All writing published for Playwriting Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

Tiffanyyip (Hong Kong)() published:

Behind the mirror

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene 1
Time: --
Setting: At a carnival, Psychic’s tent, Cherry’s home
Characters: Cherry, Sales, Psychic

(lights on)
(Cherry walks along the carnival streets in a pompous way. She stops in front of a glass window that reflected her image and fixes her hair. Cherry grins at her reflection and nods. She turns around swiftly and continues to walk.)
Sales: (yells to Cherry) Miss!
(Cherry turns her head and looks sharply at Sales)
Sales: Would you like to join...

Seeking Peer Reviews

emkat0910 (Australia)() published:

Hello

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

An elderly man and a middle aged woman are sitting at a table together, located in a small corner cafe. The woman is slowly sipping her tea as the man reads his newspaper. The woman looks at the man, sensing her presence the man looks up at the woman. 

Jack:      (putting newspaper down) Where did you come from? 

Paula:    What ever do you mean Jack, I've been sitting here this whole time.

Jack:      No, you haven't. I swear...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Applecharm11 Starhorse (Singapore)() published:

Burning Brownies

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(The scene takes place in a living room, right next to the kitchen.)

Girl: (Sits in the living room, nervously patting soot from her shirt.)
Dad: (Enters room, putting down work bag, when he speaks, it is tired and dull) I'm home.
Girl: Oh, hi dad! (Replies quickly, fingers tapping her knee)
Dad: (Sits down on chair beside her, laptop on his lap, working.)

(A silence passes)

Dad: (gets up) I'm thirsty, I'm going to get a glass of water. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

punk_princess_23 (United States of America)() published:

My Secret Love-Act One

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(Sitting upstage right is a small bed covered in quilts Beside it is a small bedside table. Opposite on upstage left is a bookcase full of books. At center stage there is a door leading to the rest of the house. Stage left is dark. ASH HOLSON sits on the bed, writing in her journal. A NARRATOR comes to downcenter.)
NARRATOR
It has been twenty years since Cortha invaded Handana, and the King’s power has only grown. Citizens of Handana...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Mahika Shenoy (Singapore)() published:

The Path that leads to Nowhere

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Kennedy Williams also known, as Ken is a young adult living in Whitby, a small town in England with his parents and sister named Kelly. He belongs from the lower caste of the society. In his town, he teams up with two of his friends named Oliver and Jack. The three of them study in the town’s public university.

In their class, is a girl of the higher status named Elizabeth (petname Ella) who...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Mahika Shenoy (Singapore)() published:

The Path that leads to Nowhere

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Grace Ow (Singapore)() published:

Bribing Death

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

[Lights on, with two people standing on stage: a middle-aged woman ELIZABETH and an older man BERTRAM on an unnamed pavement near a market. ELIZABETH, surprised, sees him first.]

ELIZABETH Heavens, Bertram, is that you?

BERTRAM Good morning, madam. It's been ages since I last saw you. How have you been doing?

ELIZABETH Not fantastic, but... I guess as best as I could be... How about you? How's the family?

BERTRAM Very good. My daughter's graduating from university.

ELIZABETH [Nostalgically]...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

smanus (United States of America)() published:

When Homes Aren't Safe in the United States

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

SCENE 1
SETTING: A living room - the DOW just crashed, beginning the Great Recession of '08. Downstage right lay a table and three chairs, upstage left lay a TV. At rise, KASKA, a 30-someting mother, watches TV and drinks a beer. She hears something intriguing, and leans in. HENRYK, her husband, a 30-something, enters.) 
KASKA: Henryk?
(The door slams.)
Henryk - my God! What they say about the market -- is it true, kochanie?
HENRYK: Turn it off, please.
(She turns the TV off.)
KASKA:The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

elaine.louise (Canada)() published:

Half-Sober

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

It’s 1:30 am. Eighteen year old Michelle and her boyfriend Jackson are sitting on the curb outside a cheap bar. The street is quiet except for the muffled music and chatter coming inside the bar. 

MICHELLE: I feel like crap.

JACKSON: I told you to stop drinking.

MICHELLE: You should’ve physically restrained me.

JACKSON: Easier said than done.

(Michelle and Jackson sit quietly for a few moments)

MICHELLE: You’re going to tell my mom, aren’t you?

JACKSON: Yeah....
Seeking Peer Reviews

annieblev (United States of America)() published:

Heaven, Hell, Or Just The Grave?

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Heaven, Hell, Or Just The Grave?

A play in one act

By Annie Bleveans

© 2016 by Annie Bleveans
aobwriting@gmail.com
CHARACTERS

BreeRocker girl with a soft side.
Secretary 50 year old dead lady trying to be hip. She also needs a new hip. 
Raina
VickyJust doing her best in this world
Totally not pretending to be religious for the sake of power and privilage

SETTING

...

1

a.ham24601 (United States of America)() published:

New Year's Night

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

NEW YEAR’S NIGHT
Act I, Scene I
(There is a ding as an elevator rises and opens. VANESSA, an extremely pretty, dreamy girl in her early 20s, runs into it and rapidly presses the buttons, a half-empty glass of champagne sloshing around in her hand. She wears a coquettish white dress with a wine stain splattered all over it. CARTER, also early 20s, a server, hurries after and slips into the elevator, carrying a half-empty tray of crab rangoon.)
CARTER: I wanted...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jenneth LeeD (United States of America)() published:

The Epic Quest of Tony Ryder in Prelude to the Terrible Tragedy Concerning the Fair Maiden with Giant Feet Partially Written in Latin

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene I
(Scene opens with characters at a desk in a library. Sara spreads paper before her. Amy tilts her chair on two legs and engrosses herself in texting. Tony sits backwards in the chair with a blank sheet of paper.)
SARA:    Staring at the paper isn’t going to make words appear, Tony.
TONY:     I don’t know what to write.
SARA:     We’ve had three weeks to come up with something!
TONY:    I still don’t know what to write. ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Robraezutarian (United States of America)() published:

White Rabbit

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Characters:
LUKE, 17, works at the Green Garden grocery store after school, introverted
ANDREA, 16, outgoing, “friend” of LUKE
BADGERLY, ?, ?

