All writing published for Op-ed Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

AnnieIgcl (United States) published:

Making Holocaust Denial Illegal

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

In 1945, President Dwight Eisenhower predicted that there would be people who would attempt to deny the Holocaust, therefore he arranged press to come and document parts of the Holocaust.  There are many anti-semitic people in America but denying the Holocaust takes anti-semitism to a whole new level.  Holocaust Denial should not be legalized in America because it is disrespectful, illegal in Israel, and harmful.
    We commemorate the six million Jews whose lives were taken away, but we also...

Seeking Peer Reviews

GT00 (United States) published:

Dress Codes of ND

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Have you ever been dress coded or sent home because your clothes were “too inappropriate”? Did you think my clothes have nothing wrong with them? Well you probably thought that because there was nothing wrong with them. School dress codes are getting too ban happy with clothing. Have you ever sat down and actually looked at a school’s dress code. There are ridiculous rules that don’t let kids express themselves. I think the only rules we should have is if...

Seah Caiying (Singapore) published:

Income Inequality a social vice?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

What is democracy? It is a beautiful philosophy that gifts the people with the tools to achieve equality. It is, however, not a preacher of equality as the end goal. But more often than not, democrats conflict the two, choosing to adopt the idea that democracy in essence is to have equality throughout the nation. It led to the deafening cries of presidential candidates, capitalizing on this supposed loophole to appeal to the sympathies of the general populace. Bernie Sanders...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ZackMGCL (United States) published:

Daily Fantasy Football, Gambling or Not?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Each week from October to January, I along with millions of other fanatics, subscribe to a weekly fantasy football league in the hopes of winning money. Daily fantasy football is composed of two elements, money and football. A player first chooses a league with a "buy-in" of a certain amount of money. Next, the player sets about compiling a strategic lineup that falls under the required "salary cap" for the league. This might sound like gambling but really, fantasy football...

WilliamTGCL (United States) published:

Why Gun Control is a Bad Idea

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Gun control is big topic in America, often discussed by people who do not seem to grasp the most basic principles of firearms. Guns are regarded by those who have no experience with them as tools of death and destruction that have no place in a civilized world. Unfortunately, many people use firearms to commit atrocities. This is an example of a good thing being done or used incorrectly like medical malpractice and drunk driving which kill 440,000...

JacksGCL (United States) published:

The Wussification of America

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

The Wussification of America

When NFL linebacker, James Harrison, posted on Instagram that he would be sending back the trophies his sons received “until they earn a real trophy,” parents responded in uproars (Wallace). Today, children are given awards just for showing up, no matter if they win, lose, or try their best. Men’s Journal wrote an article on the benefits and disadvantages to rewarding children with participation awards, “Studies have shown that rewarding children just for participating can...

JacksGCL (United States) published:

The Wussification of America

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

The Wussification of America

MayAGCL (United States) published:

Do Teachers Grade Students Based On Appearance?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

High school students all around the country have always been told not to get body modifications such as piercings, hair dye, and scarification. Is there a good reason?

Why do teenagers undertake body modifications anyways? In a 2007 article about why people get tattoos, it was mentioned that tattoos give the youth “feelings of greater control and authority over their own lives” (Jones). Also, tattoos can display maturity and autonomy, if utilized in...

MayAGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

MayAGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

High school students all around the country have always been told not to get body modifications such as piercings, hair dye, and scarification (maybe explain scarification in case people don’t know what it is). Is there a good reason?

Why do teenagers undertake body modifications anyways? In a 2007 article about why people get tattoos, it was mentioned that tattoos give the youth “feelings of greater control and authority over their own lives”...

1

Sharmaine Koh (Singapore) published:

Preschool Tuition: Let Children be Children

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

My parents grew up in a time when education was seen more as a supplementary vitamin than a vital life-support pill. For all the time their peers didn’t spend on homework, they spent on play. They often spoke about all the silly things children did to occupy the hours of idle slow afternoons in suburban Singapore. It seemed to me that the less they had then, the more they gained from the dizzying blithe they derived from games inspired by...

Seeking Peer Reviews

RuthieSGCL (United States) published:

Human Nature’s Obsession with Phony Empathy

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

It is human nature to concern oneself in another’s life. The question is: when is it too far? To what extent is it acceptable to meddle in a person’s long for happiness by reason of ‘sensibility?’ Nowadays, many attempt to empathize with transgenders. This fails because of our lack of understanding; most do not value transgenders as equals. Gender identity is a popular topic of discussion. Some stand rigidly against the idea of gender modification, some are incredulous by the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

RuthieSGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

ALIZAAM (United States) published:

Where My Insecurities Become the Government’s Business

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Over one half of teenage girls use unhealthy behaviors such as skipping meals, taking laxatives and intentional regurgitation to lose weight (Smouse). Over four-hundred public websites serve the purpose of encouraging Bulimia and Anorexia (Laurence). In a five minute google search I was able to find graphic websites that included “thinsporation”, mantras stating “you ARE a fat ass,”  and daily challenges promoting eating less than five-hundred calories a day. Websites encouraging bulimic...

