All writing published for Science Fiction Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

4

Yellow Sweater (United States) published:

Narnia

PROMPT: Science Fiction Competition 2021

“Have you ever read Narnia?” Alma asked, her gold irises glimmering sullenly under the ambient lighting. Alma was already intelligent, intimidatingly so, the contacts just focused that intelligence, distilled it. We were sprawled on the floor of her spaceship playing chess. “Checkmate.” I shook my head, grimacing over the board as I tried to find where I’d gone wrong. The chessboard was wooden, an antique. It stood out, warm and holy, against the burnished grey of the spaceship floor. 

“I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

HighEntropy (India) published:

21 Seconds

Sunsets and sunrises are getting dimmer every day. 
I fear Aisha would never know what they look like, so I paint them for her every weekend. I could click a picture, but I want it to be more personal, I guess. The hospitals are so expensive nowadays; breathing seems like a rich man’s game. With every inhale sulfur dioxide enters our bodies, who knows if I’ll survive till Aisha’s all grown up to appreciate the beauty of sunsets, or even look at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Leah_H (United States) published:

A.I. Writer Story (Sci-Fi Comp)

I used to write on that bench between the woods and my apartment complex. It was fine decades ago, when I could place a pen to paper and wait until the words spilled out of my fingers in ilegible ribbons of blue. Always blue. Fluid, flowing blue. Then the breeze would embrace my sun-kissed face as I melted into another world, fiction burying me like sand being carried over my body by waves on the beach.
   ...

1

The Ravenclaw Dragon (United States) published:

Mach1ne | A-Review-For-A-Review

"Good luck," Coddington said, winking at me.
    "You too," I said. 
    The judges for our science fair rounded the corner and came to our row. But before our turns was my personal nemesis's. She smirked at me before turning to the judges. 
    "Name," one of the judges said.
    "Radaka Smoth," she said, not intimated.
    "Explain," another judge said.
    "This is my 'Oil'er," she said, pointing to her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Hope_Snaffle [ChildOfGod] (United States) published:

Only Light

I paused just outside the looming building, taking a deep breath. Stick to the plan. Get Alexandria's Light and get out of there. Quick. Efficient. I breathed again. In and out.
    "Welcome back, Vell," Dok, the front desk robot, greeted as I entered the facility. 
    I nodded out of habit, but forced myself to continue moving, briskly walking by and towards a heavy steel door. A red electronic sign labeled "EMPLOYEES ONLY" greeted me, and I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kay_Vonne (United States) published:

Nyctophilia

Everyone has their fears. Fear of dogs, cats, falling; the list goes on. Now, we live in a world where you can control and use your fear. Your fear is a superpower, or it could be a curse, up to you. 
    In 2021 everything shut down. Factories and all that jazz just stopped working. Those factories released toxic air that attacked our brains; which caused us to form our fears into "superpowers". It did end up killing a lot of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Kay_Vonne (United States) published:

Nyctophilia

Seeking Peer Reviews

8
2

Frieda (Australia) published:

The Mirrored Worlds

One
Sanaru

“This way’s quicker.” We can get back before dark.” Char says. We turn down an alley. The walls are covered in graffiti.
Then from behind us comes a noise. I look and see a man with tattoos all over his body. The man has four messy braids and a black cloak. Out of nowhere comes a voice. 
“Agustera.” The man’s hand starts to glow a faint blue, and a symbol appears in the middle of the hand. 
Suddenly,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

8
2

Frieda (Australia) published:

The Mirrored Worlds

One
Sanaru

Suddenly,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

9

ghostybois (United States) published:

The Time Jump Project

Levi had thought the world would end with a little more flair. All that talk about fire or ice consuming the world in one fell swoop had prepared him to witness a great spectacle before he died. What was happening now was just… boring.
    It had started before Levi was born, before he was even a thought. His ancestors had burned more fossil fuels than the world could handle, and now Levi’s generation was left to scramble to...

1

Kay_Vonne (United States) published:

Nyctophilia

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

astrea published:

Dreamt

Ness:

The bugs are making that weird chirping noise, irritating me. I wish Creme cookies would not have a facility in surrounded by hills except Jared and I suspect it is not one. This story better be worth the day-long trek I made. I glance at Jared who is looking at the facility through binoculars.

"What do you see?" I ask.

"A man.", Jared replies, smirking.

"It would help if you could be a little more specific!",I retort.

"A man...

