All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

1

apoll-oh-no (Australia)() published:

"Dance with me?"

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

"Dance with me?"
My heart froze solid. 
"Dance with you?"
A soft smile fell across her face. 
"Yes. It's obviously been a while?"
My nails were tearing my jeans.
"Well.. Yeah! I'd... I'd love too."
She held out a hand for me to take. Her skin was cold and rough, completely unlike last time.
In silence, we moved closer to each other.
Her chin rested on my shoulder. Not knowing how to dance, we moved slowly in circles.
"You...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kristen Siegel (United States of America)() published:

Whistler

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The frost-stiffened grass whispered hoarsely against her heavy boots as she shuffled across the lawn. Although the hour hand was just brushing the 10, the seemingly permanent darkness of winter made it appear later. She didn't know what precisely she was looking for, but an inexplicable need to find had shaken her from her Netflix-coma and brought her here. 
    At the first unearthly strains of an unfamiliar whistled tune, the compulsion dissipated.
    Trancelike, she followed it...

LauraWrites (Canada)() published:

The Healing

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

1
1

leadinghomeward (United States of America)() published:

a thought

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

I still don't understand exactly why I stopped loving him. 

He was my world once. My naive spirit and optimistic view of life applied to him just as it did every aspect of my life. I thought he would change.

I thought he loved me-- he did, in his own twisted way. 

We were happy. 

And then he hurt me and it went away. 

Love supposed to cover a multitude of sins, isn't it? 

Why does the person I once...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Book_Nerd (Australia)() published:

A Taste to Remember

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The smell of sugar and roses spread through the air, wafting into peoples noses, activating their senses and spreading smiles throughout the room.

Fresh, straight out of the oven, warm and gooey, everybody wanted a taste, a mouthful of heaven, and rushed to line up for the delicious surprise. The sweet taste of strawberries with vanilla consumed peoples taste buds. For people living under the line of poverty, the act of a cupcake, the sweet taste in their mouths, would...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Matthew Harris (United States of America)() published:

Feverish State of Mind

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Health of body worth more than winning lottery ticket. I attest such testimonial rests with this (sic) wordsmith, who finds himself besieged with an invisible army of imp paling, rogue sear trumpeting virus weasels. This feverish pitch temporary clouds ability to weather ordinary stress, rains down, and I wonder whatsapp pining to my body plagued with plenti of infectious microbes to warrant kung foo fighting abilities wrenched off kilter, and hammering noggin with tension ill legal gully zooming banshees loosed...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Shanti (New Zealand)() published:

Leaving Home

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

I just wanted him to forgive me.
But it started raining, and he backed away, cowering. No-one wants to understand this power. 
I longed to walk home, but I had no way to tell if I had a home, a direction to go.
Why did the gods give me this gift? I wondered. Why did the demons curse me in this way? 
I couldn't stop the rain that followed me. I couldn't stop loving him. I couldn't stop the...

Gabriella Downing (United States of America)() published:

The Runaway

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

My feet pounded against the cold ground,the wind blowing my brown hair around like wispes. My heart pounding at the second. I was free,free from that old town ,free from my responsibilitys, free from my old life. It was like I was A bird being released form a rusty cage. And I was happy. My life was changing for the better and it felt amazing. I stopped running to take a breath of fresh air, letting it cleanse my system....

1
1

Haleistorm (United States of America)() published:

You're Okay

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

"They found something," he said, putting his hand on his neck. "Right here."
My heart pounded, but my blood ran cold. 
"They don't know what it is yet," he said. "They're going to do a bunch of tests. Cat scans, IV, ultrasounds, and stuff."
The room started swaying, and my stomach hurt. I couldn't breathe.
No, I thought. Not him.
He put one arm around me and gave me a squeeze.
"It's okay," he said. "You're okay,"
But he didn't...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Fones (Singapore)() published:

The Abduction on 9th Street

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

I'd not known my parents existed until later in life where I learnt in Biology class that we all had two. I had grown up in an orphanage all my life, and never told the truth. Returning to the home, I observed the children lined up in rows of mattresses, silent on their beds. Those were the ones who knew why they were there. Others ran about, without a care in the world. They knew nothing about their parents. Ten...

3

apoll-oh-no (Australia)() published:

"Dance with me?"

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

"Dance with me?"
My heart froze solid. 
"Dance with you?"
A soft smile fell across her face. 
"Yes. It's obviously been a while?"
My nails was tearing my jeans.
"Well.. Yeah! I'd... I'd love too."
"You...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

lyrathunder22 (United States of America)() published:

Shattered

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

He was an artist, and the ice was his canvas. 
    Ari stepped back to admire his creation. His eyes traced the arch of its slender neck and the elegant sweep of flared wings on the verge of flight.
    Perfect.
    But his masterpiece was already melting away. Nobody would ever see it the way he did: new and pristine, glistening with cold, flawless beauty.
    Just as nobody ever saw him.
    So maybe it wasn't meant...

Mia (United States of America)() published:

Little Brother

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

My body was wandering the labryinth, as my mind floated away. These past few days were terrifying. I was betrayed by someone I thought I knew, and now we were competitors in this sick game. The winner leaves the maze freely, no strings attached. The loser? Let's hope I'm not the loser. Suddenly, my mind is ripped from the clouds. I found something. My hand had wandered to a switch. I slowly pushed it up. A lamp turned on, illuminating...

