All writing published for Op-ed Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

Ally Byzewski (United States) published:

Are You In Or Out?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Isn’t it nice having to stay inside for 7 hours of the day. Also if you're in any other schools activities you get to stay inside even more. It just makes me feel so stressed having all this homework and knowing that I won't have time to do anything else. I just love not being able to go outdoors and do my own thing!
    One of the reasons that kids nowadays are not able to go outdoors and enjoy...

Isabella M GCL (United States) published:

Too much homework is compromising students’ mental health, physical health, and overall quality of life

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

It’s another average night, and as usual I am frantically trying to complete my hours worth of homework, eat dinner, shower, get ready for bed, talk to my family, and unwind, all after my 8 hour long school day. For the millionth time I wonder how this constant stress is beneficial to me. Surely the anxiety caused by this overwhelming amount of homework cannot be healthy -- in fact research shows it’s not.
    Studies show that homework can be linked...

Seeking Peer Reviews

annarosebGCL (United States) published:

All the Skinny Girls Are Dead

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

“Children would rather lose an arm, be hit by a truck or have a parent die of cancer, than be fat” according to a poll taken by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre in Toronto,  (“Research Suggests That Eating Disorders”).This statistic shows that children are being influenced from a young age to have eating disorder thoughts. It is a common myth that having an eating disorder is a choice, or that it is just a version of extreme dieting; however,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Jaycee Anderson (United States) published:

The True Story of Thanksgiving

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

The concept of a heartfelt Thanksgiving is very important to most Americans and we have celebrated it annually for many years. It is also important that we give thanks and live in a state of “thanksgiving”, meaning that you express your gratitude especially to God or, for Natives, use the creativity and talent that the Creator gave you. Sooner or later, people discover what those skills are or find what they are gracious for and they begin to cultivate them,...

The True Story of Thanksgiving

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

The True Story of Thanksgiving

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Kenneth Sorensen (United States) published:

college should be free

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Most people plan on going to college after high school but never do. This is because college is either too expensive or they don’t want to be paying student loans until they’re 50. I think that college should become free or at least have cheaper tuition. They should have a affordable shared tuition. You used to have to pay for your kids to go to school grades k-12, but people got that changed to being free. Bernie Sanders also thinks...

college should be free

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

college should be free

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Day-Dim (United States) published:

The Flint Water Problem

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

A town in Michigan, thankfully brought to media attention by Mr. Larry Gabriel, an author for Yes! magazine,  had experienced water issues courtesy of their government. The town, Flint, was experiencing hair loss, rashes, and respiratory infections due to an increase in lead in their water supply. These problems were caused by Governor Rick Snyder for the appointment of the Emergency Manager who made the switch. So perhaps Rick shouldn't be Governor if he can’t make the proper precautions...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Day-Dim (United States) published:

The Flint Water Problem

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jahquez Davis (United States) published:

How Your Life Could Be Worse

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

People go around complaining about little things that happen in their life, so I sit and listen to their problems;it kind of makes me laugh at the things they consider problems. Now I’m not saying my life was a complete hell like some people, but it wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine.
It started when my mom had me when she was 15. She tried to make having a kid and going to school at the same time work; the result...

Seeley (United States) published:

To Pee or Not to Pee: The Transgender Bathroom Debate

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Chances are, if you live in America, by now you’ve heard about the transgender bathroom dilemma. If not, let me brief you: here in the USA, transgender people want to be able to use bathrooms for the gender they identify with. However, such an absurd and selfish request has fallen on deaf ears from society and the law, who say that these people are simply perverts and should pee in the bathroom of the gender they were assigned at birth....

Aniliese Meyer (United States) published:

Why it's Not Out of the Ordinary to Hate Everyone

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

People can do great things. We console one another when we are upset. We may save each others lives, or even do simple tasks such as loaning a neighbor a cup of sugar. But then again there are those that smack their food, talk like they have never gone to school, or have the most absurd morals. My only question is, why are people so annoying?
    Sitting in class, walking along the street, at the movie theater, in the...

LadyT (Singapore) published:

A Rational Re-think of Food

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

A week ago, I proudly resolved to abstain from sugary drinks for a month in an attempt to lead a healthier lifestyle.  At the counter during lunch, the cashier asked which soft drink I’d like with my sandwich meal to which I naturally declined with the half-sad smile of the disciplined dieter. In return, however, I received awkward explanations of how the drink in fact came with the meal and nods that suggested they thought it was my first time...

Taylor Winkler (United States) published:

Violent Video Games Are Not Related to Violence in Real Life

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

In recent years there has been violent video games that have been criticized and blamed for the violence and mass shootings of today. Parents think that every mass shooting and violence is caused by violent video games. I think that is completely false. Personally I think that violent video games are a way to vent anger and stress.
This will sound morbid, but I enjoy blowing people up with missiles and shooting their heads off in video games. It...

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Janee Harris (United States) published:

School Should Start Later

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

School Should Start a little Later
Is school making us teens sleep deprived? Why should we start so early? What’s the benefits of starting early? Us teens are always complaining about how tired we are, and the answer is always your phones, tv's, and video games, but are those the only things that are making us tired?
There has been many research for this question and one theory is that maybe school is starting way too early. The fact that...

Adam (United States) published:

Rights for the "Wrong" Community

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

For centuries my people have been hurt and killed for no reason. Many people have been silently agreeing to this treatment and many others advocate it. In South Africa’s army they castrated or, in their eyes, fixed the problem of homosexuality. We have all heard the news about conversion therapy, or electroshock therapy of old. Religion has been expressing hatred toward any group that they can oppress, and the LGBT community is no exception. We have to acknowledge how...

Adam (United States) published:

Rights for the "Wrong" Community

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Adam (United States) published:

Rights for the "Wrong" Community

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

JOY Jay (Singapore) published:

The Social Dilemma

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

One day last year, I woke up with a novel sense of loss and a squirmy anxiety that drove me to turn on my laptop hurriedly. The night before, I had posted a reflection cum appreciation message on Facebook to thank a group of friends whom I had been working with closely for over 2 months to pull off a major project.

Having seen my friends toil so hard and sacrifice much of their personal time for this project, I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Soong Zhuo Qi (Singapore) published:

The Decaying Dialect Culture in Singapore

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

A study has shown that the usage of Chinese dialects has fallen greatly, When Chinese dialects used to be heavily employed by 59.5% of the population in 1980, this number fell by a whole 45.2% in just thirty years. From this, it seems evident that Chinese Dialects in Singapore are approaching their demise. Why is this happening? This might be primarily due to English and Mandarin being the preferred choice of communication among newer generations of Singaporeans due to it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

danibeme (United States) published:

How a Urinal is Art

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

My mother asked me to clean my room. I started complaining, saying, “Later, it’s my room, I have homework.” Later she came to me and said, “On principle, I want you to clean your room,” and left. I thought about what she had said. What principle? I thought, “This is such a smallproblem. What would it matter if my room is clean or not?” What I didn’t realize is that this is what my mother was telling me: On...