All writing published for Sports Writing Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

1

WhoTalksLikeMe (United States) published:

One Day In The Dojo

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

You have to bow when you walk in. It's a small room, but our record is 28 people. The floor is smooth, scuffed by years of bare feet and Clorox. The only rough patches are the pieces of tape marking spots to stand. The blue foam covers every inch of the training area, although the trim is red. Sensei says that the mat could have been red, but it's an angry, harsh color. Blue is calming. I like the red...

Elaine Gao (United States) published:

Unprofessionalism Kills 21 in China's Deadly Mountain Race

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

After the unheard of tragedy where China’s ultramarathon claimed the lives of 21 athletes, many relatives of the runners are beginning to wonder if it was the weather or the local officials that killed their loved ones.

GANSU, China ---- Where the majestic river cuts through golden-kissed canyons and verdant hills, 172 elite runnersset off at 9 am local time at the Yellow River Stone Forest National Geopark in Gansu, this northwestern province of China. What awaited them...

6

Walker Carnathan (United States) published:

Becky Hammon: Robbed by Precedent

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

As yet another year of NBA coaching vacancies are filled, a refrain that has become hauntingly familiar in the sport quiets down once again:
    “Who is going to hire Becky Hammon?” 
    Hammon, 44, is a female assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs and has filled that role since 2014. She is just the second female assistant coach in NBA history-- there has never been a female Head Coach in any of America’s major professional sports. Operating under...

Becky Hammon: Robbed by Precedent

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

A rundown of that remarkable win from the underdogs? A feature piece on virtual coaching during the pandemic? An op-ed on why a break from sports has been (surprisingly) beneficial for many teens? This month, with the Summer Olympics rescheduled to begin in Tokyo, help us kick off our Sports Writing Competition—the field of sports writing is yours to play on. 

Guiding Ideas

Regardless of your topic, make sure to:

Focus your attention on one issue or event. ...

Becky Hammon: Robbed by Precedent

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Guiding Ideas

Regardless of your topic, make sure to:

2

writergirl79 (Ireland) published:

Sport brings back memories

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

My mum used to play Gaelic Football which is an Irish sport. She played for our county and she was amazing. When I was smaller I used to look up to her and to be honest I still do. You see my mum sadly passed away last year but we still remember her as a kind and generous woman. When I was younger my mum used to go to training and I used to come along too. I stood on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Frederick Suh (United States) published:

Unconscious Racism in the Sports World

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

"Here comes Sha'Carri... Richardson's going to Tokyo!" The commentator screamed. 

Everyone was enthralled as Sha'Carri Richardson became America's fastest woman by winning the 100-meter U.S. Olympic trials in Eugene, Oregon. The sprinter with incandescent orange hair and long, colorful fingernails secured a spot on the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Team. She was so excited to be the face of America and make her family proud as she confidently said, "I want to tell the world, I am thatgirl."...

Unconscious Racism in the Sports World

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Unconscious Racism in the Sports World

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

AOC (Australia) published:

Tennis In A Bubble

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

In a year where a health crisis reshaped the world, the professional sport of tennis also had to completely reinvent itself.
In January 2020 the Australian Open went ahead without a hint of the global pandemic that was about to sweep the globe. 
The top players were Novak Djokovic,  Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer The top female players included Ashleigh Barty and Simona Halep. Little did we know that this would be Federer’s last tournament for at least 18 months. ...

AOC (Australia) published:

Tennis In A Bubble

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

2

kate13 (United States) published:

Golf 'Tradition' is Rooted in Sexism

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

My mom was giddy with excitement as she walked hand in hand with my dad to a golf course in Chicago, Illinois on a cool September morning. Having said their vows two days prior, these eighteen holes were the first stop on their honeymoon trip. However, when they checked in at the clubhouse, the manager told them, “We don’t let women play in the mornings. You can come back in two hours, but you cannot tee off until then.” She...

Seeking Peer Reviews

i.c. (United States) published:

The Rights for Women in the 70's

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

The Rights for Women in the 70's

Girls can do any sport they want today, but they were not allowed to do sports before the 70's. Rights for women were a part of the seventies. In the seventies, a lot happened such as, everyone focused on themselves and it was a decade of change. One of the changes was that women's problems were fixed. One of the problems that were fixed was that girls could go to school and get...

