All writing published for Speech Writing Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

2
2

Aspen Gray (United States) published:

I Am An Immigrant

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I was born in Chile, land of my mother
     my mother’s mother
          my grandmother’s mother.

My blood runs thick with saltwater
descended from sailors and fishermen
The chimes of a hundred seagulls cry my spirit’s song
I sing with her voice in choirs and choirs, manjar-sweet and ocean-strong.

My father is American, the great-great-grandchild of immigrants
The amalgamation of pioneers and pilgrims.
The fire of a hundred spices from Italy to Spain
Boil his spirit...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Aspen Gray (United States) published:

I Am An Immigrant

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I was born in Chile, land of my mother
     my mother’s mother
          my grandmother’s mother.

My blood runs thick with saltwater
descended from sailors and fishermen

The mix of a hundred spices from Italy to Spain
Boil his spirit...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Book_Nerd (Australia) published:

Pep Talk

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

For the first time in your life, open your eyes and actually look around. 

This is where the world is. And do you know what? Its an awesome place. Have Look at at the people. What do you see? Do you know what I see?

Black
White 
Short 
Tall
Asian
African
Australian 
American
Rich
Poor Beautiful

And do you know what we have in commen? We all are human. We have a beating heart. Yes, I mean that thing that goes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Aspen Gray (United States) published:

I Am An Immigrant

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I am an immigrant.

I was born in Chile, land of my mother, my mother’s mother, my grandmother’s mother.
My blood runs thick with saltwater, descended from sailors and fishermen.
The chimes of a hundred seagulls from coasts to the islands

My father is American. He is the great-grandchild of immigrants
The amalgamation of European pioneers and pilgrims.
Boil his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aspen Gray (United States) published:

I Am An Immigrant

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I am an immigrant.

Boil his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Applecharm11 Starhorse (Singapore) published:

To those who wear the masks

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

As I speak these words, this speech, I'm speaking to everyone one of you. Even those who aren't themselves at the moment. I know you're there. Masks or not, listen to what I have to say.

I do not despise the mask. The mask can be fun, make us someone we arent, allow us to try another role we could never imagine. But when that mask stays on too long, it melts, and stays on.And soon you don't realise you're...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sam Danquah (United States) published:

FREE NATION

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

This is for the broken souls, the outcasts, and those who hide their creativity and true selves. I know how you feel,
Broken souls-
I have been to the depths of hell just like you have, and have faced a thousand demons. I know life gets tough and the anxiety that runs through your heart runs deep like a bottomless pit. It feels like everything you touch dissolves into emptiness and the relationships you try to build are merely illusions...

Seeking Peer Reviews

caroline_swann (United States) published:

The Last Generation to Do Anything About It

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Glacier National Park, nicknamed the Crown Jewel of the Continent, preserves more than a million acres of nearly untouched forests, alpine meadows, crystal clear lakes, and towering peaks. Its spectacular, glaciated landscape is a must-see for anyone who enjoys breathtaking views and beautiful outdoor adventures. At the age of eleven, I was lucky enough to see it. During my family’s visit to Glacier we saw some of the grandest sights I had ever seen. We played at the bases of...

1

phanadams (United Kingdom) published:

Opinions

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

It’s easier for us, how so?
With all the depression, the children feeling so low,
Our messed up generation that no one likes,
The ones stuck on their phones, old rusty bikes.
Fresh air, what’s that? I only know work,
Harder GCSE’s, though there is no job as a perk,
Body image, be perfect, you can’t be skinny or fat,
Photoshop is great, natural what’s that?
Living in fear of internet crazes,
Killer clowns that are meant to be...

RoninWolfHeart (United States) published:

The Good Side of Humanity

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Life in an interesting, confusing mess we all deal with.  I look out at everyone here, and I see so many things.  None of us are the same, we are all beautiful and different in our own ways.  But something I know all of us face, all of us live through, is pain.  I look at all of you, I look at me, and I know that we will not live a life void of tragedy and struggle.  This is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

David Levitsky (United States) published:

Busan to Boston: The Story of my Mother's Immigration to America

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Picture dropping out of school, leaving the place you call home, and hopping on a plane with a one way ticket to a foreign land an ocean away. Imagine beginning a new life with just 5,000 dollars, with no relatives or friends to guide you. Hard to fathom, I bet. Believe it or not, my mom lived out this scenario when she decided to leave her home for America.

In this speech I want tell the story of my Mother’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Noor Junaina (Pakistan) published:

Pen is mightier than sword

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

A powerful bomb rips apart a shopping complex and hundreds of corpses produce a macabre scene. At one comer lies the lifeless body of a student, his cold hands clutching on to a pen.
This pen in his hand stands for dreams—dreams of a bright future where he would use his intelligence to contribute to mankind’s march towards a better tomorrow. But these dreams bite the dust as the pen lies on the floor splattered with blood. The repulsive fog...

sharonlin (United States) published:

Compassion

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Inside every one of you is a secret power.

You may not know what it is. You may not even know that it exists. But I assure you, that inside each of you is a unique ability, waiting to be found.

When we came together today, and I looked through the crowd at all of your eager faces, many of them shadowed with exhaustion from a long night's flight, I didn't see a multitude of individuals. Rather, I saw a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Emery (Ireland) published:

#Likeagirl

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

'' I do not wish women to have more power over men, but over themselves'' ~ Mary Wollstonecraft                      We, today in 2016, live in a patriarchal world. To be a female real estate broker in America working, on average, a forty hour week will earn 23% less than men under the same circumstances. Irish men will earn 14.4% more than Irish women under the same circumstances. In 2008 Irish men...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lilly.VB (United Kingdom) published:

Light and Dark

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

There's so much dark in the world.  

Suicide rates, war, murder...I won't continue because I don't need to, it's not like anyone is blind or deaf to the darkness that plagues the human existence. I mean, we can't ignore it, it's so important to be knowledgeable and be aware of the dark issues in the world. 

But what about the light?

I feel like we are always so engrossed in the negative points of life we almost shut out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The_One_Who_Lives (United States) published:

What makes a nerd?

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Recently, I read a book about a girl who considered herself a nerd. There was one line in the said book that claimed: “To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one." I couldn't help but disagree. A nerd isn't someone that prefers fictional worlds to the real one, nerds are people that are genuinely excited about something.

So what about you? Do you consider yourself a nerd? If you said no,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

J. (Serbia) published:

Kill It before It Lays Eggs

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Destroy everything. We are the generation of wreaking balls, the generation of bombs, dangerous explosives and unstable gases. We are the comet destined to crush this planet and break it in half ending all that is living; all that is holy. We are the enemies and the traitors, the bullets going towards a young soldier’s heart. We are the parasite slowly killing its host by feeding on its flesh craving more and more each moment. We are the virus,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

jaime__vc (Australia) published:

How Much Does Peace Cost?

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Peace is the natural way of human nature. It is war that is taught. We teach our people to fight, yet everyone knows the comforting thought of kindness. Love is universal but war is the one language that not everyone can understand, no matter how much teaching is done. It seems over the years, we as a nation, we as a globe have forgotten the love and kindness that once came naturally to us. What seemed as easy as riding...

Xena Wolf (United States) published:

Damsel in Distress

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I’ve been driving for almost exactly two years now, and there are many aspects of it that I enjoy, and many that I do not. On the one hand, I love the independence that it gives me, and I find it almost meditative to drive along the windy, hilly roads near my home, especially when they’re encased in fog. And having a block of time almost every day in which I can clear my mind and just listen to music...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Angelina Nguyen (Australia) published:

Act, Don't React

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

You. You hear on the radio that another earthquake has struck in Nepal. You see on the evening news that there has been a mass shooting at a nightclub in Orlando. You read the papers to learn that more rape cases, more kidnappings, more assaults are arising. You sit back and you let out an "aw, how unfortunate" or a "that's horrible", only to then go back to your morning coffee, scrolling past the article, changing the channel, turning the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nsing (Singapore) published:

Writing Worlds

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Do you ever feel worried? Do you ever feel stressed? Do you just want pick up a book and escape all that? Well,guess what! Do it! You may think stepping into another character's shoes, feeling their stress may not help. But it does. Best part,it's your imagination,you can feel it,see it and breathe it however you want. How does it make you want to do that? It's the writing that makes it unforgettable. How do you write like that readers...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hercules (South Africa) published:

ITS MEANINGLESS SENSE TO ME I THINK

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

I've lived a vivid life that shows my ways of life as nothing but an ordinary lie I've felt a many sorrows and felt a great deal a grief.My life is just a road to an end I do no know why I write but to me its just a pleasing sentiment that gives me hope that I shall live to see the sky above.I see war destroying lives and homes and peoples hearts and money corrupting those that have...

1

imdivergent247 (United States) published:

Everyone Thinks

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

Have you ever stopped, just for a minute, to think about the world today? All the busy people, lost in their own thoughts, submissive and clueless to the unfairness of the universe. Why is it so unfair? Bullying, that's why. Just think about how hard it would be to suffer the pain of hurtful actions and words. It would be as if every single word being said is a cut or a bruise. Every single action just makes the whole...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

punk_princess_23 (United States) published:

Through the Darkness

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

4, 250-The number of teenagers who commit suicide each year in the U.S.

Hardly anyone wants to talk about suicide
It's a topic that most people would like to avoid
Would like to ignore
We think that if we don't talk about
Depression
Anxiety
Suicide
That will all just...

Go away.

But it won't!
4,250 teens commit suicide every year
That's not counting the teens who just
Think about it
Or who try-
And Fail

So much pressure is put...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ALangford (United Kingdom) published:

Osborne's Worst Nightmare

PROMPT: Speech Writing Competition 2016

“Why don't we have a little game? Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive.” 
These words were written by John Osborne in 'Look Back in Anger'.

It's been 60 years since those words were first written, and Osborne would be turning in his grave. In fact, not only Osborne - all of the beauty, all of the art, all of the literature that we love was written by individuals who were essentially on a...
Seeking Peer Reviews