1

ShannonAlynn (Canada)() published:

Guilt

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The phone rings. It's Evelyn. She knows without looking. She's been calling all day, wanting to talk. Blake doesn't want to talk. She wants to forget. She doesn't want to see the flames creeping ever higher, hear the screams every time she shuts her eyes. It's too much. The phone stops ringing. Blake's grip on the bottle is so tight it shakes. The only sounds in the room are her heavy breathing and the rattle of the pills in her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

apoll-oh-no (Australia)() published:

"Dance with me?"

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

"Dance with me?"
My heart froze solid. 
"Dance with you?"
A soft smile fell across her face. 
"Yes. It's obviously been a while?"
My nails was tearing my jeans.
"Well.. Yeah! I'd... I'd love too."
Her chin rested on my shoulder. Not knowing how to dance, we moves slowly in circles. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

fssther (Singapore)() published:

Won One; Lost it All

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

I can never stop fighting. Fighting is everything, the clash of knuckle on knuckle, jaw on shoulder, teeth on stomach. My own blood fights; the whites against those foreigners that sneak into my bloodstream with ill intentions of making me more than ill. I can never stop fighting because of my family; because of the alcohol that screams from my dad’s mouth and froths over my mother’s; I can never stop fighting because of the shiny, coppery glint of coins...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

NaTjhang (Singapore)() published:

He sings

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

He tries to sing along to his favourite song. His mother comes along. She cries. Not at the sound of his voice, but rather the lack of it. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

AJ Shelley (Australia)() published:

Everyone, Emery

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Emery was made of stardust. Emery was fond of saying that. 'I’m made of stardust,' she'd write in her diary.

'Everyone is, Emery,' you'd say. 'All the elements were created in the centre of a star.'

Her silver nose ring caught the sun and it'd blind you if you stood in the perfect spot. Her singing voice reminded you of moonlight-shine off the ocean and...

But everyone had a nose ring.

Everyone in the school could sing.

Everyone, Emery.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mads0undz (Australia)() published:

Coke Vanilla

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

"She was wearing this goddamn cutsey dress with little, red cherries on it and drank Coke...Coke Vanilla, that is. That's when I knew something was up. So I followed this girl right across town and down this goddamn alleyway behind this row of boutique style shops and, hand on my heart, the girl just disappeared. So I turn to go back and salvage what I had left of my afternoon and then I see these young, European looking guys and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

BrookeG23 (United States of America)() published:

Fledgling

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

My mother attempted to prepared us.  She said it will come unexpectedly, like clouds passing over the sun.  I had already molted, but still I could only find small insects. I remember it so clearly: the joy of winning “Early Bird,”...  the alarm soon after, like a writhing cricket in my stomach.  Then came the huge thrashing tunnel, worse than the human’s creations.  Anger knowing any celebration would be impossible partially quenched my fear… I shouldn’t have been so selfish....

Seeking Peer Reviews

lulumelon (United States of America)() published:

Funerals

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

She hadn't touched the body, to her the sentimentality of it seemed macabre and unnecessary.  She had touched him when he was alive, why again?  The corpse that had once been an elder brother was no longer shriveled and ailing like it had been in life, but instead stretched, primed, and bronzed like a wax figurine.  They hadn't been close.  One of the only times she remembered them bonding was at their father's funeral.  They had been in a position...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AlanaBarns (New Zealand)() published:

An Impasse

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Her demise had been planned meticulously. 
For so long he had been watching and waiting, patient while planning. Slowly and slyly, silently, stalking. Learning from fruitful labour, but failing to obtrude further.  
Guarded, she was. Precautious and paranoid, but rightfully so.  
For so long she had been calculated and careful but cheated of choice. Measured malice subdued with self-control. 
His demise had been planned meticulously. 
For so long, stuck in this stalemate, embroiled in the impasse. Each are the predator, but each are prey. 

1

CJjelly (United States of America)() published:

Words of a Lost Playwright

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The playwright can't function alone.

She's at her desk. Deserted projects litter the room. Looking closer, she's etching cryptic messages into the wood.

A voice murmurs into the night. 

"Aileen." It's the answering machine. "I must say..."

Her melodic whisper paints pictures of an actress— a girl once worthy of trust, bound for stardom.

"Thank you. For everything. But..."

She pauses.

"We're shaping...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LauraWrites (Canada)() published:

The Healing

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

I never understood love, hurt echoes in my heart: keep it locked away, they say, feelings and emotions are dangerous, finicky things; a mantra repeats in my head, to not get too close - "stay in your comfort zone, do what you do best", and yet, despite this, despite screaming, deafening alarm bells inside my head, I lower my head towards his, lips seeking lips, gingerly, tenderly - brokenness desperately seeking wholeness: I never knew I craved affection as deep...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nate James (Canada)() published:

Broken Home

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The letter dropped to the most prominent stack of moving crates. I blinked, not knowing if I could carry It out. As I hesitated, voices echoed around me. "Honey, we don't want to hurt you, but our decision is final," she said. "We're letting you choose" he added. "No pressure either way. Know that we both will love you, no matter what." 
Meaningless. Choosing either parent would leave me destroyed, ripped in two.

I glanced around my packed up home...