1

Jeremy Kim (United States) published:

Christian Eriksen's Near-Death Experience and the Unifying Power of Sports

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Trigger Warning: Death

“You’ve got to f***ing die to get three points!” Neil Warnock, former manager of Sheffield United Football Club, once famously scolded his players. 

This idea of players being expected to give their full effort is not an unfamiliar one. But on June 12th, 2021, during the Denmark vs Finland match held in Copenhagen as part of the UEFA European Championships, Warnock’s figurative words became all too real. Christian Eriksen of Denmark went into cardiac...

1

Jeremy Kim (United States) published:

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Trigger Warning: Death

alexchen_ (United States) published:

Should he stay or should he go? Harry Kane’s dilemma with Tottenham

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Before the May 23rd soccer game, Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City, Harry Kane discussed the arrangements of his career in an interview with the overlap reporter. 
Harry Kane, Tottenham’s core player and who is dubbed by many sports fans as one of the world’s best strikers, expressed the idea of leaving Tottenham. 
Kane’s career started in 2009 with Tottenham Hotspur at just sixteen years old. Now he is the best striker for Tottenham and the captain of England’s national team....

ClarkeHu (United States) published:

Collin Morikawa

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

The British Open golf tournament is the biggest and oldest tournament in the world. Founded in 1860, it was originally held annually at Prestwick Golf Club in Scotland. Later the venue rotated between a select group of coastal links golf courses in the United Kingdom. It is organized by the R&A. The leader is Collin Morikawa. He is an incredibly famous golf player; he is currently number one on the FedEx Cup Rank and Collin Morikawa won the PGA tournament...

Seeking Peer Reviews

kels (United States) published:

Women In Sports: Putting the "No" in Gender Norms

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Do women belong in the world of sports? Of course. However, people still have their doubts. Recently, during March Madness, it was shown that the men’s basketball teams had equipment that the women’s teams did not have access to. The women’s basketball teams were given a few yoga mats and a rack of weights. Was that enough? Of course not. These players had to use social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok to get what they deserved, that just...

kels (United States) published:

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Do women belong in the world of sports? Of course. However, people still have their doubts. Recently, during March Madness, it was shown that the men’s basketball teams had equipment that the women’s teams did not have access to. The women’s basketball teams were given a few yoga mats and a rack of weights. Was that enough? Of course not. These players had to use social media to get what they deserved, that just being a simple weight room. This...

2

Sophia Yunwha (United Kingdom) published:

Ricciardo- R for Redemption

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Each year the streets of Monte Carlo are cleared to host one of the most iconic races in history; the Monaco Grand Prix.  Every driver dreams of the day they can stand on the podium at Monaco, attaining part of the Triple Crown of Motorsport achievement. Nothing compares to Monaco. The history. The crowds. The glamour. The determination and skill required to win. The journalist Medland sums up the hype and prestige of the race with the simple line “more than just Formula 1 fans watch Monaco because it is...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Ricciardo- R for Redemption

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

JohnL (United States) published:

What are the Olympic games without fans in attendance?

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

The Olympics are the best, most exhilarating sporting event there is. This event has the best athletes representing countries from all over the world participating in a ton of different sports. The energy from the patriotic fans cheering for their country is unparalleled in any other sporting event there is. The spectators provide an extra boost while cheering on their favorite athlete and sometimes that is the difference between getting on the podium or not. But what is an Olympic...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Sophia Arellano (Canada) published:

You Can Fly Even Higher

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Reach for the moon, and you’ll fall among the stars. That’s the inspiring mindset of Sarah Ramirez, a 16 year old who recently competed with her high school volleyball team at the spring 2021 TCDSB Intermediate Girl’s Quarter-Finals. Despite the team losing the qualifying match for the finals, Ramirez’s eyes shone bright with glee, with euphoria, with every possible warm and fuzzy feeling in her shining world -- all because she had taken a chance, and gotten so far.

Did...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Sophia Arellano (Canada) published:

You Can Fly Even Higher

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Did...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AaronZ (United States) published:

The 2021 Olympic Spectator Crisis

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

The Olympics is a semi-annual event that is known globally. It is a great joy to see a competitor win. Trained athletes will compete. Athletes spend years perfecting their craft; long hours away from family and friends in the pursuit of athletic greatness. From skiing to swimming to skating, the Olympics is known worldwide for its competitive and diverse nature.
As we all know, the 2020 Olympics were put to a halt due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The games have...

Seeking Peer Reviews