All writing published for Historical Fiction Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

1

Michelle Cho (United States) published:

Gathering Courage For Justice

PROMPT: Historical Fiction Competition 2016

This  is  a  letter  that  a  former  peasant  wrote  to  her  leader  regarding  the  issues  about  women's  rights.  It  was  written  before  the  women  rights'  movement  took  a  more  active  role  in  obtaining  rights  for  women.  Unfortunately,  the letter  was  never  sent  to  Bismarck.  Later  when  the  letter  was  found  a  century  later,  it  was  shredded  to  a  thousand  pieces. 

D
ear Otto Von  Bismarck ,                  ...

lovelyjanelle13 (United States) published:

The American Dream

The market was the perfect place for an aspiring writer, full of fascinating scents and intriguing conversations to eavesdrop on. Sebastian sits on the empty wooden barrel that used to hold wine watching the people bustling around the market. His hand is poised with a pen in it, the tip pressed to blank parcel. Heavy footsteps march towards him. Sebastian glances up in time to dodge the hand of a military officer.
"No loitering."
"Es tut mir leid. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" Sebastian speaks in his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hope peace & love (United States) published:

The Secret Saviour

It has finally worked, but the people who helped me make it are now trying to take it from me, and use it for evil. I can't let this happen, I must go back to a time before this device was ever conceived. This may be the last I put in this notebook, let us hope, for the sake of humanity, that it is not.

I have succeeded but because I destroyed the plans I unknowingly destroyed my way back...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The Secret Saviour

It has finally worked, but the people who helped me make it are now trying to take it from me, and use it for evil. I can't let this happen, I must go back to a time before this device was ever conceived. This may be the last I put in this notebook, let us hope, for t sake of humanity, that it is not.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Casey Rae Fristoe (United States) published:

Girl, Shanghaied

It wasn't fear to begin with, it was wariness. As she stepped off the ramp leading from the little ship to the dock, Christina looked around and sniffed. There was salt in the air, as an ocean town such as Astoria, Oregon. There was coal and oil, and fish and dirty people. But there was another smell, one she couldn't place and didn't particularly want to. Something... industrial.
    As she looked around at the crowded arrival canal, immigrants...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Girl, Shanghaied

Seeking Peer Reviews

Girl, Shanghaied

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sacha Rines (United Kingdom) published:

Acephalous

The mist twirled prettily, occasionally getting its skirts caught and having to linger there accordingly, before darting back to resume its position as leader of the dance. It never fully breached the entrance of Westminster Abbey, but it still caused cloaks and children to be drawn closer. Secrets were of a lighter tread, intertwining in amongst the bodies adorned with startling scarlet and dissonant purples, as they twisted and conjured the necessary relish for their ritual: paranoia. Eyes flitted in...

1

Sacha Rines (United Kingdom) published:

Acephalous

1

Sacha Rines (United Kingdom) published:

Acephalous

1

Sacha Rines (United Kingdom) published:

Acephalous

1

Norah (United States) published:

The One Grand Piano

Every day we were worked nearly to death. 
    There was a phrase written in bold black across the top of an archway at the entrance to the ghetto: “work makes you free.” Ironically we were prisoners. There was a courtyard filled with sand and large brick buildings. We were crowded into small white rooms with wooden bunks stacked three on top of eachother. They took our clothes and set us to work mining and manufacturing. 
    We would return to the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lilly.VB (United Kingdom) published:

A Life for a Life

I started running. My mind flashed back to my mom crying at the kitchen table as the rusty mail delivery van came, rumbling and coughing, up our dusty path. She damned Vietnam for killing innocent people of our country. She praised America for fighting the Vietnam force but then damned them for dragging her boy to fight. I remember looking into the mirror into my own icy blue eyes; trying to imagine myself as a soldier. It all seemed so...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kughrin (United States) published:

Moonlight Serenade

May 15th, 1943

Rita adjusted her pearls. Her small bedroom had a faint, sweet smell of perfume and fresh linens. The small vanity she sat at was cluttered with little items. A paper box filled bottle caps from sodas she had shared with friends, a pink flower clip for her hair given to her by her father, her mother's favorite lipstick. Perhaps, the most treasured of them all was a seashell from the year she visited the beach with her...
Seeking Peer Reviews

elaine.louise (Canada) published:

In the Wake of Fire

Two blacksmiths meandered through the streets of Rome with the careful ease of habitual practice. The city itself, once so grand it would make King Solomon weep, was but a hollow shell of its former glory. The buildings rose high above the streets in blackened disarray, with holes burned through the red roof-tiles and doors hanging off their smoldering hinges. Barely a week had passed, and folk were already calling it The Great Fire. They said that Emperor Nero lit...

Seeking Peer Reviews

csaw (United States) published:

Reclaim: Shanghai 1977

I stepped out of the apartment quickly, closing the door behind me. For a beat, I stopped -  hearing the sounds of neighbors scurrying grow louder, forcing me to pause before continuing down the hall. Children talking and parents laughing engulfed the air. Echoing through all the years that they been missing.              
    The streets of Shanghai glowed to me that day, not because of any blinding marble or gleaming stone, but the hostile attitude of the city had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The Word Doktor (United Kingdom) published:

The Long March

​​The Long March
Left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right. The ever sluggish march to war dragged on. My boots, dirty and covered with the blood of other men. My uniform, ripped, stained and burnt with the blasts of thousands of explosions. My helmet, scratched, dented and smashed with bits of shrapnel and bullets. The heavy wooden rifle, on its leather sling, digging into my left shoulder as I marched onwards. We were singing. I don’t know...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Grace Croken (United States) published:

Me Ionwo

I was born in Ghana during a drought. The luminous sun beat down onto the earth, baking all of us to a crisp. For an extremely long time, we were never visited by rain, which made the world around us dry, barren and infertile. Our harvest failed, leaving our produce wilted, straw-like and dead. The huge river that used to flow through the village is gone now too. It dried up, leaving nothing behind, not even a trickle of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Grace Croken (United States) published:

Me Ionwo

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Angelina Nguyen (Australia) published:

The other side of the story

He entered the room, slowly shuffling, which was clumsy to do with his oversized boots. Conscious of the footsteps of mud he had made, he promised quietly to himself that he would clean it up once he was done. The day had been long but for him, it was over in a split second. It proved that time really did fly when he was busy though he could not help but feel unsettled, as if his daily routines were going...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kylie Jump (United States) published:

Lost

I’ve lost everything, it’s all gone. Robert Odell sat on the steps of his porch staring out at the yard in front of him. He sat outside on his old wooden porch to escape the chaos of thoughts trapped within the walls of his house. Everything just seems gloomier now, even the old cheerful chatter of birds seem lonely and wistful.Robert’s thoughts drifted back to the time before the events that took place a single week before. It...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Kughrin (United States) published:

Moonlight Serenade

May 15th, 1943

Rita adjusted her pearls. Her small bedroom had a faint, sweet smell of perfume and fresh linens. The small vanity she sat at was cluttered with little items. A little box of bottle caps from sodas she had shared with friends, a pink flower clip for her hair given to her by her father, her mother's favorite lipstick. Perhaps, the most treasured of them all was a seashell from the year she visited the beach with her...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Grace Olson (United States) published:

War Is Hell

There was a flash.  The shudder on the camera clicked, jolting me backwards.  That explosion of light shook me.

I hadn't realized how long it'd been since I'd had my photograph taken, but something in the experience had my heart pounding.  I looked down, realizing that somewhere in that instant of desperate shock, my index finger had found the trigger of my M16.  

I readjusted my hand around the gun, trying to get a grip.  I took...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Grace Olson (United States) published:

War Is Hell

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Grace Olson (United States) published:

War Is Hell

Seeking Peer Reviews