All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2022. See Competition

Published writing

Fishstick (Australia) published:

Perhaps Next Time

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The mouse creeps silently through darkness, sniffing cautiously. A pungent aroma fills its nostrils. Cheese sits on a wooden platter, as though left for the mouse to enjoy. Be careful, be quick, just a bite. Snap.

…Was it worth it little mouse? Tangy, creamy glory fills your mouth, but pain engulfs your back. The mouse’s struggle against the metal bar is agonising. It pants, drenched in sweat, it’s silky fur wriggling, muscles heaving to pull away with a pop. It’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9 minutes ago

Liv1107 (New Zealand) published:

Intruders

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

"Even the dead tell stories..." The words had been slurred at her by a crazy man, a man feverish from spending his nights drunk on the street. Staggering from intoxication, he'd grabbed her, clamping his red-tipped fingers around her arms. His words were nonsense; to her they spoke volumes. Five words were enough to make her shiver, her mind run rampant with fervently dark and depressing tales. 
That night she heard the whispers. 'Even the dead tell stories...' over and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

12 minutes ago

Lalita (India) published:

She said yes

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

I'm sitting here writing a latter to the girl I love because I'm too afraid to say that to her and I am sure she's straight and won't like me back but I can't control my feelings right? 

In the morning. 

Hey miya stop I shouted 

Hey Lia she said with her brightest smile which I fell in love with  

I just want to give this to you. You can read this whenever you want and answer me okay I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

34 minutes ago

Macka (Australia) published:

A Drip. A Sound. A Patter.

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

A drip. A sound. A patter. She sees her. She turns  away. She thinks of it all. She thinks of the tear. A drip. A single tear that dripped down her face. No. Come back. She can’t. She remembers her scream. A sound. It’s distant now but once, once it was so loud. She sees the crowd. Sees them all. How they came. A patter. They came with no regrets. They came with no remorse. They came and they saw...

36 minutes ago

CoCoCream (Singapore) published:

Madness?

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

A raindrop indoors. Then a sharp sound. No one else flinches. Then I started seeing people, hearing voices. All unfamiliar. They’re not from my mind but another world.
  People draw back from my mutterings. Perhaps I’m the one drawing back. Reality and hallucination blur together.
  I slipped into the other world. My mum’s blond. My dad’s dead. I’m middle-aged. They say it’s a miracle, delusional for years then cured.
  But, Mama’s black. Papa’s alive. I’m a teenager.
  In and out....

39 minutes ago

Waterside (Australia) published:

The melody of the hurt and angry

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Yelling echoes from below, I as sit in my room blasting music through my headphones waiting for the argument to be over. Its now a daily occurrence of having to hear this, its my grandparents turn as they fight down stairs their debating skills put to waste over another stupid reason, its just nature now. Every single day it's either school, parents or grandparents, sometimes a combination of the three, even worse all of them. I admit I fight with...

about 1 hour ago

3

lochnessie (Australia) published:

winter sun

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

I am four, and my father carries me on his shoulders late at night - the street is quiet enough. Apprehensive. The air is cool and bitter, city smog.
I am seven, and my grandmother pulls me along, walking briskly. The street is damp with rain and dense with floral perfume.
I am fourteen, and the street reflects rainbows. It is Valentine's Day, and I walk hand in hand with my reason to blush. 

I am fifteen, and my father...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

4

Eblinn (Belgium) published:

catwalk in the city

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

he's limping in his runners. worn by generations of people he doesn't know, the street feeds on his rubber soles. and when the air smokes up and the day bellows, he sits crosslegged.

coffee cup spills empty on the floor. dimes roll in the gutter. his hands scramble. they trample. 

it's their money. their pumps, boots, sneakers, ankles. sometimes they trip over his living. being. in their gaits he tastes loneliness, heartbreak, sunken thoughts. but also carelessness. and disgust. to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

1

y1shan.g (New Zealand) published:

Rear-view mirror

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

It was 11:59pm. I look in the rear-view mirror, waiting, as frost creeps up my car window.

She would be here.

Soon.

When the luminescent red numbers on my dashboard morphs, I know it's time. My eyes dart to the mirror again, and there she was, cold gaze meeting mine unwaveringly. Suddenly, everything I've prepared and practiced in the bathroom seeps out of my brain, as my mouth tries to form even just a word. Before I utter anything, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

1

Great_Piggy (United States) published:

After Two Years

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Billy and his best friend went to the town’s only arcade. He anxiously asked, “Hey Frank, what if there are people I know?” 
Suddenly, Frank’s phone rang. 
Joey. 
Billy moved to Canada two years ago and never contacted old friends from Hanover except for Frank. The awkwardness he imagined terrified him. Frank convinced Billy there wouldn't be anyone, but Billy was busy scanning faces.
Joey told Frank that a group will arrive at the arcade to celebrate a friend’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

siddd_77 (United Kingdom) published:

That’s Entertainment

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The faint chatter of voices filled the halls, but none sounded close enough to pick up on what they were saying. I walked past the glass cases, each one had a person inside, eyes closed, behind a white masquerade mask, with gold feathers ever so gently placed at the corner. They looked like they were…sleeping? Why would they be sleeping? Before I could even begin to think of an answer, I was grabbed from behind, a cloth stuffed into my...

about 3 hours ago

1

Lily Sheppard (United Kingdom) published:

Running from the past

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

"A fresh start, away from it all" I thought as I stepped off the plane and walked down the stairs, with new hope guiding me. Spain. A place where no one knew my name, my past. A fresh start. 

