All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

Enlight (Canada) published:

Bible of the Socialists: “The Communist Manifesto” by Karl Marx

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“A specter is haunting Europe — the specter of communism.” Almost a century after this declaration, communism would stretch from the Elbe to the Amur. In “The Communist Manifesto” (1848), which Karl Marx co-authored with Friedrich Engels, he would lay down the foundations of Marxism, the ideology upon which communist states of the twentieth century would be built. Marx asserts that communism was the inescapable tide of human history: the deteriorating conditions of the lower classes would eventually result in...

Samsara Shrivastava (United States) published:

This is Your Brain on Food: Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Just a few pages into This Is Your Brain on Food, Dr. Uma Naidoo, the author, and a nutritional psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School, gets personal when describing the mysteries of food and its correlation to mental health. By sharing her cancer diagnosis, Naidoo creates a sense of intimacy with the reader. After she shares her own story, she poses a huge question, “what is the connection between psychiatry and food?” Naidoo admits that, in spite of her...

This is Your Brain on Food: Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Amani (United States) published:

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy is the best graphic novel I’ve read. It was the first graphic adaptation I’ve ever read so I wasn’t sure what to expect, especially because this version was modernized. Rey Terciero (A.K.A Rex Ogle) far exceeded any expectations I had going into my reading. While the characters were different, their core characteristics and personalities didn’t change at all. Meg still dreamed of finding her prince charming. Jo was just as determined and passionate as ever....

5
1

Kayan_xvi (United Kingdom) published:

DUNE - Frank Herbert

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Action, philosophy, and feints within feints – Dune is a book that encompasses every aspect that readers seek in an engrossing, yet simultaneously introspective page turner.

Do you find yourself pondering existential matters late at night? Or perhaps longing to discover vast alternate realities? If so – crafted in a somewhat more sophisticated manner, only enhancing the reading experience – Dune is for you. 

Dune presents a great story with a certain...

Seeking Peer Reviews

arabella2 (Ireland) published:

Did I mention I love you by Estelle Maskame Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“To sacrifice is the final form of love”
Love is a beautiful thing, and everyone should give and receive love, however this story contradicts family values and the ethics surrounding family love. A family love has its own values and should not be mistaken as a romantic love.
In this novel Estelle tell us about how Eden and Tyler develop an attraction for each other that eventually lead to love with the knowledge that their parents are married to each...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

arabella2 (Ireland) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Varshini (Singapore) published:

How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Firstly, before I get into the details of the book, I need to emphasize how relatable and realistic this book is. It truly is a marvelous piece of work that touches on the hottest topics in society today, both online and offline. It is everything we experience and see in our daily lives. Body shaming, reality shows, love, high school life, insecurities, family issues, media and the list would go on and on if I were to categorize it. Ken...

1

Varshini (Singapore) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

3

Madeleinewren (United Kingdom) published:

Kerouac's 'On the Road': an Ode to Dean Moriarty, masculinity and the American Dream.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The product of three weeks and 120 feet of teletype paper, Jack Kerouac’s seminal ‘On the Road’ is a dedication to the unruly, impassioned lifestyles of his friends; the close-knit ‘Beatniks' of 20th century America. Fuelling counterculture, peace protests, drug-use and literary upheaval, these men - Ginsberg, Carr, Burroughs, Kerouac - engendered a new movement with their controversial literature. 'Controversial' is undoubtedly a word one affiliates with the Beat Generation, their work preaches sex, glamorises drugs, cries for protest and undermines women. Despite Kerouac’s undebatable genius, I do hold reservations about the content of ‘On the Road’. 

Kerouac’s semi-autobiographical novel tells of Sal Paradise’s travels on the road with the enigmatic Dean Moriarty –...

Seeking Peer Reviews

seaomelette (United Arab Emirates) published:

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury: Eerie Visions, Fantastical Nightmares, and Surreal Tales

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

In 1952, before the dawn of epic fandoms like Star Wars and Blade Runner, Ray Bradbury published The Illustrated Man. Though the book was nominated for the International Fantasy Award that same year, and would eventually win the 2007 Pulitzer Prize Special Citation, The Illustrated Man would be overshadowed by Bradbury’s 1953 novel Fahrenheit 451, which catapulted the author to international acclaim and continues to be a regular assignment in high-school classes. Nevertheless, while The Illustrated Man...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

crystalblue (Bahrain) published:

What She Found in the Woods Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"Trust No One- Not Even your self"
"Because in my hand a pen is a sword"
    Running away from a horrible past Magdalena is desperate for a fresh start. She is sent to her grandparents in a rich Washington town to recover, however, that town turns out not as peaceful as it seemed. She's scared that she'll never be able to escape her past and let go. Lena's days pass hazily until she meets(wild boy) Bo, and they...

