All writing published for Setting as Mood

Published writing

Abigail (United States) published:

Wild Horses

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

It feels like home. The wind rushing through my hair, strong breeze hitting my face so hard it makes me squint. I hear the dead fall leaves crunching under feet, but not my own are they trampled by. Beneath me, the racing rock of a strong, fine horse, rich chestnut brown with pure white between his eyes, which are pointed straight ahead. The foothills on all sides of me are covered by medium-thick fog that meekly disperses as I run...

3

AlienFromPluto (United Kingdom) published:

This Time is Would be Different

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

This time it would be different.
The brass bells would ring around her ears as usual and the sound of chattering children would fill every corner just as it had last year.
This year it would be different.
Not because that special seat was taken by someone else, nor because that person was now emptying an arrangement of coloured pencils in a rainbow assortment, giving her a shy smile. The autumn leaves still shook in the wind and gathered in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

chasing_elysian (Singapore) published:

Darkness

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

I'm sad and I don't know why. 

Maybe it's the evening blues that hit me - the dark purple skies that loom over lone buildings, waiting for the darkness to claim its place. Maybe it is the broken bulb above my head that simply refuses to light up my life, hanging dead from the crumbling ceiling. 

My mother is in the kitchen, cooking her famous lady's finger dish. The aroma reaches me but doesn't evoke the hapiness it used to....

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

MoonFromAlola (United States) published:

Setting as Mood

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Ailey trudged along the soggy dirt road, focused only on her sandaled feet.

The rain poured down in thick sheets, you couldn't even see a foot in front of you. The leaves on the large palm trees drooped from the weight of the water it held like an overflowing bowl, filled to the point that its contents spilled in a constant drip. Even the flowers were waterlogged, their colorful petals spotted with droplets. The dirt road had turned...

4

KamilaAllin (United States) published:

First Impressions

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Aria's face wrinkled as a single spot of rain spattered her nose, another landing squarely on the tall suitcase she clutched with both hands.  Her feet brought her around the city, the gray behemoths of cement and plaster looming over her small frame, monochrome concrete blocks of walkways leading her steps towards the center of town. Winter frost did little to make the scene less chilling and unwelcoming. The unfamiliar faces, and odd street signs spun around her omnipresently as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

LilV.KC (United States) published:

Pastures

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Allie found her usual spot at the top of the hill and sat down, releasing a shaky breath. She closed her eyes for a moment as she ran her fingers through the thick grass and listened to the soft howling of the wind which made her hair flick into her now-calm face. In the distance, a horse nickered, and a lamb called for its mother. The hay surrounding the bed of grass whistled in a melodic song. Shaking leaves on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jubagh (Sweden) published:

After a Long Day

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

She leaned back against the uncomfortable bus seat. Her eyes wandered between the people on the crowded bus. Parents with blood shoot eyes comforting nagging children, business men and business women carrying suit cases and leather shoes, kids on their way home from school chatting and complaining about nothing and everything. Colorful backpacks, grey jackets, wet umbrellas. People smelling of sweat and chewing gum. Beside her the rain drummed agains the window. Between the droplets racing down she could see...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

KitFisto898 (United States) published:

Return to Dunstraudia

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Aaryah could see now that her home was not far away. The roar of the ocean's waves grew louder as a cold, biting sea breeze gripped the bare skin on her face and forced her hair to cower behind her head. The gray-brown trunks of trees stood like solemn statues, pointing up towards the gray sky, restless in the wind. A low rumble came from within the gates of Dunstraudia; someone pounded molten metal on an anvil, while others shouted...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

sinterspinel (United States) published:

Freeway Exit

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Aspen glared at the landscape slipping away through the backseat window, too angry to sit in the passenger seat beside her mom. They’d left behind the towering hills topped with snow-frosted pine trees that flanked the highway. Now the road was thin, meandering towards a destination Aspen did not ever want to arrive at. The view out of the frosted glass showed clusters of dilapidated buildings with halfhearted holiday greetings chalked on the doors of the few stores that didn’t...

Seeking Peer Reviews

8
1

Mwh01 (Australia) published:

Coffee is Bitter But Memories Are Too

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

He loved the way the warmth of coffee would linger in his throat long enough to make the air seem to caress him lovingly. Rain spattered in fat carefree droplets as he sat idly on the wooden bench outside, damp and splintered from years of enduring grey weather and grey people. Fabric clung to his chest, a sticky concoction of sweat and water, slipping down his flushed cheeks and collecting at the base of his collarbone like cough medicine on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
2

daydreamwings (United States) published:

Future

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Cara stepped up onto the ledge of the rock, gathered her breath, and looked about her. The first thing she thought of when she saw her surroundings was blue. Expansive blue-gray. It was a foggy day, and the mist hung low above the ocean waves. The sea and sky were indistinguishable, so that it appeared to Cara that she was in a seamless, eternal expanse of blue. The water rolled on forever, never stopping and always expanding outward. She heard...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Mitsuri (United States) published:

Today is the Day

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Darius breathed in the crisp spring air, only to huff it out as steam trains puff out their clouds of steam. He stomped through oodles of glum and gloomy mud, bounced over islands of sweet grass peeking through the murky puddles, and lurked in shy fog. He strut pass singing choirs of birds dressed in their finest of hues, each singing harmoniously of omens soon due. The sun, still weak, did its best to shine, comforting the winter thaw within....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Purple Kitty 2001 (Canada) published:

The Road Home

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Kyle knew he was in trouble; he trudged reluctantly down his street, hands in his jacket pockets. A large cloud passed over the sun, stealing his shadow and turning the bright light gray. The gentle breeze from earlier in the day started to pick up, blowing dust and grit from the sidewalk and pavement. Raindrops the size of pebbles struck the ground, feeling like ice pellets when touching uncovered skin. Lightning flashed in the sky, and thunder rang a split...

