Photo 1444075107151 b2090be89337

Full Details

Ever notice the different way people walk? Some stroll or saunter, while others trudge or tromp, plod or prowl, slog or stomp… trek, glide, march, scurry or scuttle.
The way someone moves through the world can reveal much about who they are, where they’ve come from, and their sense of self. Read the examples below—as well as these by KamilaAllin and Riley Noel—and then write your own walking description about a real or fictional character.
Eudora Welty, “A Worn Path”
It was December—a bright frozen day in the early morning. Far out in the country there was an old Negro woman with her head tied in a red rag, coming along a path through the pinewoods. Her name was Phoenix Jackson. She was very old and small and she walked slowly in the dark pine shadows, moving a little from side to side in her steps, with the balanced heaviness and lightness of a pendulum in a grandfather clock. She carried a thin, small cane made from an umbrella, and with this she kept tapping the frozen earth in front of her. This made a grave and persistent noise in the still air that seemed meditative, like the chirping of a solitary little bird.
John Updike, “A & P”
She was the queen. She kind of led them, the other two peeking around and making their shoulders round. She didn't look around, not this queen, she just walked straight on slowly, on these long white prima donna legs. She came down a little hard on her heels, as if she didn't walk in her bare feet that much, putting down her heels and then letting the weight move along to her toes as if she was testing the floor with every step, putting a little deliberate extra action into it.