All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

JR123456 (Australia) published:

Jolly Foul Play- A Detailed and Thought Provoking Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A book can either do two things to even the most avid reader. It can take them into a world which captures their heart and mind or it can lead the reader feeling confused and unsatisfied.  The truth is, finding the perfect book isn’t easy at all and I can say this with experience. Stacking up books from the library, I would read a book in almost every genre, waiting for the one book that will stand out against the...

JR123456 (Australia) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Justin Hu (China) published:

NORWEGIAN WOOD

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I was once in a dark wood. Everywhere was silent. Leaves glistened with black water. In the distance, I thought I saw a boa constrictor, writhing across a tree. It opened its mouth and showed its tusks.
What would you do then?
Norwegian Wooddraws a picture not of a real forest, but a symbolic one—a forest dense with death. Death is a central theme throughout this novel. The novel begins with Kengo Kora’s death, which ruptures the relationship between...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

mishmish (Australia) published:

A sad little book about the humanity within clones

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The novel 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro was one I had decided to read after my English teacher had mentioned it in class. “A sad little book it is, you should read it if you…like being depressed”, he said,  and that was how I ended up reading this sad little book. The reason as to why I favoured it was because it helped me understand something I had not yet figured out; it addressed a query of mine…...

Mattyb (Singapore) published:

A unique and exquisite book compacted with thriller and suspense

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

AN INSPECTOR CALLS’ BY J.B. PRIESTLEY 

Contrary to my initial skepticism and expectations, I have to recommend his renowned classic, An Inspector Calls, due to its still-relevant meaning and context of the story. I first came across this compact and succinct book when I had to study and analyze it for school. As much as I detest reading books, due to the frustration it gives and the patience it demands, nonetheless, I was unexpectedly intrigued by the...

Mattyb (Singapore) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

AN INSPECTOR CALLS’ BY J.B. PRIESTLEY 

1

yoghurt (Indonesia) published:

Monsters that Sparkle

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“The painting was a lie.”
    Thus begins A Court of Wings and Ruin. For the many books I’ve read before, none have impacted me more than this one. Ironic, seeing as it was a Fantasy Romance: a subgenre of fantasy I’ve always deemed depthless, all constructed from the same twists and turns and the same romance dynamics and the same boring female leads. But the return of a father thought long gone, two dreamers whose hearts were big enough...

23Mingqian Dong (China) published:

Paul Kalanithi’s “When Breath Becomes Air”

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

It was a Monday, my first day of my first year at my first school, when my father called out to me as I stepped towards the school gate. “You go live a meaningful life,” he told me. Later, sitting in the classroom, I stared at the large pile of books, half as tall as the table, assigned to me for the school year. What had my father meant?
    For the next several years, I returned to my father’s question again and again while becoming a hard-working student, finishing whatever paper or quiz my teachers assigned. However, I knew I lacked something. During a night in sixth grade, I remember lying in bed and crying, thinking...

Seeking Peer Reviews

BillyJoeBobTheThird (Canada) published:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The most renowned and sought-after book in the world. The timely classic which took flight in our hearts. This story has been an absolute game-changer to everyone’s lives. Yes, this touching tale is The Great Gatsby.
    Written by a Princeton student and a soldier who served in World War I named F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby is a story taking place in the Roaring Twenties (the period of time after the war when the United States became ostentatiously...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5
1

Pavithra C.P (India) published:

A Thousand Splendid Suns- I still can't stop thinking about it.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I read a book at 4:00 am. I read A Thousand Splendid Suns. For the FIFTH time.

Khaled Hosseini's masterpiece, The Thousand Splendid Suns has an essence in it that caught me off-guard. The emotions hit me like never before- sure enough, it was the fifth time I was reading it. And it hit me different. Before I knew it, I could feel tears rolling down my cheeks as I read, contemplating each word as my brother snores beside me.
I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ayesha Siddiqua (India) published:

Book review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The book ‘Wonder’ is wonderful! When I read this book. I was so overwhelmed, my heart loved it . It was the best book. Along with kindness, the book is rich with other themes such as anti-bullying and having compassion, acceptance, and empathy for others. I know most of the people would definitely love it. August is a 10-year-old boy who is born with craniofacial abnormalities (birth defects of the face or head) that prevented him to go to school....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Tanuja Singh (India) published:

Book review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Every teenager likes fiction , but when it comes with emotional rollercoasters a story becomes unforgettable .One such novel that perfectly fits that criteria for me is " PERCY JACKSON AND THE LAST OLYMPION" being the last book in novelist RICK RIORDAN's first Percy Jackson series it unveils the mysteries about the characters both negative and positive . Rick Riordan takes his readers to the past of some of the most beloved heroes and shows us the hardships that the...

zobee.j (United States) published:

A Fatally-Fantastic Novel!