GT00 (United States) published:

Dress Codes of ND

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Have you ever been dress coded or sent home because your clothes were “too inappropriate”? Did you think my clothes have nothing wrong with them? Well you probably thought that because there was nothing wrong with them. School dress codes are getting too ban happy with clothing. Have you ever sat down and actually looked at a school’s dress code. There are ridiculous rules and don’t let kids express themselves. I think the only rules we should have is if...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sarahlgcl (United States) published:

Space Exploration and Travel

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Space Exploration and Travel
    Space is full of the unknown and is, after many years, still being explored. The interest in space age began in the late 1950s, which triggered the creation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, also known as NASA. Space is a very interesting topic; we should want to learn more about it. Exploring Space can show us that so much is possible and it can teach many lessons. Such as, expanding our minds to new...

Seeking Peer Reviews

18gardners (United States) published:

​Climate Change and Income Inequality: A Cycle

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

As climates become warmer and photos of stranded polar bears and melting ice caps accumulate on the internet, people become more interested in “being green.” Usually, this means thinking about basic recycling. However, there is little focus on global impact, especially in the United States, where buying new technology seems to be the most effective solution. People choose one problem, and then attempt to change it. However, problems like climate change and income inequality need to be viewed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

DanielsGCL (United States) published:

The Right To Die

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Assisted suicide is not an immoral or unethical way to die. It is a person’s right to decide whether they would like to live in pain or die in dignity. The topic of assisted suicide began to gain popularity in 1990, when Jack Kevorkian helped assist the suicide of Janet Adkins. Then, in 1999, assisted suicide attracted further attention all around the United States, after Kevorkian was convicted for helping people commit suicide. Assisted suicide is the process in...

caroline_swann (United States) published:

The Time for Change Is Now

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

In 2013, the National Congress of American Indians created an ad in protest of the team name and mascot of the Washington Redskins football team. In the ad, the organization listed a variety of words and names that were appropriate and acceptable to describe and call the indigenous peoples of the United States. At the end of the ad, the one word we as Americans should not be using when referring to our Native peoples was the term...

DanielsGCL (United States) published:

The Right To Die

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

SamiSGCL (United States) published:

Dogs Are People Too!

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Sami Seiden
Mrs. Corrine S.
GLC H1
21 March, 2016

Dogs Are People Too!

For every dog bred, is a shelter dog dead. There are about 7.6 million animals put into shelters each year. Not even half of those get adopted. I blame this on the breeders that refuses to stop breeding litters. I blame this on the people who buy dogs from breeders and not shelters. I blame the people who do not get their dogs fixed or neutered,...

annarosebGCL (United States) published:

All the Skinny Girls Are Dead

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

“Children would rather lose an arm, be hit by a truck or have a parent die of cancer, than be fat” according to a poll taken by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre in Toronto,  (“Research Suggests That Eating Disorders”).This statistic shows that children are being influenced from a young age to have eating disorder thoughts. It is a common myth that having an eating disorder is a choice, or that it is just a version of extreme dieting; however,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

EvanbGCL (United States) published:

The Ideal Drinking Age

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Nearly 88,000 people die from alcohol related deaths every year (Alcohol Facts and Statistics).  In 2013, 697,000 adolescents ages twelve through seventeen had an Alcohol Use Disorder AUD (Alcohol Facts and Statistics). The current, legal drinking age is twenty-one years old, yet underage teenagers continue to drink. If adolescents will drink regardless of the law, why keep the law at twenty-one? Six percent of countries` legal drinking age is twenty-one, while eighty-three percent of countries are under twenty-one (Should...

2

BrentRGcl (United States) published:

One Wrong Move Can Mess You Up For Life

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

One Wrong Move Can Mess You Up For Life
Laying on your back on the football field with your parent, coach, and park trainer towering over you. You hear one phrase over and over again, "stay awake we're here for you.” Then finding out that you have gotten a concussion for the brutal hit you just took. Not to mention, the missed practices and school for two weeks. Not because of physical pain, but because it hurts to use your...

SydneyrGCL (United States) published:

Should Firearms be Allowed on College Campuses?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Eleven thousand five hundred ninety-one people have been killed by guns in Georgia since 2001.  This statistic is two times the number of American people killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars combined (Fact Sheet: Georgia Gun Violence).  There is an increasing number of places allowing guns; forty-five states allow firearms to be carried openly.  In Georgia, on March 11th, 2016, “[the] Senator motion[ed] to resolve [the] debate during the debate on HB [House Bill] 859, which would...

Seeking Peer Reviews