Seeking Peer Reviews

patentedpeaches (Ireland) published:

The BEFORE

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

The day is soft, soft and hidden - shadowed - beneath low lying clouds.

Queenswood hangs, tired and shrouded in a quiet that many could drown in. It’s a loud sort of quiet, the kind that eyes have never seen before; the sort of quiet that takes one completely.

Westward lane stands a mile away; the grass dried out, bleached pale yellow by the hindering sun long since gone. Swings lay abandoned in the parks by the boundary, forgotten and...

Ame (India) published:

You don't know me, I don't know you

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

The store was stuffed with sweaty and guilt ridden teenagers. Sara felt suffocated, her stomach was tight and groaned with every step she took. Her feet were like walking balloons, her neck an unsteady deck of cards. Even her back ached,  with each step she took a sharp knife-like pain shot down her spinal cord. 
  'Hey.' Dan was slightly taller than her by an inch or two but he wasn't the person she wanted to see right now. She...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

LyraLynne (United States) published:

Autumn Secrets

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Iris ignored the voice in her head telling her of her faults and concentrated on shutting it out. Not that she noticed, but the park around her glimmered with the signs of autumn. A slight breeze flowed through the air carrying the last echo of summer as it shook leaves from their branches and settled them around the park. Above and around her were all shades of red, brown, orange, yellow, and even some dark purple. If one looked hard...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Kaitlyn ❄ (United States) published:

When the Animals Chose to Haunt Us

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

We all know just what we did wrong and why we did it.

The birds sing sweet tunes and taunt the world with their innocence. Puppies snap at fingers just to show what a bully is. Weeping Willows bow down and cry because they know that we all know. Horses stampede to remind us that we are running from our past. Water skips over stones to show us that we are careless just like a stream. Cats run and hide...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Nadia Kotova (United States) published:

Empty

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Maybe I should've stayed on the path. Mist curled around my feet, swirling with slow puffs at each step. It snaked its way through the dying trees. Wind whistled and fingered through the fog whilst sending cold whispers down my neck. Yet the shriveled, drooping leaves dangled stiff and motionless. 

Silence lurked cloaked in the thick mist. My ears cried out for sound, to the point where they devoured the plodding of my steps so foreign in this place. Whenever...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

theresafrance (United States) published:

Her Father's House

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

The house felt different without his cheerful influence filling in the empty spaces. Mia walked toward the elegant bookshelf she could smell the stale air hitting her lungs. His big leather chair sat proudly in the corner. A beautifully carved wooden table held a half-read novel that lay flat on its pages. The dusty books with elaborate spines in the tall bookshelf looked pristine despite being well-read and well-loved. Mia made quick work of boxing up all of his trinkets and belongings....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nadia Kotova (United States) published:

Empty

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Silence lurked cloaked in the thick mist. My ears cried out for sound, to the point they devoured the plodding of my steps so foreign in this place. Whenever I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Diagonelly56 (United States) published:

Crisp Autumn Morning

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Ella walked out into her yard. She liked to feel the fresh air each morning, no matter how cold. The autumnal colors of wilting leaves shone bright, reflecting the sun. They slowly fell, one by one, into the dew covered grass. A small brown squirrel scurried across her yard and up a crepe myrtle nearby. Its opaque flowers were blossoming this time of year, while other vegetation prepared for winter. The leaves crunches under her feet as she hurried back...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Unapologetic Regret (Australia) published:

White Walls

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

The man sat in his chair, staring at the world beyond his window and wondering how he ever took it for granted. It was a brief reprieve from the monotony of his life; there was colour where his world had none. Trees yawned and stretched majestically as the sun winked at the passers-by — visitors that came and went too soon.
    It had taken him months to grow used to the imposing white walls of this new reality; that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Abigail (United States) published:

Wild Horses

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

.audrey michelle. (United States) published:

Lost Forever

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Marissa is that one girl who has no idea what to do with herself; she's just too confused.  Now, in the woods, the deep dark woods.  Lost, is all that one can say.  She's running faster and faster, deeper and deeper.  That mind is gone; she's not knowing. Marissa stumbles, trips, and falls to her knees.  She's crying out in pain: "WHAT AM I DOING?!  I'M LOST FOREVER!  SO MANY TWISTS AND TURNS!" on and on and on....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jacob Hickman (United States) published:

Closer

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

The dead's brother melted into the crowd of silent mourners. As he passed through these people, who's feet blocked fresh tears that, little at a time, darkened the asphalt, the silence created a jarring ringing in his ears. He was surrounded by sorrow- the quiet mourners that tried in vain to hold back tears and the dark sky that gently cried itself- and sadness felt as if it were clutching his thoughts in an unescapable grasp. The clouds took tender heed...

Seeking Peer Reviews