Getting out of the airport was faster than getting in. I raised my arm to call for a taxi, eventually one stopped at the side of the road and the man, with a friendly but familiar smile, asked "Dónde?"
"Seville, por...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

MuhQuinas (United States) published:

Vengeance of A Young Girl

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The chuckling tyrant fed her pain. Rel keeled over, contemplating either the clouds above, or pain within.
    "Teff really was the only one keeping you in line" she spat, blood from the crook of her mouth watering the dead earth below.
    The ringing returned to her. Tears bounced on her cheeks, from the sudden stirring of boots against bottles.
    "Get up," pierced the ringing. Her now squeezed hand lifted her to her...

about 4 hours ago

1

ACSB (El Salvador) published:

What is bad

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

And here I am, alone, with my stupid feelings. How did I ever think I was here to save the world? All this power, all this time. I thought I was weird, different, and in fact, I was. At first, I could only go back when I wanted to change something because it hurt my feelings. Then, it was for someone I loved. Finally, I was able to control it. I thought I could change every bad thing; everything wrong....

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 4 hours ago

kuchisabishi (Canada) published:

Beauty Has but One Fear

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The girl’s delicate features are twisted into a visage of utter fear. The rouge from her ruby red lips bleeds through the old rag she is gagged with.

To be fair, I did warn her. Did she think nothing of the torn hibiscus petals strewn about on her porch, the just-blooming buds ripped violently off their stems, or did beauty make her arrogant?

Two slashes from my knife still her beating heart, and it would only take one more to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

1

Woleres (United States) published:

Lint

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

I've always had lint in my pocket. Short fibers of cloth or yarn, at least that's the Google definition of lint. When I was younger I used to think Shadows put the lint in my pocket. How else would it get there? But now I know Shadows don't just put lint in people's pockets. Shadows enjoy stuffing your ears with wax, putting sand in your eyes, and sticking dirt between your toes. I wish the Shadows liked me, then...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Juli70021 (United States) published:

A Rumor

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

It's just a rumor. Our "Haunted Woods" are famous, but there's no danger. If people really were disappearing here there'd be missing posters or worried families. 
It's just a rumor. 
Still these woods aren't exactly the place to be. Only five more minutes and I'll finish this silly dare.
Crack!
I twirl around immediately. Time stops as I watch the rustling bush. Maybe there's truth to the stories. Something jumps at me! I'd be a liar if I said...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Ashtyn (United States) published:

Escaping Livingston Manor

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The water beat against my legs. I believed the current wanted to pull me down so it could swallow me up just like the rest of the children that go missing here. Livingston Manor and all its horrors was not a place I thought I would ever escape, but when the opportunity presented itself to leave under the darkness of the New Moon I was stupid enough to take it. 

I heard tales of the monster that haunted the area....
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Tejas (Canada) published:

Idyllic

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Idyllic were the trees that surrounded the town.
Idyllic was the lake that stood outside the town.
Idyllic, were the school kids, “unique” yet fit all the social constructs?
Idyllic, was everyone, who fit all the social norms, with no exceptions.
Imperfect, was I, the exception.
Traitorous, were my values, that challenged the status quo.
Scandalous, was everything I wore.
Lost, was my future, that did not fit into anything they wanted.
Nightmarish, was everything I did, even if...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

aemrose (Canada) published:

Feeling Blue

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

The wind flows through her fingers like water. It whips her ocean coloured hair against her face, like waves crashing against her umber skin. The sun warms her bare feet on the dashboard, her neon yellow toenails stark against the turquoise sky. She taps the side of the car in a random melody, humming along to a tune playing on repeat inside her head. She spins one of the sapphire studs in her ears with the other hand. The air...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

Asha Kaur (Canada) published:

Forest of Corpses

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

A healer walked through the corpses littering the ground, looking for his wife. When he found her his heart shattered. All of his spells were futile, nothing could save her from death. Plants sprouted around them as his powers leeched into the earth. Consumed by his grief he never noticed as the tree encased him.

Many years later a forest grew there, and at the heart of the forest, there was a tree much stranger than the others. The base was a perfect sculpture...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

Avery Wallace (United States) published:

How He Got the Girl

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

It is past midnight when she hears a knock at the door. 
The sound reverberates through a hollow home, bouncing off the hardwood floors. Candlesticks give the rooms an eerie incandecence, with shadows drawn to extremes. 
Footsteps tap as her feet hit the ground. 
Metallic clicking, the creak of a door. Reticence for one, two, three.
A bloodcurdling scream induces the wall of silence to break. It’s him. 
The girl’s panicked movements are fruitless. She attempts to run, feet smacking...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

2

Catesw (United States) published:

Primary Succession

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Primary Succession

The girl explores an ashen forest.
“What do you seek?” asks Old-Pine, one of few survivors.
“Rebirth.” 
She clutches a letter in a flowery script, torn at the edges.
My time is gone. Yours is not. Love deeply, inquire widely: growth comes from loss.”
Who?”
“Mother.”
Her sallow countenance melds with charred surroundings, a soft, stricken gray. 
Searching gives meaning, she thinks. The effort.
Old-Pine angles a branch.
“There is what you seek.”
A small lodgepole...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

aemrose (Canada) published:

Feeling Blue

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

Evelyn Timms (United States) published:

Sometimes Isn't Always

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2022

Sometimes, you can pretend to forget how much you are hurting. Sometimes, you smile and act like you are naive to the cruelty you've already faced. They always believe the smile. It's not their fault. That's why you do it, you smile so they stop questioning. 
    Sometimes, you convince yourself of the facade. you tell yourself that you are exaggerating the scars on your heart. Sometimes, the feeling that your life isn't worth the trouble dissipates,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago