All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

1

Hitasha (India) published:

The definition of beauty

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

1

Hitasha (India) published:

The definition of beauty

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

4

Nyla (Canada) published:

The Need for Diversity in Journalism

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

“Not everyone thinks the way you think, knows the things you know, believes the things you believe, nor acts the way you would act.” -Arthur Forman

Although born in the 1800s, the famous English schoolmaster and cricketer’s words still hold up today. Everyone is different. But we aren’t using that to our advantage, and that’s where the problem lies.

In my spare time, I write articles on current issues for a non-profit. I started about a month ago and recently...

Seeking Peer Reviews

15
3

Yellow Sweater (United States) published:

On American Values

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

One of my grandma's first memories is of huddling under a bomb shelter in London during the Blitz. Surprisingly, it wasn't a traumatic experience. Being an innocent, bright-eyed, three-year-old caught up in the horrors of humanity’s mechanized abstractions, she garnered a lot of sympathy. When the loud noises started, the adults would give her candy, sing her songs, tell her stories. It’s amazing how under the right circumstances bombs can become associated with bon-bons.

I don’t mean to trivialize the...

2
1

Campbell Macy (United States) published:

Discrimination Against High School Arts Programs

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Lately, it seems as if every part of my life has been touched by Covid-19, yet some of it remains the same. This weekend, I played in a volleyball qualifier with 150 teams. We might’ve all had to mask up, but the deja vu was unmistakable. I made my way through the 30 hastily-put-together courts, yelled to be heard over all of the players, and cheered every time my team got a point. 
    Throughout all history, from World Wars...

1

Meenakshi Edala (United States) published:

College: An Inferno

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

It hits me. Amongst the many things running through my mind I grab onto one thought: college, a controversial idea that unsettles most. The idea that college is beneficial has been shoved into my brain for years, but is this really true? Are the years of financial stress and health problems worth a degree with no guarantee of a successful future? 
According to the University of Florida’s Counseling & Wellness Center, “The competition for grades, the need to perform,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

TerenNeret (Malaysia) published:

97%

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

97% of young women in the UK have been sexually harassed. Even though this figure is incredibly high, if you are a young woman walking the streets of England, you wouldn't be surprised. Every girl has been taught to keep to the main roads as if the glowing street lamps would keep an eye on us when the world won't, mutate your hand into claws of golden and silver keys as if you were predator not prey, keep your phone...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

The Poetic Youth (United Kingdom) published:

Modern Equality

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

God made all people equal. Why does man think it his place to mar this?

We live in a world which ironically believes itself to be a place of fairness. 100 years on from women gaining their inherent right to vote in a democracy, 75 years on from the harrowing events of the Second World War, and 50 years on from the Civil Rights Movement, we believe ourselves to be living at the epitome of fairness.
Right?
One could not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Claire Ang (8X) (Singapore) published:

The ballad of Rum the dog.

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

A dog wandered into our garden one day,
A friendly old dog, that didn’t look like a stray,
We didn’t discover when he had to come,
But we brushed him and fed him, we  called him rum,
Now as family members, even dogs must work hard,
So we put rum on duty next door in our yard,
Bright eyed and watchful by night and day,
But not much of a guard dog,i’m sorry to say
He barked at the cats...

3

David2003 (United States) published:

Problems with the current educational model and how an ancient philosopher can help us fix it.

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

For many years now, our elementary and secondary educational model has suffered well-deserved criticism for constantly failing to prepare individuals for the real world, creating and promoting disparities between individuals, proselytizing the inequities in society. These issues are not new failures but simply symptoms of an outdated system. Once a great model, prime of its time, producing, in large numbers and with great skill, a supply of labour for the factories and of people equipped to tackle life in the...

1

kmeezan (United States) published:

Hoping for Optimism: a reflection on how the past year has affected my outlook on life

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Almost exactly a year ago, on March, 13th, 2020, my school sent out a notice informing us that we would be taking an early, extended spring break due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It is still strange to me that something I had hardly heard of a week earlier could dramatically change my life so quickly; that at a track meet the past Saturday I had declared to my friends that this strange new virus from China was probably no big...

