All writing published for In the House

Published writing

1

Katelyn._.Rose (United States) published:

Where the Happiness Was Once Found

PROMPT: In the House

tick tick tick
The minutes continue to pass. but time at this hour feels like thick jelly. You wait, through the thunder and threat of danger outside your sealed door. You wait, until the hurricane comes to a long awaited end; until silence fills your house once again. Ever so slowly, you pull away from your enclosed room; ever so slowly, you make your way down the hall. You can feel the soft carpet beneath your feet as you step...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

caribbean_cucumbers (United States) published:

Noise and Silence

PROMPT: In the House

There is always Noise. The television, cars, talking, footsteps, and I could name one thousand more!  Noise only ceases when the sun decides to sleep on my hometown and the moon wakes up quietly. I like the moon. Unlike the sun, the moon doesn't wake people up. The sun takes all the Noise with it when it goes to bed. The moon brings something along with her too. The moon brings Silence, and I like Silence!

It's as if Noise...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Kayawk (Australia) published:

They Don't Know

PROMPT: In the House

Some say I'm silent,
 Some say I'm noisy,
  That's why I try not to listen to them anymore,

But they don't know,
 They don't know,
  That I watched them, 

As creepy as that sounds,
 I watched them in the night,
  I watched them in the day too,

I was like a fly on the wall,
 Except I no longer want to be on the wall,
  I know too much now,

But they don't know, ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Aries Music Lover (United States) published:

The Darkness

PROMPT: In the House

I chose to write for this topic because in my house, before everything fell apart, I was sort of happy. My parents would always fight after they thought I was asleep. My mom would scream and cry, begging for my dad to talk to her. She always threatened to leave, I never thought she would. Or at least I thought it would last till I got out of the house. I'm kind of glad it happened before that though, because...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Jae (United States) published:

The House

PROMPT: In the House

You could feel the tension.
There is an expression, that the tension is thicker than pea soup, but that's not exactly accurate. Even at bottom of the bowl, you reach something, whether that may be the peas... or just the bottom of the bowl.
This tension is different.
This is the type of tension where you could cut it with a knife… but you would be cutting for a long long, time. Because there is no end. I mean… well...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

elisa (United States) published:

la pachamama

PROMPT: In the House

She rests in the potted plants of the family room and in the hanging garden in my room - She is everywhere that the earth is, that love is - and my house is bursting with it. Her laughter bubbles up through the cracks in the wood and waters the plants, keeping watch over Her children. and we return Her love in gifts of meals, in more flowers, in watering and fertilizing Her endless earth. every time i hug my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

spookyskeletons (United States) published:

one more night

PROMPT: In the House

I watch them. I stay hidden. They will never find me. I can already taste their skin, the soft flesh between my teeth and the metal taste of their blood. I can already hear their screams as i gut them. I can already see the life slip away any life leaving their eyes. I can feel the warmth of their fresh blood on my hands. I can already smell the fire i burn the remains in. One more night and...

1

majestically awkward manatee (United States) published:

The Demon of Bloody Hollow

PROMPT: In the House

Click click click. I sighed. The demons that resided behind the wall were up to no good again. Ever since I had left them, they would bother me at night. I covered my ears with the pillow. 

Click click click. 

"Shut up," I complained. 

Click click click. Click click click click click. 

I pulled the covers up. They would start with their annoying clicking every night at around eleven.

Click. Click. 

I had had enough. 

"Thats it. I'm going to...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Isabella Ruffino (United States) published:

The Presence in my house

PROMPT: In the House

I have a presence in my house that is reserved. The rooms have secrets that linger in the night. Each person has there own room. Each has an excuse why. The presence in my house is anger and sadness, distance is something that roams often, but in the corner, there is a room that holds the house together. It keeps the house from crumbling. Though the room only sleeps one its presence makes someone feel safe. On the opposite corner, you...

Christy Wisdom (United States) published:

Music

PROMPT: In the House

The presence in my house is not a spirit. It is not a horrible thing, either. It is music. Music is everywhere in our house. We often play it around the house via speakers. Several members of my family play instruments, filling the rooms with drum beats and piano notes. Music is important to me as an individual as well.
    If I'm at my computer, chances are I'll be listening to music at the same time. My headphones...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

mariaa (Greece) published:

Scared

PROMPT: In the House

NO. I'm sure I don't have one of these big creepy houses at the middle of nowhere. My home is tiny and cosy. It's just an apartment in the middle of this huge town. A bedroom, a bath and a kitchen. That's all I need. Two pairs of keys, one for me and one for.. oh I don't know.. I live alone so... 
The apartment is old. The walls, the windows, the doors, I believe that they are from one...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sophbuhl (United States) published:

The Echo in the Lakewood House

PROMPT: In the House

"Who's there?" Florence Gideon shivered in the hollow hallway, cobwebs lining the wallpaper. She coiled her arms and hugged them close, her bottom lip quivering in anticipation. "I know you're here, Lucas, don't mess around." She whipped her head around when the stairs creek with every step. 
    "You caught me." Lucas Miles snickers and hops down the final step, causing the whole house to shake as if an earthquake was coming. "My my my, Florence. Why the long...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

