All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

3

ava_grace (United States) published:

That Time in December (part 2)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

When school was let out for the day, Reina grabbed her belongings from her locker and made a beeline out of the school.  Her eyes darted about, wary of Zoe.  But she was not to be seen, so Reina made her way home.
    While the walk home from school was cold, it was short, and she didn’t mind the chill.  She trudged through the snow past a street full of shops.  It was like something out of a movie.  Old...

Seeking Peer Reviews

more MORE FOOD (United States) published:

no title yet

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

he holds the sword  in hand he is filed with courage because it fills him with courage. he cant lose, so many people have died around him, and her. He refuse to let there efforts go to waste. he takes one last swing, full force with he last of his power. He has accepted his fate and relzies that after this he is going to die because his body can not sustain any of his wounds  that were where inflicted...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Dhanyata (India) published:

Lone Warrior Chapter 1: Struggling to live (Draft 2, Edited based on the Expert Review)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

I woke up suddenly. It was dark everywhere. Had I slept so long? I was hungry. I hadn't eaten since three days! It was uncomfortably cold out here on the boulder. I clenched my fist and banged it on the rock in disappointment and anger, as tears trickled down my face. It was all because of my stepbrother! We were a happy family once, dad owned a beauty parlour, mother was a housewife, and I helped. But when I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Queenlt (United Kingdom) published:

THE MAGIC WONDERLAND by Lilian Tum

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Today is a very boring day I wake up and feel the cold burst into my veins. Shivering I force myself up because my mother is screaming her guts out calling me to get myself ready. I obey so I take my ordinary tooth brush and begin at a slow pace brushing my plain, white, shiny teeth. Then I take  a warm bubbly bath. At least the bubbles entertain me. My live has always been repetitious. I am a basic...
Seeking Peer Reviews

9

Grace2Write (Australia) published:

Lexi (Edited Version)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Twenty-five-year-old Taelyr stared out across the bay. The sun slowly dipped behind the horizon, the glinting water gradually growing dull and dark. The young man sighed, bowing his head. Oh Dad. Where are you?
    It had been just over two years now since his Dad had gone missing. Two long years. Taelyr ran his hand over his rust-red hair, once again gazing across Guichen Bay. So dark. But peaceful. Then the raging storms come, and destroy it all. Like...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Carmen1919 (United States) published:

Split

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Our world has always been divided into two, the Waters and the Dirts. The Waters use water as their sole provider, and Dirts use dirt as their sole provider. 70 years ago, a Water and a Dirt got into an altercation about who should be the leader of our kingdom. At first, it was just political but then it became physical. They decided they would utilize their particular abilities to fight, and whoever triumphed would be our leader. So they...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Carmen1919 (United States) published:

Split

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

9

Yellow Sweater (United States) published:

Sima's Hair

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

...I followed Nahama up several more sets of stairs, looking down. The apartment's floor was a mosaic of blue, green, and purple. I caught a metallic glimmer out of the corner of my eye and knelt to examine the tile I was standing on. Painted delicately in gold was a face. 

“I paint them, interesting people I see throughout the city.” He pointed to a tile on the other side of the room. I walked over. “Sometimes I can’t get...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

watermelons_words (United States) published:

The Water Village - Chapter One (edited)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

“Bay!” I shout, sprinting across the bridge to drag my little sister out of the water. “You have to run!”
    “No way! I’m staying here!” Bay cries, pulling herself onto the bridge. The sound of footsteps grows louder, and the ominous smell of cut grass fills the air. The sky grows dark rapidly, stars creeping over clouds. I can feel my breath start to come in ragged gasps.
    “Go,” I say, pushing her away from the pond. She...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

little_writer_girl (Australia) published:

Child of Fire

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

THE FIRST THING I REMEMBERED was wishing I had at least two more arms.

There was just so much to be done. Lugging firewood, making sure the stools were far enough away from the fire, positioning them to Grandma’s liking. The invisible mantle of Chieftess—Chieftess of the draping trees and twisting red dust roads—was sometimes light as Kaleveh’s ginger sand, yet often its weight was more exhausting than trying to tame the summer sea. How strange and unfair it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Child of Fire

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

SleepyNugget (United States) published:

Boys Camp, An Odd Fantasy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

{this novel contains odd uses of magic, please don't get offended, it's supposed to be a comedy of some kind-}
Prologue

Welcome to camp Fireglow! This camp is an all-culture and multi-language camp for boys and men alike to learn about other cultures and what they do for them. The camp is pretty large and has many different areas you can discover and Mr. McRae (the new camp leader) will name it after you and you get to say what...
Seeking Peer Reviews

4

alliisonhsu (United States) published:

On 5th Street

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

“Huan ying guang lin,” Welcome, the speaker on the door chirps when I it open. A sharp gust of air conditioning slams into my face, blowing through the sweaty strands of hair that had fallen out of my braid. Ever since Dad started letting me explore Taipei by myself, this store has been my go-to breakfast spot.
            The 7/11 on the corner of the street is small, but the colorful wall of drinks in the back contains too...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

alliisonhsu (United States) published:

On 5th Street

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Edem Rants (Ghana) published:

Journey to El Dorado

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

"Ship ahoy, Captain” the ship's AI screeched. Captain Esme could hear giggles among her crew. 
"I thought I told you all to stop changing Sara's voice to the pirate voice", she asked her crew.
"'But it’s so funny'' Maria, the first member of her crew, joked.
More laughter. Esme rolled her eyes. She sighed and looked at the ship on Sara's display.
This ship had potential. It was grand and there was a government emblem on it she’d recognize  anywhere....
Seeking Peer Reviews

4

SheBelievedSheCould (United States) published:

Last Human Experience

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

It'd been easy to locate her. She was small– perhaps 5'3" or 5, with a sleek yellow windbreaker that dragged across her knees. Her sneakers were sorry things; tattered laces and flapping soles, that made a funny "thwacking" sound whenever they hit the soggy grey pavement. Nevertheless, she loved them all the same, and wore them as religiously as the ill-fitting windbreaker whom no one had the heart to remark on the fact of it being much too big. 
Bobblehead....

Rumejsa Rexhaj (Canada) published:

Promised Hate

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

I hear the rats before I see them. The rats being a group of useless humans who think they can overthrow my father. The bodyguard on the front seat rushes out to stop them. Raising my pocket mirror in front of me, a wicked smile crosses my face. After that, I turn the mirror towards the back window to inspect the situation. Two men and one woman are walking towards my car as they kill each of my guards....

Simone.MaRe (United States) published:

See You Later

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Have you ever just wanted to let go and let life deal with all your problems and not care, but you can’t because you care too much. See, all of my problems all started because I care too much, I care too much about the way I look, talk, walk, or love. I wonder if anyone else has that problem, well of course they do . Life always comes with its own set of problems and everyone’s problems are always...

Simone.MaRe (United States) published:

See You Later

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Poet-Dreamer (United States) published:

Working with Space

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

The Oort cloud has no brain, so it can be paralyzed in a brain freeze but remain the same. This collection of icy things has quite a distance from the sun. Polar opposites do. If ice is ice and fire is fire, each one will want to maintain its vitality before it is extinguished—in this case, in trillions of years supposedly. On the other hand, if ice and fire are as unstable as valence electrons and protons, then they will...

Seeking Peer Reviews

rknachel3 (United States) published:

Crickets

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Chapter 8
Big Dipper

Against his back, a slab of plywood posing as a matress. Above his head, the heavy buzz of some fly, swimming through the thick August air. In his mind, sparatic jolts of the day's worst moments and the deafening, ever present sound of television static. 

"Jude." A voice, muffled by the screen door, "Let's go for a walk." 

---

The air smelled like burnt marshmallows and bug spray. The darkness was alive with a blend of...

rknachel3 (United States) published:

Crickets

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Chapter 8
Big Dipper

---

1

emilychu0920 (United States) published:

King's Vow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

Prison life vastly improved since the last time I was here. The cells were bigger, and the mattresses thicker. They even included a blanket. You’d be surprised how hard it is to keep warm in a steel cage underground. The mattress might’ve been moth-eaten, and the blanket sweaty and scratchy, but I’m not one to complain.
It wouldn’t be half as bad if someone hadn’t been trying to poison me. I’ve been imprisoned enough times to know what prison...

Seeking Peer Reviews

zephrys (Thailand) published:

nothing was left of them but wreaths of dead flowers

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

In the beginning, there were flowers, many flowers. Wreathes, sheaves, sprays. Lilies, carnations, roses.

Enid, the Sexton of the graveyard, was used to them. He was used to seeing them displayed on coffins and around the dug-up grave then taken home or left in front of headstones for the winds, and rain, and bugs.

Enid did not entirely care. He would walk, pick up, and throw them out of the graveyard anyways.

On one side of the graveyard, the graves...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Azalia (United States) published:

Welcome Home

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2021

“Welcome home! It’s a bit of a mess right now; your brother thought it would be a brilliant idea to leave his toys everywhere, but, here, let me…” She puts the bags down and quickly pushes all of the marbles, cards, and jax to the chair and sofa to deal with later. “There we are. Now, despite your brother’s protests, I did save your room for you, so you won’t be exiled to the living room.”
“You didn’t have to.” ...

Seeking Peer Reviews