Seeking Peer Reviews

11
1

Narnia

The taproom was full of murmurs. No one was speaking very loudly, but a room full of whispers is still a full room. The soft voices pulled relentlessly at the tattered edges of the silence, unraveling it. It was nice to be around those of less than solid moral grounding. It was reassuring to realize that I was not the only one drinking to forget the moral laws that are a condition of consciousness. I sighed dramatically, caught up in...

3

Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod] (United States) published:

Stasis: The Girl I've Been is Dead

The last thing I remember was red. Beautiful, blossoming, crimson-coated reality. And screaming. Like knives on steel, but with a human note. That sound still haunts me to this day, mocking me. And there was a voice. I don't know if we can save her. Then the world slipped out from underneath me, and I surrendered to the dark.
    The blackness lasted for ages, suffocating blankets that pressed down. I was between consciousness and death,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Sofia_Yeehaw (United States) published:

The Final Chess Match

She jerked awake violently, causing her hand to knock the chess pieces from the table as the drone of her alarm signaled the start of the last match of the Vega National Chess Championship.

The silver chessboard glinted in the sunlight coming through the windows of the Commander Skyscraper in which the championship was held. As Katherine Ashby began to put away her pieces, she noticed her shabby little box, a barely functioning Hologram, had continued projecting Pioneer propaganda during...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Melissa. (United States) published:

Operation void

The rain poured heavy that night. A couple of drunken teens were approaching me from behind.

"Hey look it's one of them" someone shouted.  

"I wonder if she's waterproof" one jeered before shoving me to the pavement.   
They staggered through the dark, their laughter and slurs left to linger in my mind as i sat drenched with water.

And i wondered- if i were capable of tears was this a moment they'd come trickling down...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Melissa. (United States) published:

Operation void

Seeking Peer Reviews

Gabriel Lester (United Kingdom) published:

The years to come

“In the years to follow the 21st century, there were many great wars.
However, it wasn’t until the 30 year war that ended in 2199 that all of us in this room experienced the full effects of death and disaster. China had finally come out of its industrial period and the world needed a new source of cheap labour. The world needed something to come easily that was separate from the actions of destruction or poverty. With no alternative, the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

milkandhoneylattes (United States) published:

The Fountain

The word that came to Nina's mind was cold, but she felt that would be an understatement. 
    The fountain was large, a rectangle lined with marble walls and filled with crystal-clear water- water so clear you'd think it was artificial. And, in fact--
    It was. 
    It was water to some extent, of course, but it was laced with a specially designed serum designed to kill a disease that had raged in the human...

1

Caitlyn_McMunn (Canada) published:

Millie and the Beast

The heat of the day, paired with the weight of her sister on her shoulders, tugged at Millie’s constitution. Each step felt like a burning nail in her foot. Looking up at the long stretch of pavement, flanked by crumbling buildings, Millie drew in a deep breath. She squeezed the ankle of her younger sister, and lowered herself to the ground. Jill slid off of her back wordlessly. In the distance, a large melted statue oversaw them all.
    “Are those...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kanra (Canada) published:

Velo

Inanis — a once powerful nation founded from the ashes of the U.S.A, once demanding fear and respect out of its adversaries, was now on the verge of collapse from constant warfare against the other allying states. Citizen morale was at an all-time-low, and to save it, a miracle was required. And indeed was it birthed, by none other than one Seprico Burroughs. 
                             ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Kanra (Canada) published:

Velo

...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Adwik (United States) published:

The Unfinished Universe: Leo

Thud! Crack! Crack!

After a tough fight against muggers, I arrived under the protection of weathered boulders, that would create a great place for a secure camp, to protect myself from the malicious individuals that were hunting me, in this universe.

“That was some serious fighting, back there.” Slick spoke, abruptly, while dropping onto the ground, displacing a few stones, nearby. “Where did you get the experience, from?”
“Years of study and training.” I responded. “I earned my experience from there.”
“Hm.” Slick said as he began to examine his laser pistol. “You know, I was thinking something...what will you do once you find the target? Will you kill him or will you arrest him?”
“It would depend on the target’s actions.” I said. “If he is not hostile, then I will arrest him and if he is hostile...I don't know what I will do.”

I continued contemplating about my previous thoughts. I acted as I normally did, however, I did not feel as I normally did.

“Why are you here, Anderton?” I questioned. “What are you doing, in Inidrab? Who are you?”

The fire cracked through the silence of the conversation. Slick did not reply to my questions,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kanra (Canada) published:

Velo

#
    For the first time in ages, Seprico raised his voice to rebel against the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Kanra (Canada) published:

Velo

#
Seeking Peer Reviews