All writing published for Op-ed Competition 2016. See Competition

Published writing

eric a (United States) published:

Should Video Games Be a Sport

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Video games should be considered a sport because they require the same things as a sport would. You have to use strategy to be good at any game, you also need a certain level of fitness to be able to play for so long and still be healthy, finally you need to have a certain level of reaction time.
    You need strategy to be able to be good at certain games, but most games still require a bit of...

DanielK24 (United States) published:

The First Bell

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Waking up for school, 6:15 in the morning, feeling drowsy and not wanting to get out of bed. This is what I feel like every morning before school and I am sure many agree. I am an eighth grade student at Kennett Middle school and believe the start of school should be pushed back to a later time. Starting school later would have many benefits to students and teachers. For example, it has been proven that more sleep can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

DanielK24 (United States) published:

The First Bell

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

DanielK24 (United States) published:

The First Bell

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

TimCrane.0 (United States) published:

“Kendrick Lamar: Is The People's Champion Here To Stay?”

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Many artists come and go, and there are so few who can stand the test of time and not get killed, not adjust to the new generations, or just old to listen to, but I believe that Kendrick Lamar is the artist who can stand the test of time.
First, he is known in the streets and ghettos so he can relate to people. Lamar is an artist who grew up in Compton, California. Which is a city full of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sam Danquah (United States) published:

MIND ALTERING

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Psychedelics are the most misunderstood drugs in America today, to those who lack the knowledge, and the benefits of its wonderful properties. And i use the term (medicine) because it is a natural medicine to ones mental health, spiritual development and ones self awareness. In the united states, psychedelics are categorized as a schedule 1 controlled drug which is quite absurd. I often ask myself, why such medicines are banned, while in ancient times these medicines were considered...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

natalie poh (Singapore) published:

Should Women Be Made to Undergo Military Service?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Should women be made to undergo National Service? Despite this question being raised quite some time ago, public sentiment is still rather divided and there has yet to been a change of policy regarding conscription in Singapore. However, my stand on this issue is unequivocal: No, they should not be. Instead, women for National Service should be made mandatory only for the right reasons.

One argument in the case for women in National Service is that it is unfair...

Sabitha Kiritharan (United Kingdom) published:

Judged

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Every day we judge someone, it may be sub consciously or you may even know that you are judging someone. We judge people based on many things, these could be their appearance, the way they behave or even the way they act. I'm not going to pretend that I don't judge people, I know for a fact that I judge people and I know that what I do is bad. I believe that not all type of judgement have to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Brookekessler13 (United States) published:

Mass Incarceration or Mass Discrimination?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

From a young age, we are taught to fear prisoners. We are told to despise them and even hate them. We are also told they are unworthy of our care and concern. However, I have spent the majority of this year analyzing the American prison system and have found that prisoners in the United States are worthy of compassion. I have come to learn that the prison system is not an institution for retribution, but one of mass incarceration. 2.2...

Seeking Peer Reviews

tzhenyang24 (Singapore) published:

​Should pharmaceutical drug prices be controlled?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Being crowned “the most hated man in America” is by no means an easy feat. But one man has done it. In September this year, Martin Shkreli, owner of Turing Pharmaceuticals, increased the price of the drug Daraprim by 5500%, from $13.50 a tablet to $750. He was immediately slammed online, harangued by presidential candidates and called names like “morally bankrupt sociopath”. Albeit a rather extreme case, this highlights the problems of “pharmaceutical greed”, a term Mr Shkreli has come...

Seeking Peer Reviews

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

Did you know that the average age of girls forced into the sex trade is fourteen and that Atlanta is one of biggest hubs for sex trafficking in the United States (“Hotline Statistics”)?  Every month 7,200 people in purchase a child for sex (“Atlanta’s Fight”).  I am a fourteen-year-old girl who has...

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)
    Did you know that the average age of girls forced into the sex trade is fourteen and that Atlanta is one of biggest hubs for sex trafficking in the United States (“Hotline Statistics”)?  Every month 7,200 people in purchase a child for sex (“Atlanta’s Fight”).  I am a fourteen-year-old girl who has lived in...

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

SarioGCL (United States) published:

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Atlanta Atrocities: Not Just Traffic(k)

Hannah Anderson published:

Legalization

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Why is it that alcohol, a drug that kills approximately 88,000 people a year, is legal.  Yet certain drugs like marijuana has not been the specific reason for any deaths and all it is, is a plant.  Yet is illegal.  This statement alone bothers me.  Where is the logic?  Why haven’t we fixed this yet?
    From several things I’ve researched, read, or have seen, alcohol has worse effects to the body than marijuana.  Alcohol can seriously mess with...

Zohra Ahmed (United States) published:

Just snap out of it...

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

“Just snap out of it, it’s all in your head.” Those were the last words she heard before she took the blade and ran it vertically down her arm. Blood poured heavily down to her fingertips and she became queasy. She couldn’t stop looking down at the mark that she had created on her own skin. Senseless and numb, her nausea caught up to her and she was out like a light.
“Just snap out of it, it’s all in...

Zohra Ahmed (United States) published:

Just snap out of it...

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

“Just snap out of it, it’s all in...

Thomas Foodman (United States) published:

Controlling Guns

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

It seems to be a running trend in America to stick to old traditions, long past their relevance, whether it be LGBT marriage, only made legal last year, or daylight savings time, an inconvenience which does more harm than good. One of the most major examples of this is gun rights. It is written in the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution that all people have “the right to bear arms.” However, despite this, gun violence is a serious...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mitchkdoan (United States) published:

A Far from Perfect Utopia

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

I am nothing but a mere high school student that's doing what every person has done at this age. I work in school, practice, sports, and of course do what it takes to get into a preferable college. I feel, I believe, and I know that I am the center of the world. And being so privileged makes me forget that I am not the only person in the world dealing with problems.

As we know Brussels has been attacked...

1

mitchkdoan (United States) published:

A Far from Perfect Utopia

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

mitchkdoan (United States) published:

A Far from Perfect Utopia

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

As we know Belgium has been attacked...

Grace Kirkman (United States) published:

More Money Less Problems?

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

By Grace Kirkman
    It could be said that income inequality is currently the biggest social divider in the United States of America next to racial segregation. Income inequality in American is having a devastating effect on the education of our students. According to Sean Reardon, a sociology professor from Stanford University, the achievement gap between students with income in the top ten percent versus those with income in the bottom ten percent is 30-40% wider among children born...

Seeking Peer Reviews

HarrisonGGCL (South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands) published:

Legal Help

PROMPT: Op-ed Competition 2016

Marijuana can help many illnesses and disabilities whereas other drugs might not do as good of a job. Yet, it is still fully illegal in twenty-seven states. I think marijuana should be legal for all use for three main reasons. First, marijuana can help people with cancer, chronic pains, Alzheimer’s disease, Crohn’s disease, hepatitis C, Tourette syndrome, epilepsy, and many other diseases to help them get relief. Second, marijuana is, hands down, way better and less addicting than alcohol...

Seeking Peer Reviews