All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

2

ImnFlitch (Philippines) published:

Why Gastronomy is More than a Necessity or Art Form

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

No one in my family originally wanted to look at gastronomy as more than a necessity or an art form. Yet, when my sister cooked panara (a triangular lumpia/spring roll dish), suddenly everyone was in or near the kitchen. My mother – who typically cooked for the family – assisted my sister in her cooking. My father drove in and out of the local market, providing the ingredients for her. Meanwhile, my brother and I looked inquisitively at the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

jazzygiselle (United States) published:

Apple Pie, Together

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

I pop a thinly sliced bit of apple into my mouth and feel the squirts of juice touch my taste buds and fill my mouth with a gorgeous sensation- the apple was so sour I nearly grimaced but just sweet enough that I instead smiled. As my hands ran over the rough, bare back of the skinned apples, I thought back to the day before. 

These apples weren't just the apples you bought at a local...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Karla Vasquez (United States) published:

Panettone

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

A chunk of spongy bread with candied fruits dipped inside my mug. The Abuela hot chocolate immediately soaked it all up. It was Christmas Eve, and while cousins, aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas, sisters and brothers, and other family and friends were gathering together all around town, it was just me and my family of four— Pa, Ma, and little bro. There were no specially made tamales nor mashed potatoes. It was just my family of four and panettone. 
...

4
1

Ava Marie (Canada) published:

Vanilla Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies; A Share Batch (Please Read and Give Me Feedback)

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Ingredients: 
3 cups butter
2 cups powdered sugar
5 1/4 cups flour
3 tsp. pure vanilla extract (or if you're like me, 3 capfuls)
9-10 Earl Grey tea bags (with double bergamot for a stronger flavours)
*Makes 84 cookies*

Butter; a substance slippery to the touch. Great on toast, scones, pancakes, potatoes, and broccoli, or simply by the finger scoop if you are a child under the age of eight. Butter is used in baking to help increase the flavour...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

abri.05 (United States) published:

The True Love of My Life

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Having divorced parents appears to always be a bad thing when growing up but when I was seven years old it was the complete opposite, when it came to food. There was always the double of many things when it came to divorced parents, double birthday parties, double gifts, double the trips to parks, double the trips to the movie theaters, and many other fun places we would go to, but the most important of all was double the food...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

abri.05 (United States) published:

The True Love of My Life

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alessandra Tan (United States) published:

The Delicacies That Shaped Me

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

In the Philippines, balut is a delicious, mouth-watering, and savory delicacy.  The appearance may not look too appealing, but the taste is unforgettable.  Growing up in Manila, I always looked forward to coming home from school because my dad would always buy me a balut.  I remember feeling so happy when I saw him carrying a plastic bag since I knew what it contained.  To open it correctly, you must place it on a table to see which side...

1

Sungmin304 (United States) published:

The Warmth of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

"So, why don't eggs tell jokes? They'd crack each other up."
    The dinner table harmoniously filled with laughter as my dad finished his joke. Admittedly, this was the epitome of a so-called “dad joke.” It was corny and painfully awful, but nonetheless, I felt inclined to join the smiling faces of my family. Perhaps, it was the warming presence in the room–which seemed to emulsify itself from the resonating warmth of the delicately prepared traditional Korean entreés and accommodating side...

3

Megan Pitt (United States) published:

I Never Used To Throw Away My French Fries

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

I never used to throw away my french fries.
Victorious used to play all day long on Nickelodeon. If I were lucky enough to escape the responsibilities of school and life for an hour, I could watch 2 episodes in one sitting. I was a slave to the television; I worshipped at the altar of the newest Sony model. In the hit kids show, Tori’s older sister was constantly referred to as “the fat one”. Any soul with a basic...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Megan Pitt (United States) published:

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Musica (United States) published:

The Story of a City as Told by its Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

To discover the story of Macau, simply look within the layers and ingredients of its cuisine. Its food tells of its heritage.

You may be surprised to know that while Macau is a Chinese city, it has a rich share of Portuguese heritage as well. Today, Macau is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China, just one hour away from its sister SAR of Hong Kong, and it’s often known as the Las Vegas of the East. But if you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sukone@12 (Korea, Republic of) published:

Food Driver

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

FooCovid-19 has unleashed changes on nearly every part of society, including the world of food. More people are cooking at home, growing their own food, and finding creative solutions to cupboards full of canned goods. Meanwhile, the pandemic has gutted...

