All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

tayo119 (United Kingdom) published:

All the Light We Cannot See

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"All the light we cannot see" is a beautiful book based on Nazi Germany and the invasion of France I've read it around 4 times and recently bought it. I'm usually not emotional when it comes to reading but this book brought me too tears. Its gut-wrenchingly beautiful; full of collateral beauty and helps give different insights and perspectives on nazi germany. Although it can be hard to understand at some parts as its very complex and mature, I 100%...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

doodleninja (United States) published:

The Nightingale - a new kind of strength

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

How do you endure? How do you pick yourself back up again after countless falls? 
    How do you love when the world is steeped in hate? 
    How do you live while death knocks on your door everyday? 

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah deals with these questions and more through the eyes of two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle. As they navigate the daily struggles of living in a Nazi-occupied France during World War II, they and the readers question what strength...
Seeking Peer Reviews

quesadilla (United States) published:

a book to be remembered

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Do you think a life has any value if one doesn’t leave some mark upon the world?”

I don’t usually struggle to write book reviews. I am without a doubt, a reader. Reviews are not usually hard. But this book—V.E. Schwab’s The Invisible Life of Addie Larue—is not worthy of my usual ranting, raving review. It deserves something to match Schwab’s eloquent prose; something that will make your heart ache for this book and its story. It deserves something...

quesadilla (United States) published:

a book to be remembered

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I don’t usually struggle to write book reviews. I am without a doubt, a reader. Reviews are not usually hard. But this book—V.E. Schwab’s The Invisible Life of Addie Larue—is not worthy of my usual ranting, raving review. It deserves something to match Schwab’s eloquent prose; something that will make your heart ache for this book and it’s story. It deserves something...

quesadilla (United States) published:

a book to be remembered

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

TigerCat (United Kingdom) published:

“Monday’s Not Coming” by Tiffany D. Jackson

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“This is the story of how my best friend disappeared. How nobody noticed she was gone except me. And how nobody cared until they found her ... one year later.”

Monday and Claudia were inseparable, best friends, like sisters. But when Claudia returns from her summer trip, Monday is nowhere to be seen or heard of. Claudia’s mother assures her that Monday is sure to turn up to school at the start of the week. But she isn’t there on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

lupi.vu (Chile) published:

Smell the blooming lilacs

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Under the Lilacs, or how I read it for the first “Bajo las Lilas”, it’s a children’s novel by Louisa May Alcott. Ever since my father gifted me this book at seven years old, I have read it countless times. Everytime I am sad, when I feel numb or hopeless I grab the small book and I just let myself relax. When I read Under the Lilacs, instead of immersing myself in the story I just let myself taste the...

lupi.vu (Chile) published:

Smell the blooming lilacs

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

lupi.vu (Chile) published:

Smell the blooming lilacs

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

MuniqueT (Singapore) published:

'The Vegetarian' by Han Kang: A ravishing read that promises to leave even the most carnivorous of readers hungry for more

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

‘Before my wife turned vegetarian, I’d always thought of her as completely unremarkable in every way. To be frank, the first time I met her I wasn’t even attracted to her.’

For those who believe that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, boy: have I got a story for you. Contained in only 160 pages, Han Kang’s three-part novel explores multitudes: one husband’s heartless observation of his wife’s painful spiral in pursuit of liberation, a brother-in-law’s...
Seeking Peer Reviews

AccioAlyssa (Canada) published:

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout | A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“You’re such a bad influence,” I murmured as I placed my hand in his.
Hawke curled his fingers around mine. The weight and warmth of his hand was a pleasant shock. “Only the bad can be influenced, Princess. “

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout is the first book in Armentrout’s new influential fantasy fiction series, From Blood and Ash. The debut novel follows Penallphe Balfour, known as Poppy by her family and friends, and as the Maiden...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

Nikki (not as active but i shall be back soon) (India) published:

Keeper of the lost cities, a book you won't regret

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Sparkles make everything better. Well, except alicorn poop."
"I don't know. I think sparkly poop is way better than regular poop."
"That's because you've never fallen into a pile of it.”

