All writing published for Playwriting Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

3

Mgracel (United States) published:

Love and Titles

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1

(The year is 1605 in the Kingdom of Aria. The scene opens in a quiet corner of the castle gardens under an ancient oak tree. A young woman with long, tangled brown hair and a clean cut man in high finery rest in its shade, talking.)

MAY (laughing) You really said that to Miss Jasper?! I wish I could've seen her face!

WILLIAM (laughing as well) Her eyes nearly rolled out of her head!

(A bell rings in...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

elaine.louise (Canada) published:

Half-Sober

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

It’s late in the evening. CATHERINE, a middle-aged woman, walks into her living room with her eighteen year old daughter, MICHELLE.

CATHERINE: What am I going to do with you, Michelle? 

MICHELLE: It was just a few drinks.

CATHERINE: A few! Michelle, you were in the hospital! You could’ve died! Thank Goodness Jackson keeping an eye on you.

MICHELLE: Geez, Mom. It wasn’t even that bad. I’m eighteen now, I can make my own decisions.

CATHERINE: That’s it! You’re grounded.
...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

a.ham24601 (United States) published:

New Year's Night

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

NEW YEAR’S NIGHT
Act I, Scene I
(There is a ding as an elevator rises and opens. VANESSA, an extremely pretty, dreamy girl in her early 20s, runs into it and rapidly presses the buttons. She wears a coquettish white dress with a wine stain splattered all over it. CARTER, also early 20s, a server, hurries after her and slips into the elevator.)
CARTER: I wanted to apologize to you for what happened.
VANESSA: What?
CARTER: What happened. With the wine and your dress. It...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

a.ham24601 (United States) published:

New Year's Night

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

NEW YEAR’S NIGHT
Act I, Scene I
VANESSA: What?

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Foltz.christina (United States) published:

Makeup Coverup

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SETTING: Backstage of a theater next to murder scene, LINDSAY sits at a makeup station with her makeup artist OCTAVIO, AGENT BARTON stands next to her, JAIME walks around crime scene taking notes.
(LINDSAY, a dim, naive famous actress, cries. AGENT BARTON, a detective, interviews her)

AGENT BARTON The evidence tells us she was wearing faux fur and a big chunk of it was missing, but you tell me.

LINDSAY I don’t know. I never got a decent look at...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Cassidy Nall (United States) published:

The Trance of Kezum

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

CLAIR: Henry it’s time to go home it looks like a storm is coming.
HENRY: But Clair…
CLAIR: No buts Henry and mum warned us not to go outside during storms.
HENRY: Has she ever said why?
CLAIR: …
HENRY: Didn’t think so.
CLAIR: Ok go play but I’m calling mom to tell her that we won’t be home for a while.
CLAIR WALKS OVER AND CALLS MOTHER
MYSTIRIOUS SINGING IS HEARD BY  HENRY
HENRY: Clair what is that singing? ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Cassidy Nall (United States) published:

The Trance of Kezum

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

HENRY: But Clair…
HENRY: Has she ever said why?
CLAIR: …
HENRY: Didn’t think so.
CLAIR WALKS OVER AND CALLS MOTHER
MYSTIRIOUS SINGING IS HEARD BY  HENRY
HENRY: Clair what is that singing? ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Cassidy Nall (United States) published:

The Trance of Kezum

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

HENRY: But Clair…
HENRY: Has she ever said why?
CLAIR: …
HENRY: Didn’t think so.
CLAIR WALKS OVER AND CALLS MOTHER
MYSTIRIOUS SINGING IS HEARD BY  HENRY
HENRY: Clair what is that singing? ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

wonfeels (Singapore) published:

Finding Peace

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
It's 8pm at the park. The playground is empty. CATHY walks towards the swing and sits on it. She puts her bag down on the ground.

CATHY: (sighs) I can't believe I agreed to meet him here. How will I face him?

(A boy in a blue jacket and black cap walks towards the playground as well and sits on the swing beside Cathy.)

JAKE: Nice to see you again, Cathy. Can we switch to the seesaw? I'd...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Vanessa Bloom (United States) published:

Aftermath

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Setting: a storage room, with one door. The room contains large boxes, labeled "Inception Team", and "Handle with Care: Flammable". FRANKLIN FIELDMEYER, a fit man in his late 30s, wearing a skin-tight suit with a yellow cape emblazoned with lightning bolts, is sitting on one of the boxes. He’s holding an envelope and letter.
FRANKLIN (reading):  "Dear Mr. Fieldmeyer (alias: Lighting Man): The Federal Superhero Accountability Panel has reviewed your actions during your most recent mission against the...