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

How do you know whether a fantasy book is good or not? Does it need riveting characters? How about a fascinating setting? Naomi Novik's cleverly-written novel, A Deadly Education, has it all. When Galadriel “El” Higgins, a girl with an affinity for dangerously lethal spells, becomes an outcast of the infamous magic school known as the Scholomance, she struggles to gain control over her immense power as she resists giving in to her darker urges. The Scholomance...

VaryaKataria (Canada) published:

A Book About War: On The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“War doesn’t determine who’s right,” protagonist Rin states in a discussion of battle strategy, “War determines who remains.” 

The Poppy War is the first installment in a grimdark fantasy trilogy by R.F. Kuang, published in 2018. Congruous with its title, this is a book about war, with evident parallels to the second Sino-Japanese war—a gruesome era of Chinese history. Even the word “poppy” is not to be taken as a symbol of lightness, as it is in reference to opium...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Bridget fletcher (United States) published:

The Sorrows of Young Werther

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If someone told my sophomore year self my favorite book would be a classic I encounter during English class, I would have glanced behind me, because surely they were not talking to meThe Sorrows of Young Werther, by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is a somewhat true collection of letters exchanged between young Werther and his friend, Wilhelm. Through these letters, the readers watches as Werther travels to find himself, but in turn finds someone else....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Morgan12 (United States) published:

Life of Pi Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Being the bookworm I am, I started to become very underwhelmed with the books I had been handed to read in the past year. I was once so easily enchanted and inspired by the books I would open, and because of this, I could easily get through two to three books a week. Now, I was barely getting through a single book a month. At first, I began reading Life of Picompletely expecting...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Morgan12 (United States) published:

Life of Pi Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Seeking Peer Reviews

Morgan12 (United States) published:

Life of Pi Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sophie Mae (Canada) published:

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The Song of Achillesby Madeline Miller is soul-crushingly beautiful in an infinite amount of ways. It is quite the rare occasion to pick up a book at random and find yourself sobbing nearly hours later, but it is even more unlikely to find a book that you will feel has ultimately broken your heart, only to discover that it actually put it back together again. In this world, humans are no strangers to adversity of any kind. Oftentimes we...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mattyb (Singapore) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

AN INSPECTOR CALLS’ BY J.B. PRIESTLEY

Out of all the J.B. Priestley books and dramatic plays, I have to spontaneously recommend his renowned classic, An Inspector Calls. I first came across this compact but succinct book when I had to study and analyse it for school. As much as I detest reading books, however, I was unexpectedly intrigued by the characters and plot which filled the book once I commenced my journey with one of Priestley’s classics. 
An...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

CassieHuang (China) published:

Le Petit Prince

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Antony, the author of the Little Prince, is not only the author of this well known book, but also loves his job as a pilot.However,in 1938,he was told he could not fly because of illness,he persisted and was sent to do the reconnaissance. At this time,he had a lot of free time,but he felt no one understood him, so he imagined driving the plane in the desert to meet a little prince.Someone say that he is the pilot in the...

1

emmagrace (United States) published:

'Out of My Mind' Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Everybody uses words to express themselves. Except me. And I bet most people don’t realize the real power of words. But I do.”
    Words are beautiful and costly. We constantly use and abuse them. We lift each other up with smiles and thoughtful words. But in the next moment, fire pours out of our lips, and we regret the things we can’t take back.
    We don’t give words the appreciation and respect they deserve.
    But what if we...

eve h (United States) published:

Devil on Both Shoulders

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I walked through the doors of my high school every day until it became a habit—but what if one day, I never walked out? You always think it can’t happen to you until it does—until life becomes a nightmare, and you realize how much you took for granted. The students at Columbine had these moments, and since then, student after student, school after school, community after community has experienced the shock waves of tragedy. And for those that don’t experience...

writing_is_art (Ayushi) (Canada) published:

Of Vice & Violence

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Six of Crows- Leigh Bardugo 
Thriller, Adventure

“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”
In Six of Crows, The winding streets of Ketterdam carry with them mystery, deceit and half-truths; where gangs squabble over the ever-flowing coin of tourists, and trade happens in everything from flowers to flesh. A den of vice and not nearly enough virtue is where the story of Kaz Brekker opens. Seventeen year old Dirtyhands, infamous for a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Amani (United States) published:

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Modern Retelling of Little Women was the first graphic adaptation I’ve ever read and by far the best. I wasn’t sure what to expect, especially because this version was modernized, and Little Women is one of my favorite books. Rey Terciero’s (A.K.A Rex Ogle’s) writing far exceeded any expectations I had going in. The Marches' were white with pale skin in the original, but this version features a mixed-race family. Jo’s mom married Meg’s...
Seeking Peer Reviews