This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

New years res

Writing Resolution

Full Details

It’s New Years, dear writers. What better time to reflect on your habits old and new, and shape your writing rituals for the year to come? Start off 2016 right: with a writing resolution.

Perhaps you want to finish that novel you started for last November’s competition. Or respond to a prompt on the site each week, enter three competitions in entirely new-to-you genres, or write a review for a fellow writer every time you receive feedback. 

Maybe your resolution goes beyond the WtW platform: Extinguishing that voice of doubt in your head (your inner critic); writing one letter per month and sending it through the mail to a lucky friend or family member; carrying around your writer’s notebook and jotting daily musings.

As Michael Chabin once said, “You need three things to become a successful novelist: talent, luck and discipline. Discipline is the one element of those three things that you can control, and so that is the one that you have to focus on controlling, and you just have to hope and trust in the other two.” 

Let's ring in the New Year right, dear writers. Here's to discipline!

For inspiration, check out this piece by our very own Crys Partridge.