All writing published for Science Fiction Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

tenchou (United States) published:

Five

PROMPT: Science Fiction Competition 2021

The sullen, faded sun — too ugly to be yellow and too discolored to be ivory — rose over uniform skies as the Eminence Grise watched from behind equally grey walls. The somber morning in Sector Four was reluctant, buildings sagging into their foundations and Class Fours hunched under the overcast like yoked oxen.

What a wonderful day to be alive, thought the Eminence Grise as it turned its body to Sector Zero and observed through tinted windows as...

22 minutes ago

tenchou (United States) published:

Five

23 minutes ago

GoldenPengiuns (United States) published:

Terminal Trust (review for review)

When Tamiya receives a government-issued personal time machine in a package dated three months in the future, she wonders if her future self has picked up a penchant for crime.
    The dried blood chipping off it is condemning evidence. As much as the idea makes her stomach churn, it’s plausible. Tamiya has dug through enough news articles to know why time machines are classified as weapons; why average civilians are only allowed to send mail through time, not travel themselves....

Seeking Peer Reviews

26 minutes ago

1

Luka I Erei (Singapore) published:

Orbs of Dust and Dirt

"This is underwhelming," I muttered, gazing at that pale yellowish-brown ball of what was probably some carbon-based dirt trudging along its banal orbit around another typical star. Another disappointment. And so perfectly in the star's habitable zone. What a waste. Taylor had had high hopes for this one.

"Well?" I turned towards Taylor. "Ready to get in that stupid space suit and collect some stupid samples?"

Taylor shot me a dirty look. "Just go and dress...

Seeking Peer Reviews

31 minutes ago

Sophiascb (United States) published:

Luck of the Draw

"And the contest winner is..."
"Sydney Sallon!"

My heels click on the gilded and shimmering ballroom floors. Baroque wallpaper climbs all the way to the vaulted ceilings. This all has me drunk; the newfound fame, the French welcome, and this boy on my arm- the winner from Spain, José. My hair is twisted elegantly on the crown of my head and my ballgown is the color of bluejays in the morning. 
    There are cameras, everywhere, and wild, flashing lights. ...

about 1 hour ago

JanesaP (Australia) published:

Living in the Past

I am not meant to be here. I am not meant to be here. Why am I here?

As the thunder roars and the rain falls, I find myself running into the woods. Faster, faster. My mind is racing ahead of me as my legs struggle to keep up. Salt stains the tip of my tongue and I wonder whether that was the rain or tears. I need to find her. Spots of moonlight guide my path as I dash...

about 1 hour ago

JanesaP (Australia) published:

Living in the Past

about 1 hour ago

Kieronnn (Singapore) published:

Robot takeover

My Sci-Fi story
Robot take over
Have you ever wondered what it’s like for robots to take over you? Have you ever wondered what it's like to go on a seemingly dangerous adventure where dying is even possible? Well in this story you shall go on an adventure with me as me and my team fight for humanity. It all started like this……
The year was 3190. Technology was everywhere. There were robots who cleaned our windows, there were robots...

about 2 hours ago

2

reese_1344 (Singapore) published:

The Strike

The Lightning

16 years ago, scientists and meteoroligists sent weather drones up into the clouds, to collects data and make it easier to predict weather. But they malfunctioned. The pressure was too much for them, and they broke, releasing several chemicals and battery acid into the atmosphere. This had a chemical reaction with some of the moisture in the clouds, causing them to turn a greenish-blueish color, and making the lightning strike at a much higher voltage. 17 years ago,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 2 hours ago

1

A Certain Type of Decisive (United States) published:

Qwerty

"Hello, world."
    I read the words, and you laughed. Your smile-- it is the very first memory in my bank, the very first thing I ever stored. Your laugh was small, registering low on my sensors-- but your smile held a long time after it ended. A small light lit up within me and it said: "this is good. This and things similar to this is what you should work to replicate." I laughed back, wanting to join...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 3 hours ago

reese_1344 (Singapore) published:

The Strike

about 4 hours ago

Roebr.wn (United States) published:

A Boy Called Augustus

A Boy Called Augustus

Augustus was a young boy of eight years old. He loved his empire and his family above all else. He wore his uniform proudly. As looked over himself thoroughly in the mirror, he straightened his black neckerchief, pressed out any wrinkles or creases on his red shirt and black shorts, and straightened his knife. He was very proud of his knife. It had earned him the red breasted eagle that he bore proudly on his chest....
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

Roebr.wn (United States) published:

A Boy Called Augustus

A Boy Called Augustus

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

1

The_Sunrise_Queen (United States) published:

The Land of Cracked Earth

It's funny how a near-death experience can change one's perspective on so many things. 
    The sun is hot on my face as I hurtle down the cliff, my elbows scraping against the loose dirt and rocks, my everything sweating from the extreme effort it takes to keep myself from blacking out. Around me, all I can see is an avanlanche of dirt preparing for a crash-landing on the dry, cracked desert floor below. A cloud of dust has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