Luna Lemon (United States) published:

the dove box

PROMPT: In the House

the dove embellished box
d
    o
        w
            n
the hollowed stairs
lays on warm wood
smelling of seasons past
and cinnamon left in cups
never meant to be stirred

S
         g            w
      n                   i
           i            r
                l

in nighttime whispers
when words remain in dreams
the doves begin to sing
but the lock remains without a key

the words no...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

KateAndTheTypewriter (United States) published:

The Inbetweens of Paranoia

PROMPT: In the House

The light once streaming through my window is turning darker by the second, weaving into shadows that play tricks on my eyes. What I see at first as a dark, hazy figure, is just a corner. I refuse to turn on a lamp; I won't give in to my imagination.     The dusk thickens, clouds dispelling the last few rays of watery light daring to sneak through the window. Right as I get up from my chair, another creak sounds downstairs.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Theelmentclan (United States) published:

The Presence I don't like

PROMPT: In the House

There a presence inside the house. I don't like it. I feel scared and insecure to it. It make me hated it every second it goes by. It change the mood of my house to a scary place. Everyday I feel suffocated thinking of this presence. 

My eyes are always following it. Making sure it doesn't come near me. I run away as soon I see it. It make me uncomfortable in the house. I feel like I should leave...

1

PurpleFly101 (United States) published:

Presence

PROMPT: In the House

There's this presence in my house.
One that I can feel whenever I turn off the lights. 
I feel like there is someone behind me but surely they are never there.
What if what I am feeling is just my own fear hovering over my shoulder?
What if it is real?
What can I do to know the truth?
As I approach the light switch I can feel it charging at me from behind and when I quickly flick on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Myth Dragon (United States) published:

The Bow

PROMPT: In the House

In my room, there are various items from plush to a balloon without air taped to the wall. The most bizarre item is a bow for a string bass paired with a binder with some songs within. Thing is that there is no string bass in the household for the bow and music to with. The bow is tightened, and some of the hairs are loose. I brought the bow home several months earlier form my sudden join to the Orchestra after some time...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Sable Knight (Australia) published:

Shining Darkness

PROMPT: In the House

My house is my home; here I sleep

(here I drown in ghastly nightmares)

in architecture crafted of family love.

(my relatives haunt me, choking on hate)

I respire the comforting aroma of home

(the house reeks; the euphoria smells fake)

as my ears observe chorusing joyful praise

(my silence dead; hidden beneath babel)

and my tongue caresses the syrup and pancakes

(the berries are sour; my breakfast bitter)

on this summery Sunday; another morning of bliss;

(their religion a...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Harris A (Malaysia) published:

The Figure of A Mother

PROMPT: In the House

I find it interesting. A figure of a woman who seeks nothing but calmness and kindness from their children. When she is home, I felt different. I felt close. I felt like I knew her for decades but the truth is I've been here only for a few years. Her composure always makes me feel free and light as if nothing worries me anymore. Then her tears that cried for our failures not blaming us but blaming herself for not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

Kiwitty (Canada) published:

Apartment 605

PROMPT: In the House

Up six floors, in the fifth apartment to the left. This is where the family lives, a busy little group they are. Yet not much happens inside the walls of their home. There is more than the five that live inside apartment 605. The neighbours see three children and their parents, as ordinary as can be. What they do not see, however, is a presence inconspicuous, unnoticed. He sits on the corner couch - the cold one near the window -...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jmontalvo43 (United States) published:

POPS

PROMPT: In the House

My grandpa, the presence. You filled me with joy and peace. The disease that struck his eyes, allowed him to see no beauty, no color, but pitch black like the night sky. His hat, . . .  oh, that hat. No one believes me when I say that I can smell his colon that resided lingering in the air. The tap on the shoulder, although no presence was behind. Those medications, a couple dozen a day, with no sight, my sister...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AnonymousWriter (United States) published:

My Upstate House

PROMPT: In the House

I have a house in the Hamptons and it is  awesome. It's like a log cabin, but with fireplaces and coziness. I love the sitting room. There are four dark oak chairs around a birch table, a fireplace, a cozy grey sofa, and a pillow that says "Life is Good."
I feel warmth there and I feel that I'm at peace. My favorite place is the kitchen, with its white marble countertops, stainless steel appliances, and its cozy velvet armchair. 

Myth Dragon (United States) published:

The Bow

PROMPT: In the House

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

Maya! (Canada) published:

Absence

PROMPT: In the House

There is a screaming absence in our home. 

It is in the extra chair that sits in the corner of the dining room, disused yet too permanent. It is the dusty scent of the library in our basement - shelves overflowing with books and books and books and books. They wait. They remain closed, in the dark, and the silence begins to swallow their words. 

It is the storm windows that stay up all year long. The overgrown grass, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
1

AbigailSauble (United States) published:

Last Time

PROMPT: In the House

It permeated everything.
   Cold, unyielding, dark, evil. 
At the hearth, warm flames danced and hissed, but in the corners, it hid, watching patiently. 
   I felt it when I walked in from school. When I woke up in the morning. After practicing piano. 
Dread coated my house like dust. It settled over my clothing, in my hair, collected under my shoes. 
   The scent of imminent death was like a heavy wool blanket. 

My mom was going to die. 
...

Seeking Peer Reviews