Seeking Peer Reviews

divistical (United States) published:

Write The World: OP-ED Draft 1

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Racism is prevalent everywhere across the world, and people usually fail to recognize how serious it is. The education system is the public system that teaches children what they need to learn to prepare them for life. However, the education system misses out on teaching them about taxes, health, and experience of the real-world. Most importantly, they miss out on teaching children that everyone is human. The education system fails to prepare people for any of these topics,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

milkandhoneylattes (United States) published:

You're A Wizard, Harry

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

When I was kid, I used to watch movies and wonder: Wow, I wonder how they set up all these cameras to document these people's lives or I can't believe someone can do something like that! I wish I could do that. I refused to believe that actors were just that- actors. I couldn't believe that the story a movie told wasn't real, and that there was no such thing as magic or superpowers. But, eventually,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Ashtyn Arthur (United States) published:

Period Poverty: A Public Health Crisis

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

It is no secret that women are gifted with the creation of life. Even before the term “feminism” was strewn across picket signs and posters, women have always been recognized for the strong contribution they have to society and the population as a whole. However, despite the fascination that accompanies a woman’s ability to reproduce, the natural processes that allow her to maintain this ability are often looked down upon, condemned. Menstruation. It is not a social taboo or...

Period Poverty: A Public Health Crisis

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

1

K_Dilworth (United States) published:

The Risks of Going Back to School Too Early

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Something utterly bizarre and unexpected happened to me this last year —I began missing school and wishing I could go back. I had hated the monotony of school and took it for granted, but now I would give almost anything to go back to the monotony. Almost. The one thing I won’t, and we can’t, risk is peoples’ lives.
With some school districts starting to go back to in person schooling, the question on everyones’ minds is whether or not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ria Bhatnagar (India) published:

do you feel beautiful?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Would you teach your child that it is acceptable for a man to force himself on a sleeping woman? You may be thinking “never” – unless, of course, you already have when you read him or her the tale of Sleeping Beauty. The classic fairy tale of a princess cursed to sleep by an evil fairy, until rescued by her handsome prince. But, rather than the enraptured embrace and true love's kiss we seem to remember, well, he rapes her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Lady Readsalot (United States) published:

We Need Ethnic Studies Classes and We Need Them Done Right

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

​    The bias and ignorance the world is governed by has seeped into every part of daily life, and unfortunately the education system has not gone unscathed. From our core-novels in English classes, to Western-oriented narratives in history, our curriculum is extremely Euro-centric. The students of the current system are victims to the rampant and gross misrepresentation of non-European communities, especially the Islamic and Middle Eastern and North African communities.The Middle East and Islamic Civilizations are often portrayed as violent, corrupt,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Atty R (United States) published:

Equal pay for Equal change

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Giving equal pay to all people will lead to a greater economy and will give women and people of color more opportunities in life. Women contribute 83% of America's spending to consumers and allowing equal pay for women will grow and benefit our economy in the long run. Allowing women to be equally paid is bound to give us more opportunities to benefit and expand our economy. Permitting women and minorities a bigger paycheck will guide them to better education...

ImnFlitch (Philippines) published:

Pressing Concerns: Reject Youth and Journalist Suppression

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Serving as a journalist is a privilege in itself, but privilege becomes a duty quickly as journalism finds itself becoming an enemy of the state. As a campus journalist myself, we'd be considered as such – a title that we shouldn’t carry because we’re only doing our jobs.

Here in the Philippines, the killing of media workers multiplied since controversial leader Rodrigo Duterte became president. From 2016 to 2018, 12 journalists were murdered– a figure that would not improve...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

amaryllis (United States) published:

Let Us Write

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

For so many years, through elementary school, middle school, and even high school, we've been taught poetry as haikus and Dr. Seuss, as sonnets and Shakespeare. We are taught syllables and rhymes, metaphors and alliteration, iambic pentameter and line breaks. We have masterful poetry shoved down our throats, glimpse genius and are given a pencil, a notebook, and a packet of poetic torture devices to recreate it.

But how can we, when we've never learned what poetry is? Instead, we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

natalia l. (United States) published:

No Justice. No Peace.

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

Trayvon Martin. Breonna Taylor. George Floyd. These are names of people who have died solely because of the color of their skin and unfortunately, the list goes on and on. We must bring systemic/institutional racism and police brutality to an end now. This is what matters. Black people are being targeted and thought to be a 'danger' just because of the pigment of their skin. In the United States, slavery was abolished in 1865. However, Derek Chauvin is on trial...

Seeking Peer Reviews

D.Seerah (Canada) published:

The Importance of Learning About the Mind

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

In today's generation, the mind is the most powerful thing in this world. Our whole lives depend on it! We use our mind for nearly everything. For every decision, every situation, every problem. Yet none of us have taken a class in school to learn about this. We go to school to learn practical subjects that will help us in the future, but the very thing that our entire existence runs on is exactly what no one talks about. 

Ultimately,...

1

AmandaLynnWrites (United States) published:

END GENDER DIVISION

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

For years and years, women have fought to be each to their male counterparts but have failed with each generation. With modern times and advancements, we have luckily made it farther, but that is not to say this is no longer an issue. Women are still constantly mistreated and seen as lesser and it's a problem. 
        Thankfully now, women are allowed to have jobs and they are allowed to have a say in...

Seeking Peer Reviews