All writing published for Letter Writing Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

Cassidy Jackson (United States) published:

Remember Me?

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear You,

It's been about four years since we last spoke, I'm sorry for everything that had happened between us. I understand that you've probably forgotten about me, there's not much to remember me by. You've made such a lasting impression on my life, just your presence gave me more lessons that I thought someone of that age could understand. The older I grow, the more I realize that you were a part of my journey to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Marinity (United States) published:

To Want and to Remember

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Future Self,

​Do you remember? That could refer to a lot of things but more specifically do you remember the summer of 2016? Do you remember going to France, the country of my dreams? Do you remember the busy roads and bustling streets that gave you a feeling of home and comfort. Do you remember just wandering the streets of smaller towns with friends, giggling and laughing as you walked the cobblestone pathways, interacting with the people there as you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Roisin Dauth (Australia) published:

To the unknown man I loved

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Firstly, I love you. I hope you knew that. I never got to say it because I was to young or to shy. But I do.
Secondly, I apologise for never getting to know you, properly. A picture of you has formed in my mind from various stories said with a smile and passing thoughts that were whisked out of their mouths like smoke. Some stories were to say the least unflattering at best, but the teller always ended them...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Grace Mary Potts (Australia) published:

What I Hold Back

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

There are things I want to say to you - truths I have never said to your face. Things I want you to know but have never had the confidence to say. I want to say that it wasn't okay. I know I said it was but it wasn't. What you did was callous, cruel and so completely and utterly selfish. That's what I don't get, you see. I thought you were better than that. More mature. Now I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Haleistorm (United States) published:

As Long as You'll Have Me

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

November 2015

Dear Maria,

Almost three years ago, I found out that I was leaving you. When I told you, you fell apart on the outside while I fell apart on the inside.
    You gave me a journal covered in stickers. Inside were instructions to tear out pages, write letters, and send them home to you.
    You said it was our last Christmas together, but I didn't think you were right.
    Now I'm not sure. You said...

Seeking Peer Reviews

purplpeanut (United States) published:

Dear John

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear John,

How's it going? God, it feels forever since I've had a decent conversation with you. We weren't best friends in high school at all, but we got on just the same. And when we left high school, well I went to college straight away and you...you went into the army. And I'm so proud of you, we all are. You've found your little niche and you couldn't be happier. But...well...you've been posting things on facebook. A lot of...

rosiewoodgate_ (United Kingdom) published:

For Elin, A Girl I Never Knew

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Elin,

I don't know you and I will never know you. I've only ever seen you in photographs and videos. I wish I could give you a hug and listen to your laugh. But I can't. You're gone. You're not coming back. Not for me, not for Nia. Oh my dear, dear Nia. How heartbreaking it is to cradle a small child in your arms as she sobs and sobs. I feel helpless. I feel empty. When I was...

purplpeanut (United States) published:

Dear John

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear John,

1

Madz Mac (Australia) published:

Dear Santa

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Santa,
This year for Christmas I would like world peace… just kidding. Screw all of them. I want a new PC and lots of games to go with it as well. I also want a new bike, since I accidently left that one I got last year in the rain. A lolly or too wouldn’t go amiss as well since the Easter Bunny did such a terrible run this year. Actually that reminds me, I’ve got to write a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

apoll-oh-no (Australia) published:

Dear Zoe.

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Zoe,
Dang, it's been a while! How's life going for you? Is it everything you thought it would be? I'm still stuck here, in the same old job. Al is working me really hard. I think it's punishment for the whole rebellion thing.
Do you have any friends there? Do you remember anything? I hope you haven't forgotten me. It'd be pretty rough on me. And you still owe me $20 from that bet.
Is Avery doing okay? Working with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

apoll-oh-no (Australia) published:

Dear Zoe.

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Zoe,
Is Avery doing okay? Working with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

not.just.another.girl (United States) published:

Forgetful

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Mom, 
    We didn't leave things how we should have. I don't remember why I left or why you didn't tell me I couldn't leave. Maybe you did I can't remember. It's happening again Mom. I'm blocking out the memories. I want to stop, I'm trying to stop but I can't. You helped me last time, I'm not going to be able to do it again without you.
    I'm blocking off memories that don't even relate to what I wish...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Annabelle (Australia) published:

Mother?

