All writing published for Playwriting Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

girving12 (United States) published:

Not A Day Goes By

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1
(It's 4 pm, mid-June, during rehearsal for the high school's summer musical. Nolan, a 14 year old, is in the cafeteria, where rehearsals take place. There's some lunch tables and a stereo. He's fairly tall and skinny, with black hair that has too much gel. He is off to the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

girving12 (United States) published:

Not A Day Goes By

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Hannah Meyeres (United States) published:

Forgotten

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene One

MALLORY sits at a dressing table with mascara to her right, and lip stick to her left. A mirror is resting on the wall above the table. A knock is heard.

MALLORY: [picks up the mascara] Come in.

VANNESSA enters. She is middle aged with dark black hair, and wearing a white pantsuit.

VANNESSA: Mallory, Derick is waiting downstairs for you.

MALLORY: [applies mascara] OK.  Thanks Mom. Tell him I'll be down in a minute.

VANNESSA: Alright honey. ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

BluMoon (United States) published:

Who Needs Time?

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
(Downtown New York City, modern day, sometime in the summer: Anthony is admiring the skyline center stage. Eliza is walking with her nose in a planner/notebook, and bumps into Anthony.)

ELIZA: Oh! I’m so sorry I wasn’t… Anthony?
ANTHONY: Eliza? Oh my god, it’s been… how long?
ELIZA: Years! Oh, Anthony, it's so good to see you. What are the odds, huh?
ANTHONY: A million to one. Come on, Liz, take a stroll and tell me how...
Seeking Peer Reviews

polaroses (Singapore) published:

successor

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

A wooden treehouse, painstakingly built in its picture-perfect appearance, every plank meticulously hammered on and perfectly in place. On the right side, a set of tall steps. The structure sits above a swathe of light to dark green ombre cloth meant to represent grass.

An hunched woman with grey-and-streaks-of-white hair done up in a large bun walks onto stage and looks silently at the treehouse. She wears a 'cheongsam', the traditional dress of the Chinese. A wrinkled hand clutching onto...
Seeking Peer Reviews

polaroses (Singapore) published:

successor

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

AJNair (Singapore) published:

Falling Off

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1:

On a small platform stands VINCE, dressed in a shabby cloak and worn pants. There is a ladder lying across the platform and the stage. People dressed in business suits are walking across the stage in front of him, ignoring him.

VINCE: I’ll do it! I swear I’ll do it!

A man wearing a business suit looks up at him, and continues walking, faster

VINCE: (screws his eyes shut)This is it. Goodnight cruel...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

Pibbface (Ireland) published:

The Box

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

The stage is bare, aside from a table in the centre with chairs (appropriate to the amount of characters), and an acoustic guitar resting on a stand in the corner. The scene will begin with THE BOX on the table, within reaching distance of MATTHEW yet still the focus of the scene—the audiences’ eyes should immediately be drawn towards it.

HELOISE: So…are you going to enlighten us?

MATTHEW: About what exactly?

HELOISE: Well, you told us all to gather here...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Sinéad (Ireland) published:

The smallest idea of freedom

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

The scene opens with a spotlight to the left of the stage where a young woman is standing. She is well dressed for the times. The left half of the stage is set as a bedroom with a bed, wardrobe and dresser.

​HELEN
I like to think back to when I was a child with my brother Joseph, to the moments when we would play soldiers and pretended branches were guns. We did this often but never for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sinéad (Ireland) published:

The smallest idea of freedom

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

​HELEN

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Maisie Ellise (United States) published:

And Wonder Why

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(A simple set, with a dock and small moored boat. In it, two children fish.)

LEWIS: Lola, I got one!
LOLA: Not fair! You already got three, and they aren't even nibbling for me!
LEWIS: I told you to use a worm.
LOLA: But worms are slimy.
LEWIS: (He reels the fish in.) Look, Lola, look!
LOLA: Ooh, yuck!
LEWIS: He's not yucky! It's just a little guy. Touch him, Lola!
LOLA: Ew, no! He's so slimy!
LEWIS:...

Seeking Peer Reviews