“Keeper of the lost cities” by Shannon Messenger, has to be one of the most beautiful nine- book series, I have ever read and daresay my favourite! But today I will only tell you about book one, because that is where it all started.
Sophie Foster, is a...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Hudson Friedman (United States) published:

Written in Exile: What 7th Century Poems from China Reveal about Isolation and Resilience

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Written in Exile, The Poetry of Liu Tsung-Yuan contains poems composed during the Tang era of China, over 1200 years ago. And yet, Liu’s verses and prose convey a strikingly contemporary message: the crippling pain of isolation. Written in Exile is an early example of poetry of witness, as Liu expresses the severity of his pain in each word. Through ardent anecdotes and mind-bending metaphors, Liu’s poems, translated in 2020 by Bill Porter (Red Pine), retell Liu’s fifteen-year exile...

1

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“At times my body feels like a prison, a solid, shifting island threading through the crowd. A sealed chamber carrying all the memories of the life I have lived.”

Often when we read a good book, a word or two, even a sentence perhaps, tends to linger. Sometimes, if we’re lucky enough, we might stumble upon an author whose words manage to hide themselves in the crevices of our thoughts, cozy in the certainty of their impact. Han Kang has...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

jiachengs (Singapore) published:

An Odyssey in Itself

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A Review of The Odyssey by Homer
translated by Emily Wilson

The Homeric epics, two books that are considered so foundational for the Western canon that they have been read, reread, performed, and criticized for over two millennia- all the more remarkable then for Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey. Like an art conservator, she strips away much of the dust and flaking veneer of the anachronistic traditions that have defined past translations to reveal the perhaps surprising clarity of...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Rita Wijaya (Indonesia) published:

"1984" or "2021"?

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Whether it was a Stalin-led Russia, a fascist Spain or a British empire that ran history’s largest legal drug cartel, Orwell was compelled, during his time, amidst the world’s fluctuating states of affairs, to write “1984”. Contrary to what you may think at first, “1984”was not written in 1984, but rather in 1948. The title denotes the period in which Orwell predicted the Soviets would achieve perfect totalitarianism and although they never achieved this, some have argued that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Charliemcooper (United Kingdom) published:

Animal Farm- the dystopian novel that will make you think for days!

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Have you ever seen someone change their story, right in front of you? They are backed up by others, so you feel unable to contradict them and they get their way. This is the story of Animal Farm. A work of satirical, dystopian fiction based off the true events of the 1917 Russian Revolution that is sure to make you think about people in power.
I wholeheartedly recommend this incredible book, sure to be enjoyed by those who love dystopian...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

yoonaly (Philippines) published:

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Written with different narrations of characters that convey messages of their point of views revolving around August Pullman, Wonder serves as a children’s book – yet the words cascaded through the pages resonate with youth and adults. The book has simple, direct, and conversational writing, with a young’s mind comprehension requirement. Realistic experiences creep through the pages, making way of life-changing lessons that may influence the reader.

August, or Auggie, lives through his ten-year-old life filled with ordinary things spinning...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dono (Singapore) published:

"Behind the Shadows, Crime Lurks"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Book Review of Alex Rider - Nightshade 

By Donovan Dougherty

“These people...I've never come across anyone like them. You want the truth? They make Scorpia look like a vicar's tea party.”

All of Alex Rider’s problems began in England with a bank called Royal and General. This was but a front for a secret MI6 special operations headquarters. One of their so-called assets was a young teenager who was 15 at the time. His parents died on an airplane crash...

Sophialunawrite (United Kingdom) published:

The million pieces of Neena Gill

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

'The million pieces of Neena Gill' is a fiction book by Emma Smith-Barton first published in 2019. It's narrated from the main character's point of view, Neena, a 15 year old girl from the U.K. The author achieved to make the reader sympathize with multiple characters and feel certain emotions towards them. I personally thought this book was really engaging and meaningful but at the same time fun and intriguing.
The main character, Neena, narrates her life after her brother, Akash,...

Seeking Peer Reviews