smpp (Turkey) published:

an inspiring journey: the complete persepolis

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“In life, you'll meet a lot of jerks. If they hurt you, tell yourself that it's because they're stupid. That will help keep you from reacting to their cruelty. Because there is nothing worse than bitterness and vengeance... Always keep your dignity and be true to yourself.”
― Marjane Satrapi
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever read a story that makes you angry, uncomfortable, happy, and hopeful at the same time? Are you asking yourselves how can it be? Well, if you...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sophmars24 (Australia) published:

Conflict or Cooperation? In ‘Humankind: A Hopeful History,’ Rutger Bregman argues that our basic instincts aren’t as barbaric as we may think.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A few years ago, in response to the most bizarre homework I had ever been assigned, I began a discussion with my close group of friends. This was centred around a topic which has been debated for millennia and is still, I believe, one of the most controversial. Are people inherently good or bad?I was surprised by how quickly my optimistic attitude was used to label me as naive, and how my kind, sociable friends had formed such a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SunV (India) published:

The moment I met what life truly meant

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

In life, we like stability. So when Jasmine's life is pulled out from beneath her feet, how does she cope with it? And on top of everything going on in her life, she has to put up with you, Matt Marshall. 

---------------------------------------

Romance lovers, here's your must-read of the century. Shove aside Romeo and Juliet, forget James and Lily; this is a book you will not want to miss. Not your average novel, The Year I Met You dives into...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Amani (United States) published:

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Oscar Sun (Canada) published:

Catcher Notes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Catcher Notes
Hold on. Gold Gone. 
My first encounter with The Catcher In The Rye wasn’t that pleasant. It was the beginning of grade nine, and the people surrounding me were all bragging about how many classics they had read, how much “ink” they had in their tummy. I remembered myself panicking and literally went to google search for classic recommendations. The Catcher In The Rye intrigued me because I didn’t even understand what the title meant. So after I...

harripickett (New Zealand) published:

A Journey You'll Never Forget - Les Misérables

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

It's January 12th. After coming home from a family holiday, you are eager to receive the new book that was promised to you on Christmas Day. You're delighted when your eyes land on the parcel at the doorstep and quickly bring it inside. You rip open the wrapping, to reveal not a normal book, but what seems to be a brick. You had heard stories about the magnitude of this book, but you had assumed it still looked like one....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Noctuarie (United States) published:

The Stand: An Adventure Worth Investing In

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

When you read the wrong novel, 100 pages can begin to feel like a drawling 1,000. On the other hand, even the longest of novels can go by too quick when the story draws you in like a fish on a hook. In the case of Stephen King's The Stand, even in the uncut edition that spans over 1,000 pages, it still leaves readers wanting more. 
    Most stories can barely push 600 pages, so what...

Noctuarie (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Just a Moon (United States) published:

The Arrival

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

At first glance, the book might look like it was published at least fifty years ago. Titled simply "The Arrival" and adorned on its cover with what appears to be an old, browned, tattered photograph, it might look to be even older than that. But once you lift the cover and flip past the first pages, you realize that this is no ordinary book. Nor is it an ordinary arrival.

Most of Australian author Shaun Tan's books seem to take...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Just a Moon (United States) published:

The Arrival

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Coeur (United States) published:

Jo's Boys Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Everyone knows Louisa May Alcott's classic Little Women. It is one of the classics showcasing America's history and is an inspiration for women authors everywhere. However, though this book lives on in its well-deserved fame in the minds and hearts of readers- its sequels are noticeably undervalued! 
    Little Women was originally published in two volumes, one titled Little Women and one (unofficially titled) Little Wives. If some may find it surprising that half of the book is actually a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lizziclesm7 (United States) published:

Poetry Against the Conventional - A book review of "The Tradition" by Jericho Brown

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

When I think of the word “tradition,” I think of the holidays and stories I’ve grown up with, the cultures I have been exposed to, and the beliefs passed down to me by my family. In Jericho Brown’s poetry anthology, The Tradition, the author poses questions and ideas around the meaning of this word in our world, and explores how those meanings shape our actions. It highlights topics of race, sexuality, loss, and more. It’s heavy stuff here, I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Nikki (not as active but i shall be back soon) (India) published:

Keeper of the lost cities, a book you won't regret

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Sparkles make everything better. Well, except alicorn poop."
"I don't know. I think sparkly poop is way better than regular poop."
"That's because you've never fallen into a pile of it.”

“Keeper of the lost cities” by Shannon Messenger, has to be one of the most beautiful nine- book series, I have ever read and daresay my favourite! But today I will only tell you about book one, because that is where it all started.
Sophie Foster, is...
Seeking Peer Reviews