Setting: Present day, at the Green Garden grocery store, and then later at an unknown location

Scene 1

(Spotlight comes up on LUKE, standing alone center.) 

LUKE: My mother always said that good things come to those who wait. But she never mentioned anything about them staying. 

(Lights come up. There are a few shelves and displays with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

casamiento (United States of America)() published:

Midnight- Draft

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Act I, Scene I

Setting: Lucy’s bedroom, midnight, on balcony

At rise: Lucy is on the balcony (stage right) looking at the city in front of her/out at the audience; James, her older brother, walks in from stage left

LUCY: [at ease, expressionless

JAMES: Rose said you’d be here. 

LUCY: [laughs bitterly] Rose knows a lot about me.

JAMES: Mom knew a lot about you too. 

LUCY: [smiles forms] She did, didn’t...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

J. D. Haymaker (United States of America)() published:

Hastuss and Aran

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

[the place: a small apartment dining room. the time: early in the morning. A young man, Hastuss, sits at a small table eating breakfast. Another young man, Aran, enters and walks groggily to the table with a bowl of cereal.

Hastuss: Good morning, Aran.
Aran: No.
H: Sorry?
A: You ought to be after lying like that, but I suppose I forgive you.
H: I don't understand.
A: I don't imagine you would. You're a slave to a lie, Hastuss,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Pibbface (Ireland)() published:

The Box

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

The stage is bare, aside from a table in the centre with chairs (appropriate to the amount of characters), and an acoustic guitar resting on a stand in the corner. The scene will begin with THE BOX on the table, within reaching distance of MATTHEW yet still the focus of the scene—the audiences’ eyes should immediately be drawn towards it.

HELOISE: So…are you going to enlighten us?

MATTHEW: About what exactly?

HELOISE: Well, you told us all to gather here...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

casual.ties (New Zealand)() published:

Ménage

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Gwen and Clint are running around the paved outskirts of a park at night, the streets are deserted.

GWEN   Only you...

CLINT   What?

GWEN   Only you would make someone run at this hour of the night.

CLINT   It's cooler, and anyway, if some dodgy homeless guy comes up to us we can work on our combat skills as well as our fitness.

GWEN   As if, you'd probably just ask him for fashion advice.

CLINT  ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

adelineloh (Singapore)() published:

Vessel's Voice

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

(Lights go on to reveal a metal cage on centre stage. It is filled with sand. A creature crawls into the scene from upstage left while wailing in pain. Their lower body resembles that of a female primate, while their upper body appears to be a male’s torso. The creature is evidently injured with lashes all over their body. As they enter the cage, the wailing subsides into a pitiful whimper.)

NAMELESS: (evidently struggling to speak) T-t-to-day was my first...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Hannah Meyeres (United States of America)() published:

Forgotten

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Scene One

MALLORY sits at a dressing table with mascara to her right, and lip stick to her left. A mirror is resting on the wall above the table. A knock is heard.

MALLORY: [picks up the mascara] Come in.

VANNESSA enters. She is middle aged with dark black hair, and wearing a white pantsuit.

VANNESSA: Mallory, Derick is waiting downstairs for you.

MALLORY: [applies mascara] OK.  Thanks Mom. Tell him I'll be down in a minute.

VANNESSA: Alright honey. ...

1
1

Jolenify (Singapore)() published:

A Little Princess

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Set:
The stage is split into half. An empty corridor runs in the middle.

Stage right would be the bedroom set. The backdrop is a pink wall decorated with ribbons and girly stickers. The floor is littered with alphabet blocks, baby rattles, dolls and milk bottles. Further stage right is a table and a chair, both facing the audience. A bucket is placed behind the table. In between the corridor and the bedroom set is a white door.  

Stage...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Evie Ozone (United States of America)() published:

Blind Date

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

Blind Date
Evie Ford
KAREN- Optimistic, clumsy when nervous, naive, forgiving. Wears blazer and white shirt underneath, dress pants. Animal rights lawyer.
DEVON- Cocky, rude, sarcastic, self-important, scared of fish. Wears a suit. Criminal defense lawyer.
STEPHANIE- Bored, vacant. Waitress.
Deven sits alone in a dimly lit restaurant. He checks his watch and exaggeratedly rolls his eyes in annoyance. Karen walks onto stage behind him. She scans the restaurant quickly before seeing him and walks over to stand behind him. ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Niamh Writes (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

The Psychiatrist

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

THE PSYCHIATRIST

The curtain rises, revealing an almost empty stage. A single spotlight hits a shrink’s sofa that’s covered in plush red leather, giving the impression that our characters are in a psychiatrist’s office.
Upon the sofa is a well-dressed WOMAN, her hair fastened into a tight chignon. She appears calm and collected and sits almost a little too still. Next to the sofa is a plain wooden chair, its back towards the audience. On the chair sits...
Seeking Peer Reviews

The Psychiatrist

PROMPT: Playwriting Competition 2016

THE PSYCHIATRIST

Seeking Peer Reviews