Food Driver

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

1

Food Driver

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Food Driver

I used to eat fresh food, every day, made by my parents. We’d sometimes dine out for special occasions, but most of the time food was prepared at home. When the pandemic started, everything changed. My parents couldn’t...

1

Annika Kim (Korea, Republic of) published:

Eating disorders arise as the pandemic spreads worldwide

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

According to the US-based National Eating Disorders Association, 2020 saw a stunning 41% increase in requests online for help. Although Covid seems on the surface unrelated to eating disorders (ED), the pandemic appears to have sparked a sharp increase in the number of eating disorder patients. But why? 
    The most important policy undertaken by many national governments during the first spread of Covid was almost absolute "lockdown." This policy made people stay...

1

Vici B (Canada) published:

Peeking Duck: A Time in Toronto

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

5:03 AM, August 14th, 2015. I spent the bulk of that morning tied between checking my digital-watch and making trips to and from the washroom. 5:03 I thought. I had exactly two minutes to extinguish the fires in my stomach and drag myself out the door. Sunlight stung my eyes as I staggered my way to the van. Noticing my sisters piercing stare, I straightened my spine and lifted my luggage into the trunk. 5:06 We were officially late.  
Through the trails of intense gastric pains which plagued me that day, I still manage to recall the charming aroma of early-morning Canada. It carried a softer- more floral scent, in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

SavannahB (United States) published:

Exodus, Freedom, and Matzo Ball Soup

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Why is this meal different from all other meals? We ask ourselves this every year at Passover, and every year the answer is different.  
Passover is a Jewish holiday that remembers the Jews’ exodus from slavery in Egypt. It is an extremely important holiday. I often describe its significance as the “Christmas of Judaism” to uninitiated friends. Typically, Jewish families gather around a table for a Seder. Seder literally translates as “order,” referring to the specific order of readings, prayers,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Sophia Hall (United States) published:

A Skeleton Exposed

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

If I crawled inside the f-holes of my spruce violin, the inside would be an exact replica of my babushka’s studio apartment. The smell of wax and resin. Sunlight illuminating thin particles drifting in the air. Church candles honoring my dead grandfather with their flickering flame. She always told me I had his nose, and to be proud.
    Her room is small and lived in. The toilet stands adjacent to the stove, which ticks into flame. The living room is...

5

Sophia Hall (United States) published:

A Skeleton Exposed

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

2

Net_02 (Canada) published:

The Power of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Dear Diary,
March 13, 2020. That was my last day of normal. Last day of going to school with no mask. Last day of hanging out with my friends at school. Last day of my school sports teams.  
I woke up to the warm smell of eggs sizzling on the pan. I quickly got out of bed, put on my fuzzy cat slippers, and ran down the stairs in excitement for my first day of high school. “Oh you’re up...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

XixiS (United States) published:

Food for Life

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

The past year has been a difficult adjustment for everyone, especially with the virus preventing people from traveling. However, all the time spent indoors has created more experiences in the kitchen. For those who already knew how to cook, the pandemic has helped them improve their skills and knowledge about all the different types of food around the world. For those who were new to cooking, it helped both adults and even children step into the kitchen and experience the...

3

Sadiez (United Kingdom) published:

A burger and the best view in the city.

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

The growl, the grumble, the rumble had started again, had set in a few days ago, now the vacuum hung just above my head rather low. I kept so focused on the scenery, the blurring green bushes blending with the granny grey road, some abstract oil muse. My inter conflict seemed to shake me more than the judder of the tires falling into potholes or the engines slight quiver.

I’ve felt the existential fear of believing my world is going...

1

theprotypers (United States) published:

Excluding Foods

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

You probably know people that refrain from eating certain foods. Maybe they don’t eat meat, or maybe they don’t eat fish. Whatever the case, around the world, many people sometimes don’t eat certain foods. What foods those people eat and don’t eat can vary based on their religion or their beliefs. Today, I will attempt to explain to you some of those beliefs and some of the groups of people that eat certain foods.

The first and one of...

1

theprotypers (United States) published:

Excluding Foods

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

The first and one of...

4

ZCrazychick! (Canada) published:

What a Daal

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

The tantalizing smell of caramelized onions, the Tumeric with its bitter mustard-like smell, and the sharp floral note of fried spices filled the kitchen as the tadak was getting prepared. My mom was making masoor daal, a lentil curry using pulses of yellow lentils. The spices and other foods that give the daal its flavour are fried; this is called tadak, while she boiled the lentils. Daal is a classic dish that everyone from India and Pakistan eats, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews