This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Crashed plane

Five Line Fiction

Full Details

The Prompt
Can you write a story in just five sentences?

Five line fiction “is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist,” says author Lillie McFerrin. Look at the examples below, and then try writing your own short story, titled DECEMBER, and composed of just five lines.

Examples

DECEMBER

When I first arrived in Boston, there was a thundersnow. That’s what the newsreaders called it. We sat at the window all afternoon and watched the snow swirl over Beacon Street. I rang Mum excitedly, to tell her I arrived, and about the snow. Through the phone, I heard the crows and a day that was still and hot and blue.

DECEMBER

December 31st was so cold that my brother claimed he heard trees exploding. He’d been up in the woods, hollering for our dog, and when he returned to the house his eyebrows and eyelashes were frosted white. Rudy settled on the dog bed, licking at his paws, the ice lodged in the pads. We’d heard this myth: frozen sap expanding, bursting trunks from the inside out. I don’t believe you, I said. Like gun shot, he said… and hunting season’s over.

Guiding Questions
Take a look at the following suggestions when responding to this prompt. Stay tuned to see our featured entry (and peer review!) that thoughtfully considers these guidelines:
1. What do you want the reader to feel or think or ask by the time he/she has reached the last word? How can you create this feeling/thought/question in just five lines?
2. Although you can only say so much in such a short space, what can you suggest about the character, the situation, the past and the future?