This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Once Upon a Time

Full Details

“Once upon a time there was a dear little girl who was loved by everyone who looked at her, but most of all by her grandmother, and there was nothing that she would not have given to the child. Once she gave her a little cap of red velvet, which suited her so well that she would never wear anything else. So she was always called Little Red Riding Hood.”

So begins the Brothers Grimm version of the classic fairy tale called “Little Red Riding Hood”. The German Brothers Grimm wrote hundreds of fairy tales, including “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves”, “Rumpelstiltskin”, and “Hansel and Gretel”. Fairytales have been told to children all over the world for hundreds of years. In Japan, there’s a classic story called “Momotaro” which is about a little boy who was born from a peach. In South Africa, there is a fairy tale called “The Two Brothers”, about two brothers who find a little woman in a pot.

Aside from including magic or fantastical elements, such as talking animals, magic spells, and fairies, most fairy tales or fables communicate a poignant lesson. Their aim is not just to entertain children, but to teach them.

Think of the stories you were told as a child. Which ones were you most captivated by? Why?

Here is the challenge: write a fairy tale or fable of your own that carries a lesson or message you think children today need to hear. How might you build a story around this message that captivates and intrigues the small people of 2021? 

[This prompt was designed by Community Ambassador Avril.]