2

Aftermath

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

2

smanus (United States) published:

When Homes Aren't Safe in the United States

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
SETTING: August 9th, 2007. A living room. Downstage right lay a table and three chairs, upstage left lay a TV. At rise, KASKA, a 30-someting mother, watches TV and drinks a beer. She hears something intriguing, and leans in. HENRYK, her husband, a 30-something, enters. 
KASKA: Henryk?
(The door slams.)
Henryk - my God! What they say about the market -- is it true, kochanie?
HENRYK: Turn it off, please.
(She turns the TV off.)
KASKA:The housing market crashed, didn't it? Henryk,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

gripsyched (Singapore) published:

FOOD COMA

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

FOOD COMA
Scene: It’s a kitchen – in the background an oven, electric stove and kettle stand on the cupboard. To the right of the cupboard stands a blank fridge. There’s a half-cut onion and a bag of carrots beside the sink. Someone’s been cooking. YUE enters from stage right, chased by a desperate MOTHER.
MOTHER              Fish! Fish, fish – at least eat fish.
YUE doesn’t speak. She stares at the onions.
MOTHER              I bought salmon from the market....
Seeking Peer Reviews

gripsyched (Singapore) published:

FOOD COMA

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

FOOD COMA
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

mynameisnatalie (United Kingdom) published:

Secrets and Lies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Daytime inside the coffee shop LUCY (16) and SAM (17) are sitting opposite each other. SAM is acting strange. SAM is stirring his coffee. LUCY is looking at SAM with a worried/confused look on her face.

LUCY: Do you have to go?
SAM: I know you don’t want me to go and neither do I but I have no choice, besides you still have your Aunt Alex
LUCY: She’s never home and ever since the accident your Mum has practically...

1

Secrets and Lies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

LUCY: Do you have to go?
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Secrets and Lies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

LUCY: Do you have to go?
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Voltaire (Singapore) published:

Two Armed Men in the House of God

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

3 September 1944, Sunday. 3 p.m. At an abandoned church in the French countryside. Enter Pvt. Samuel and Cpl. William, two US soldiers, veterans from D-Day, seeking shelter from the rain outside.

SAMUEL (speaking anxiously to William): Will! Are you sure we can just enter...

WILLIAM (nonchalantly): Everyone left a long time ago Sam. There's no one around to give a damn what we do here. Until this rain lets up and we can find our unit again, we might...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

adelineloh (Singapore) published:

Vessel's Voice

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

ACT 1:

(Lights go on to reveal a metal cage on centre stage. It is filled with sand. A creature crawls into the scene from upstage left while wailing in pain. Their lower body resembles that of a female primate, while their upper body appears to be a male’s torso. The creature is evidently injured with lashes all over their body. As they enter the cage, the wailing subsides into a pitiful whimper.)

NAMELESS: (evidently struggling to speak) T-t-to-day was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Jolenify (Singapore) published:

A Little Princess

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Set:
The stage is split into half. An empty corridor runs in the middle.

Stage right would be the bedroom set. The backdrop is a pink wall decorated with ribbons, dolls and girly stickers. The floor is littered with alphabet blocks, baby rattles and sippy cups. Further stage right is a table and a chair, both facing the audience. A bucket is placed behind the table. In between the corridor and the bedroom set is a white door.  

Stage...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ripleywrites (United States) published:

Beauty

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(The curtain opens on an empty world. The set is bare and dark, the only light on a figure at center stage. This hunched shape is MAN OF NEW, in a fetal position, as if in hibernation, wearing a white bodysuit that covers its entire body, obscuring all its features. It is unmoving.)

(Then, suddenly, a shudder courses through. It trembles violently as something enters its body. It squirms in resistance as it tries to release it, but its...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kait Fedor (United States) published:

Dead End Life

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(The scene opens with the stage dimly lit as ELIZABETH rushes around the stage stuffing things into a suitcase on a bed stage right. Elizabeth is a tall, thin woman with caring eyes and a heart of gold. Even with the heart of gold, recent events have left her bitter. She is the epitome of mid life crisis before she even hits 30. After a series of misfortune left her with nowhere to go, she is packing to visit her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kait Fedor (United States) published:

Dead End Life

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

casual.ties (New Zealand) published:

Ménage

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Gwen and Clint are running around the paved outskirts of a park at night, the streets are deserted.

GWEN   Only you...

CLINT   What?

GWEN   Only you would make someone run at this hour of the night.

CLINT   It's cooler, and anyway, if some dodgy homeless guy comes up to us we can work on our combat skills as well as our fitness.

GWEN   As if, you'd probably just ask him for fashion advice.

CLINT  ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

girving12 (United States) published:

Not A Day Goes By

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1
(It's 4 pm, mid-June, during rehearsal for the high school's summer musical. Nolan, a 14 year old, is in the cafeteria, where rehearsals take place. There's some lunch tables and a stereo. He's fairly tall and skinny, with black hair that has too much gel. He is off to the...

Seeking Peer Reviews