All writing published for Playwriting Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

Niamh Writes (United Kingdom) published:

The Psychiatrist

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

THE PSYCHIATRIST

The curtain rises, revealing an almost empty stage. A single spotlight hits a shrink’s sofa that’s covered in plush red leather, giving the impression that our characters are in a psychiatrist’s office.
Upon the sofa is a well-dressed WOMAN, her hair fastened into a tight chignon. She appears calm and collected and sits almost a little too still. Next to the sofa is a plain wooden chair, its back towards the audience. On the chair sits...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Clare Ryan (Australia) published:

What Goes Up

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

​A wooden park bench is centre stage, lit by bright, white overhead lights. The floor of the stage is black, with a handball grid painted on stage left, and the texture looks like bitumen. A backdrop designed to look like a brick wall sits behind the bench, with graffiti tags, barely noticeable. The sound of school children yelling, laughing and talking can be heard. This is a typical, Australian lunch break.

TEACHER (offstage): Boys, get away from the maintenance shed.
BOYS (offstage): ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

gripsyched (Singapore) published:

FOOD COMA

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene: It’s a kitchen – in the background an oven, electric stove and kettle stand on the cupboard. To the right of the cupboard stands a blank fridge. There’s a half-cut onion and a bag of carrots beside the sink. Someone’s been cooking. YUE enters from stage right, chased by a desperate MOTHER.

MOTHER              Fish! Fish, fish – at least eat fish.

YUE doesn’t speak. She stares at the onions.

MOTHER              I bought salmon from the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

gripsyched (Singapore) published:

FOOD COMA

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

smanus (United States) published:

When Homes Aren't Safe in the United States

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
SETTING: A living room - the DOW just crashed, beginning the Great Recession of '08. Downstage right lay a table and three chairs, upstage left lay a TV. At rise, KASKA, a 30-someting mother, watches TV and drinks a beer. She hears something intriguing, and leans in. HENRYK, her husband, a 30-something, enters.) 
KASKA: Henryk?
(The door slams.)
Henryk - my God! What they say about the market -- is it true, kochanie?
HENRYK: Turn it off, please.
(She turns the TV off.)
KASKA:The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

smanus (United States) published:

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
KASKA: Henryk?
(The door slams.)
HENRYK: Turn it off, please.
(She turns the TV off.)
KASKA:The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Robert Snider (United States) published:

The Yell of the Silent Beast

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(It is modern times, and a twenty-something woman with brown, mousy hair and green eyes, BRIDGET, stares down at her car, gleaming in the moonlit Alaskan wilderness. The gas tank is empty, and there are no close gas stations. She looks around, then reluctantly approaches a modest cabin.)

(She rings the doorbell, careful of splinters. Suddenly, the squeaky, hole-ridden screen door flies open, and BRIDGET's is greeted by a fifty-ish woman, JANET, with exceptionally long brown hair and blue eyes,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Foltz.christina (United States) published:

Makeup Coverup

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SETTING: Backstage of a theater next to murder scene. LINDSAY, a dim, naive actress, sits at a makeup station with her makeup artist OCTAVIO. BARTON, a detective, stands next to her. JAIME, an aspiring mystery author who hangs around crime scenes for research, walks around crime scene taking notes.

BARTON The evidence tells us the victim, Brittany, was wearing faux fur and a big chunk of it was missing, but you tell me.

LINDSAY (crying) I don’t know. I never got...

Vanessa Bloom (United States) published:

Aftermath

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Setting: a storage room, with one door. The room contains large boxes, labeled "Inception Team", and "Handle with Care: Flammable". FRANKLIN FIELDMEYER, a fit man in his late 30s, wearing a skin-tight suit with a yellow cape emblazoned with lightning bolts, is sitting on one of the boxes. He’s holding an envelope and letter. 
FRANKLIN (reading):  "Dear Mr. Fieldmeyer (alias: Lighting Man): The Federal Superhero Accountability Panel has reviewed your actions during your most recent mission against the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Mgracel (United States) published:

Love and Titles

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1

(The year is 1605 in the Kingdom of Aria. The scene opens in a quiet corner of the castle gardens under an ancient oak tree. A young woman with long, tangled brown hair and a clean cut man in high finery rest in its shade, talking.)

MAY (laughing) You really said that to Miss Jasper?! I wish I could've seen her face!

WILLIAM (laughing as well) Her eyes nearly rolled out of her head!

(A bell rings in...
Seeking Peer Reviews

ripleywrites (United States) published:

Beauty

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(The curtain opens on an empty world. The set is bare and dark, the only light on a figure at center stage. This hunched shape is MAN OF NEW, in a fetal position, as if in hibernation, wearing a white bodysuit that covers its entire body, obscuring all its features. It is unmoving.)