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Mother who is always absent,

Aren't you curious? Aren't you concerned? I'm growing into a young woman and you can't even be bothered to see. Whenever I come home from the hospital, you always say 'Welcome home!" like where I live is a foreign place. As if I'm a guest. I live here. True, I'm not here often and I can't contribute to helping out as much as I'd like to. But I'm part of this family. I'd wish...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Anna Chen (Canada) published:

Fan Mail

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear first author who ever killed a character,

I despise you with a passion. Do you know what kind of Power you have placed In The hands of story writers? Now they think that they can murder all they please! Why? Because you showed them they can!...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Toralilaraven (United States) published:

Letter

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

J.M.N,
I let you go. I let you fly far away. I gave you money, I gave you words of encouragement, I helped you pack. I let you go knowing you would never come back.
You’ve changed and I knew you would. When you left I said it was for the better. You needed to leave to grow stronger. You needed to leave to learn how to open up. You need to leave to learn how to heal. You needed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

annabelgray (Singapore) published:

The Glass Menagerie: A letter to Tom from Amanda

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Tom,

It's been awhile. I know i'm the last person that you'd want to hear from, because i'm probably why you left, but I just want to know how you're doing. I hope your adventuring is working out and i'd love to hear about them! I mean that's what you were last talking about when Jim was around. Now that you're gone, we have had to find other means of getting income, I mean i'm not blaming you but......

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Phoebe L (United States) published:

$30 copay

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

To: Emetophobia

I am thinking of you again, as always. You, the ever-present, unpleasant roommate -- at best. How have you been? It must've been at least three minutes since I last saw you. You know how I've been.

When I lie awake at night, staring at the swirly patches of ceiling, I think of you. I wish I had time to think about my future, but, you are always the priority. Why even consider college? You won't be happy,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ShannonAlynn (Canada) published:

Hopeless Case

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

My dearest, Jessie - 

It's been years since we last spoke more than a passing hello in a hallway, and still more years since then. Truthfully, the only reason I'm even writing this letter is because you aren't planning on coming back. It's taken me a while to get used to that. I miss you still. I hope you've found what you were looking for so far away.

You're probably wondering how I even got your...

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

Before

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear child,
In just a few short hours, you will be granted something incredible. God knows, people have fought hard enough for it. I have seen people loving it, hating it. Ending it. Dreaming of its endless possibilities, seemingly unlimited and priceless. I have heard gentle men screaming with savagery as it is threatened; I have watched people die defending it. In spite of it.

Child, in a few short hours you will be given a life. And if at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

elaine.louise (Canada) published:

Illiterate

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Frederick, 

After all these years, I still think of you in my darkest moments. After all we’ve gone through together, I still find myself wanting you more than I want myself. After all these nights I’ve spent cursing the very air you breathe, I still can’t help wishing my loneliness could be eased by your presence. 

You always drove me insane with your quiet ways and blank expressions. I could never read you, even though I could read everyone...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

zhshji (Singapore) published:

Turning back the clock

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Grandpa,

I missed you. 

Sometimes when the night is silent I could still hear the echoes of your voice reverberating through my head. The lullaby you used to hum to me when I couldn't sleep repeats itself in my head like a never-ending carousel. 

It's been two long years. When we first lost you, I have been afraid that I will forget your face, your voice, and your gentle smile. I had desperately searched for the fragments of our...

Demory (United States) published:

An Honest Thank You

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Ezra,
    Thank you for the necklace you sent. I must admit, I was surprised when I opened the door to see a small package with your name. I didn't think remembering each other's birthdays was something we still did. 
    I mean, of course we remember. There's no way not to. At Christmas time I'll always think of how your birthday is the day after, and all of your presents are combined. If that was the only time I thought of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

RC77 (United States) published:

To My Mother, with Alzheimer's

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

My dear Lorana,

You might be wondering how I know your name. Rest assured, I am not the man that drops off envelopes at your mailbox every morning, nor am I your beloved Charlie. I don't mean harm. Do you see the green-eyed, beaming child in that wooden photo frame, the one propped up on the living room coffee table? That's me. My name is Samantha. Through the photo albums on the bottom left drawer of your bedroom's writing desk...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

StarRose101 (United States) published:

To Fear: My Most Dangerous Enemy

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

My hated enemy,

I never thought I would be able to muster the strength to write these words, for the threat of your vengeance not only weighs heavy on my heart but leaves my body shaking, down to the very tips of my scarred fingers.

To the trivial trepidation I feel when I try to speak in front of others, to the utter anguish I get when faced with peer judgement, to the anxiety I suffer when I'm reminded of...

8

Suzan Kim (United States) published:

Hibiscus Locks

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Dear Cassidy,

Happy Birthday! Unless you turn out to be one of those once-in-a-blue-moon prodigies that can read before you’ve learned to walk, this letter will mean nothing to you. Perhaps you’ll rediscover these pages when you’re older and they will still mean nothing to you. Or maybe they will. Regardless, let’s make a metaphorical toast to this first of many letters to come.

Earlier today I was in a hair salon, where the walls were covered in...