This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Pandemic Metaphor

Full Details

“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.”

So goes Emily Dickinson’s poem “Hope is the thing with feathers”. In the first short stanza , Dickinson presents us with an exciting yet fitting perspective on hope by relating it again and again to a bird through use of metaphor (a comparison without using “like” or “as”). This sustained comparison between two objects is called an extended metaphor. Notice how in her poem, while Dickinson focuses on one subject, she discusses several different aspects of a bird, from its feathers, to the way it perches, to its tune.

Following Dickinson’s lead, compose a short poem focused on YOUR experience with the global pandemic. Use an extended metaphor to describe a specific emotion that has resonated with you in the recent months. But like Dickinson, craft your comparisons in ways that reference your chosen subject without directly stating what it is. Perhaps you’ll write that freedom is the thing with pages, or that fear is the thing with eight legs. You decide!

For further inspiration, check out these moving, metaphoric poems from Community Ambassadors sci-Fi and mooncake!

[This prompt was designed by Community Ambassador mindfruit]