop your narrative, consider your methods of delivery. Scenes will draw in your reader, build tension, and offer telling details. Usually a personal narrative will revolve around 1-3 key scenes. Summary and reflection are also important. Summary efficiently delivers information (and can set the stage for scenes), while reflection allows you to communicate significance to the readers, building their investment in your experience.    
  5. Consider Time as Fluid. Do the events in your personal narrative unfold chronologically (the order in which they happened)? Or do they jump around in time, according to their connection to one another and their significance? Organizing your piece in a sequence that is not chronological can build suspense and a sense of purpose in our writing. For example, you might throw us into a dramatic scene in the opening paragraph, and then back up, filling in details to help ground the first scene in context. Jumping into the past is called flashback and into the future is called flashforward—two techniques to keep in your toolbox.  

Who is Eligible? 
Young writers ages 13-18 

Length 
600-1,000 words. 

Prizes 
  • Best Entry: $100 (winning piece + author interview will be featured on Write the World’s website and blog) 
  • Runner up: $50 
  • Best Peer Review: $50 (reviewer interview will be featured on Write the World’s website and blog) 

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions? 
  • Prizes: The winning entrant will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.       
  • Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.       
  • Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday December 5th and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.   

Key Dates 
  • November 28: Competition Opens  
  • December 5: Submit draft for Expert Review (Optional. We will review the first 100 drafts submitted.)      
  • December 9: Reviews returned to Writers  
  • December 13: Final Submissions  
  • December 23: Winners Announced  
Upcoming Competition 
“TV Pilot Writing” Opens Monday, January 2nd.  
Stay tuned for more details!  

Due Dates
  • Dec 5 - Drafts Due to Expert Reviewers

• Dec 13 - Competition Deadline

Resources