(Then, suddenly, a shudder courses through. It trembles violently as something enters its body. It squirms in resistance as it tries to release it, but its...

1

Christina Seery (Ireland) published:

Marriage

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(It is raining outside. Heavily. On stage is an old-fashioned, Victorian living room. The room is dimly lit, seemingly by just the one hanging, exposed light bulb. A grandfather clock is upstage and to the side. It tells us it’s half past eleven. A sofa is in the middle of the stage. There is a window, showing the falling rain.)
ELLEN– in her thirties, sits on the sofa, her head angled so she can look out the window at...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Christina Seery (Ireland) published:

Marriage

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Christina Seery (Ireland) published:

Marriage

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Soumya (India) published:

Let Them In

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Long ago, there was a very powerful kingdom known as Jamer ruled by King Jagananda. They ruled in the Indian Subcontinent over a huge area and had good relations with other kingdoms too. King Jagananda was a very brave, discerning and wise king. He usually visited the neighboring kingdom, named Nawadh, ruled by one of his good friend, King Suryamal. But Nawadh was not much powerful and lack in military power. But there was one thing which attracted all the...

AJNair (Singapore) published:

Falling Off

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1:

(On a small platform stands VINCE, dressed in a shabby cloak and worn pants. There is a ladder in front of the platform. People dressed in business suits are walking across the stage in front of him, ignoring him.)

VINCE: I’ll do it! I swear I’ll do it! (Screws his eyes shut) This is it. Goodnight, cruel world. (Lifts a leg to step off platform)

(THEO, wearing a suit and coat, carrying a briefcase, enters stage,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

mynameisnatalie (United Kingdom) published:

Secrets and Lies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Daytime inside the coffee shop LUCY (16) and SAM (17) sit opposite each other. SAM fidgets nervously. He stirs his coffee. LUCY looks SAM with a worried/confused look on her face.

LUCY: Do you have to go?
SAM: I don't have a choice, the house is sold.  You still have your Aunt Alex, and don't worry we'll be mates wherever I end up. (He fiddles with a silver ring on his right hand that reads SAM)
(LUCY takes a sip...

Secrets and Lies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

LUCY: Do you have to go?
(LUCY takes a sip...

2

polaroses (Singapore) published:

successor

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

A wooden treehouse, painstakingly built in its picture-perfect appearance, every plank meticulously hammered on and perfectly in place. On the right side, a set of tall steps. The structure sits above a swathe of light to dark green ombre cloth meant to represent grass.

An hunched woman with grey-and-streaks-of-white hair done up in a large bun walks onto stage and looks silently at the treehouse. She wears a 'cheongsam', the traditional dress of the Chinese. A wrinkled hand clutching onto...

Mia the Lunatic (Canada) published:

Things Will Work

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
SETTING: McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts. Hectic time in the morning, Doctor Manny Park and Doctor Sylvia Park, siblings and co-workers,are planning out a group therapy session for their patients.
(We can hear rushed footsteps from offstage.)
SYLVIA (offstage, talking almost without pausing): So you told me you have this patient who has ADHD* because of Tourette Syndrome*, and got beaten by his family multiple times?
MANNY (offstage): You mean Dan?
SYLVIA (offstage): Well I have a patient-...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Mia the Lunatic (Canada) published:

Things Will Work

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
MANNY (offstage): You mean Dan?

Seeking Peer Reviews

AJNair (Singapore) published:

Falling Off

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1:

Seeking Peer Reviews

Voltaire (Singapore) published:

Two Armed Men in the House of God

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

3 September 1944, Sunday. 3 p.m. At an abandoned church in the French countryside. Enter Pvt. Samuel and Cpl. William, two US soldiers, seeking shelter from the rain outside.

SAMUEL (anxiously): Will! Are you sure we can just enter...

WILLIAM (nonchalantly): Everyone left a long time ago Sam. There's no one around to give a damn what we do here. Until this rain lets up and we find our unit again, we might as well enjoy a Sunday break with...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Voltaire (Singapore) published:

Two Armed Men in the House of God

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Makeup Coverup

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SETTING: Backstage of a theater next to murder scene, LINDSAY sits at a makeup station with her makeup artist OCTAVIO, AGENT BARTON stands next to her, JAIME walks around crime scene taking notes.
(LINDSAY, a dim, naive actress, cries. AGENT BARTON, a detective, interviews her)

AGENT BARTON The evidence tells us the victim, Brittany, was wearing faux fur and a big chunk of it was missing, but you tell me.

LINDSAY I don’t know. I never got a decent look...