All writing published for Op-ed Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

18thaurer (United States) published:

Op-Ed: Income Inequality and the Effect on Inner City Schools

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

One of the most glaring effects of income inequality is the difference in educational attainment between the children of suburban school systems and the children of inner city school systems ultimately leading to problems of race. Since most schools in America are funded by property taxes, wealthier suburban towns pour far more money into their school systems than poor inner city school districts. The results are predictable. While 71 percentof suburban children who graduate high school, the same can...

18millern (United States) published:

Income Inequality- Gender Pay Gap

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Are women treated the same as men when it comes to their pay check? How does their race effect this? Overall, working women are paid less than men. Even 50 years after President Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act in 1963, requiring men and women in the same workplace to earn equal pay, it’s still a problem (Chemaly).
    Did you know in 2014, a gap of 21% resulted from women being paid 79% of men’s income? Luckily, this gap has...

Kelsey Haydon (United States) published:

Pit Bulls

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Animals are beautiful but can be dangerous. Most animals we associate ourselves with have a great balance between calm and aggression. These factors make up our decision in which we humans keep as pets, like dogs, cats, and hamsters for example. Even though we think of these animals as safe enough to keep in our home, some people want something different and even on the verge of deadly. Even though these exotic animals need permits to be held by...

AdamCGCL (United States) published:

In the Split Second

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Adam Cohen

Split Second
Imagine you are running on the field in a soccer game and BANG, someone runs into you and you are knocked out stone cold. You wake up in the hospital, and the doctor tells you that you have a certain type of head trauma called a concussion. A concussion is a “brain injury caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head” (“What Is a Concussion?”) There are so many dangers and uncertainties about concussions...

Nahom Haddis (United States) published:

Your Dream

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

“You have a dream..You gotta protect it”, these words were (in my opinion), some of the most influential words spoken in the film: Pursuit of Happyness. This film was notable to me for it’s inspirational message and dialogue. These powerful words encourage people to follow their dreams, no matter the cost. These words are akin to the words “I refuse to sink” which were tattooed onto Syrian immigrant Hussein. These words, full of determination and purpose, tie in with what...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

rebeccaggcl (United States) published:

Body Image

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

I looked in the mirror and thought, I want to be skinnier and more perfect. Body image: the way you see yourself and imagine how you look. Most of the time, having a positive body image means that you feel comfortable in your own body and you feel good about the way you look. But have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and were unhappy with how your body looked? In 1998, a poll found that 47 percent...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Quixotica (United States) published:

The Dangerous Amnesia of Our Educational System

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Were I to accept what I heard in history class at school recently, I would believe that the US once flirted with imperialism and then rejected it like a scandalized schoolgirl, scurrying back to isolationism, which eventually gave way to our reluctant role as a global sheriff. Sounds nice. But this reluctant-and-benign-superpower narrative is useless, unfortunately, for understanding current events and the evolution and effects of US foreign policy. And the  redacted version of history we learn in school is,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Allen Brien (United States) published:

Gun Control: My Opinion

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Gun Control
There are many problems that that the U.S. faces today, and one of the biggest and most controversial is gun control. There are varying thoughts that involve the extent to which we should be limiting guns. One thought is that all guns should be made unavailable to all citizens. The next, less extreme method is that they should be only available to members of the police, members/ veterans of the military, and other members of authority. Our current...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Allen Brien (United States) published:

Gun Control: My Opinion

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Gun Control
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cerys Pearce (United Kingdom) published:

Education is Key

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

As we sit in classrooms, and daydream about our ever-waiting beds at home, somewhere else in the world, a child is sat in the midst of poverty and war, dreaming of the day she can hold a pencil in her hand, and be able to etch her opinions out, free of fear.

We take education far too lightly, we scoff at teachers who tell us we have amazing opportunities, we roll our eyes at after school study sessions, we meet...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Taylor Just (United States) published:

I Wear Glasses, and I am Not a Nerd

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

A nerd, by definition is a person who is overly intellectual and also lacks social skills.  If this definition is true, then me being a nerd, is not true.  I do wear glasses, but am not overly intellectual.  Wearing glasses does not automatically make me more intelligent.  I learn the same way that other students in my classes do.  I learn the same information that everyone else does.  I don’t go home and study for hours on end just because...

Roni Downs (United States) published:

Why Don't Students Like School

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

I feel like students don't like school because their teachers don't have a full understanding of certain  cognitive principles and therefore don't teach us as well as they could. They don't present material in ways that appeal best to students mind. Presumably, if teachers go by how the mind works then students would love school, because they would feel like the teachers are teaching the lesson in a way that they can learn it more easier.  Ask any school...

Corrineeeee (United States) published:

Theories on World ending

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

So I’ve actually been thinking, what kind of theories do people make up in their head about the world coming to an end or how it will happen or even when it will happen? The most worldwide known ending was suppose to be December 21st, 2012 because that’s when the Mayan calendar ended and there was a movie on it, so obviously it got everyone on a hype. This theory to me made absolute no sense!!!! Like, Australia is already...

Corrineeeee (United States) published:

Theories on World ending

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Alex Lawrence (United States) published:

Possibility of the Living Undead

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Most nightmares are made from fear. Fear can range from a variety of things: rational and irrational. Simple things such as heights, needles and spiders to vampires, ghosts and the monster under your bed. Fear of fictional things isn’t all that bad considering it’s not real. But what if your fictional fear comes to life? What if your irrational fear of zombies suddenly becomes a real issue?
If zombies were to become a real thing, which isn’t entirely impossible, they...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Skylar Bell (United States) published:

Blind Side

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Okay. We get it. You're trying to improve your skills, but listen to me, girl, your skills suck. You can practice on your free time but take it off when you're done. If you wear crappy makeup in public, and I see you, prepare yourself to be made fun of.
How can these girls be orange, like did you really buy 20 shades darker foundation on purpose because you have this desiring dream to look like the orange in your...

1

rachelsGCL (United States) published:

Why Schools Worldwide Should Not Ban A Girl’s Right To Wear Makeup

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

About 20 percent (one in five) of girls in the United States have worn makeup from ages 8-18 because they feel insecure without it (“From Barbies to Blush”). Sixty five percent of teens who wear makeup started wearing it from ages 8 to 13. According to Experian Simmons National Consumer Research, about half of the girls in the United States of America wear lip gloss starting at six years old (Hanes). Wearing makeup is a personal choice. Not only does...

1

rachelsGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

1

rachelsGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Judithtgcl (United States) published:

Organ Donation

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

On an average, 22 people everyday die from the lack of available organs for transplant. One organ can save eight lives. Donating an organ shows responsibility, Generosity, and happiness. People are dying everyday because there is not enough donors. Usually, your organs would be donated to either the person in the worst conditions, or in alphabetical order. UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing) Is responsible for who gets the organ first. If you decide to be a donor, you...

Judithtgcl (United States) published:

Organ Donation

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Judithtgcl (United States) published:

Organ Donation

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

4

rachelsGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

About one in five20 percent (one in five) of girls in the United States have worn makeup from ages 8-18 because they feel insecure without it (“From Barbies to Blush”). Sixty five percent of teens who wear makeup started wearing it from ages 8 to 13. According to Experian Simmons National Consumer Research, about half of the girls in the United States of America wear lip gloss starting at six years old (Hanes). Wearing makeup is a personal choice. Not...

Judithtgcl (United States) published:

Organ Donation

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

4

rachelsGCL (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016