This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Collected Wisdom

Full Details

Last January, in honor of the New Year, we asked for your writing resolutions:

“I pledge to carry around a writing notebook and WRITE IN IT,” you said.

“My writing resolution for 2016 is focused on my journal rather than one of my vague, unfinished story ideas,” you said. 

“I do have some projects of my own I would like to pursue in 2016,” you said: “Writing my first book, start to finish. I'm starting this in a grand manner. Either you go big or you go home.”

Well, dear writers, we’re halfway through another year, and for those of you who made a writing resolution back in January, we wanted to offer words of support, love, and encouragement to keep at it! And we also wanted to take this opportunity to pass along some wisdom that can breathe new life into your writing goals. For all of you wordsmiths with hearty pledges or stewing notions or seeds just starting to sprout, we’re collecting writing advice. “The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair,” Mary Heaton Vorse wrote. And Ernest Hemingway had this sage advice: “As a writer, you should not judge, you should understand.”

What words of wisdom do you have for your fellow writers? What tips can you pass along that have helped you dust off old resolutions and keep the writing flame alight.

smanus and elaine.louise share these nuggets of writing wisdom. We can't wait to read yours!