2

BillyJoeBobTheThird (Canada) published:

The AlphaNet

IBM Watson AI Lab, Cambridge, Massachusetts
3:14 am

Bleary-eyed, Mark Purnell sipped on some bitter coffee as he sat, slouching as he furiously typed on his computer, muttering under his breath. He was wearing short pants and a shirt which read "I ♥︎ IBM", despite the fact that it was still technically spring. He blinked, stood up, and refilled his mug at the coffee maker, yawning, and drowned the whole cup. He should be familiar with the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 5 hours ago

1

24calfonso (United States) published:

Emancipation

Emancipation

***

Natural light streams through the window, waking me, and I repeat the words that I have repeated for the past six years and nineteen days: My name is Marguerite and I am the last human
    The first time I thought them I could barely believe it. The last human. I’d since adopted the title as my own, the first thought of every morning.
    In the mirror, my brown skin, once as smooth as glossy wood, is now...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

Can't Catch Me (Australia) published:

Flower (verb)

It’s dark outside, they’ve turned off the artificial lights to keep everyone’s body clocks healthily ticking. You’ve had to sneak away out of your shared dormitory quarters and borrow one of the patrolman’s ID cards to get in here. And here you are. The massive greenhouse, under a high domed ceiling supported by great curving beams encrusted with bright white lights to simulate a natural environment for plants in the most hostile of environments. The lights are on a timer...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 6 hours ago

evolz90 (United States) published:

Lost in a Bubble

I look down as my Bright-Watch quietly beeps. I freeze, hoping Elianna didn’t hear it. The small screen dimly lights up, notifying me of a message from our Mother. I quickly conceal the screen with my right hand, glancing over at Elianna. To my luck, she is too distracted by everything going on around us. The rain beating down on the plastic bubble overhead, the surveillance drones scanning every little movement on the ground, and I even see her staring...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 7 hours ago

Yellow Sweater (United States) published:

Narnia

Have you ever read Narnia?” Alma asked, her gold irises glimmering sullenly under the ambient lighting. Alma was already intelligent, intimidatingly so, the contacts just focused that intelligence, distilled it. We were sprawled on the floor of her spaceship playing chess. “Checkmate.” I shook my head, grimacing over the board as I tried to find where I’d gone wrong. The chessboard was wooden, an antique. It stood out, warm and holy, against the burnished grey of the spaceship floor. 

“I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 7 hours ago

A Random Person (United States) published:

A New Rocket

"One more step, and I am done with the fastest rocket that has ever existed on Earth and Mars! Alright, all I’ve got to do is to insert the screw and twist it tight, almost there, oh no! There are sparks that are most likely going to start a fire and ruin the whole project, the fire is getting out of control and the mission failed, again, for the 124th time…" 
Chuck woke up with a terrible nightmare. He has...

about 10 hours ago

.Blue-eyed. (United Kingdom) published:

Drone Deliveries

I lean against the dark alley, feeling the cold brick against my back. My eyes are fixed on a drone above me as I load my catapult with a small piece of rubble in my pocket. I exchange a glace with my twin sister, Emma who clutched a large grey cushion in her arms. Despite her wearing a mask, making it impossible to read most of her face I still see her blue eyes gleam in excitment in the darkness...

about 10 hours ago

PokeyTay (United States) published:

The Star Chasers

The empty void of space always looks beautiful when you’re first waking up. The small, circular window in my room provides a fairly nice view of the planets. Sometimes I forget where I am, and the blackness outside of my window sends me into a panic. This morning is definitely one of those times. 
    My window is facing the sun, so when the gentle rays of light shine into my room, I think for a second that I’m back on...

about 10 hours ago

2

24calfonso (United States) published:

Emancipation

Emancipation

***

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 10 hours ago

2

Molly_ (United Kingdom) published:

Last Tuesday

When Armageddon inevitably reared its overwhelmingly final head, it was a Tuesday.

To the ordinary folk, Tuesday mornings are typically characterised by Joggers, and this Tuesday morning was no different. Like clockwork with compulsion issues, Joggers were jogging, and the Non-Joggers were clutching mugs of tea like non-jogging, judgemental velociraptors deep in the cess-pit of non-jogging living rooms, with their non-jogging clothes strewn about their non-jogging floors. 
Imagine a grey, drizzling Tuesday with a heavy scent of metal that bulldozed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 12 hours ago

SpencerReidSimp (United Kingdom) published:

HellRealm

"Wow. This looks amazing!" Astrid exclaimed, shaking Quinn by the shoulders. "You think everything looks amazing bruh" Quinn sarcastically remarked. "Carter? You're quiet. You scared already ahaha". 

Today was the opening day of the brand new theme park HellRealm! It had been under construction for years, Carter had heard that people went missing while it was being built. He assumed this was just subtle advertising and nothing more. Looking up, a huge arch loomed over him, welcoming him to this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 13 hours ago