All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

Kimbriah A. (United States) published:

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“So here’s the file that almost killed me, Director.” Those are the first words that open up Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristof. This book plummets you into the year 2575. After an attack on Kerenza, a slightly illegal space settlement (we don’t talk about that), three ships, Copernicus, Alexander, and Hypatia, set off to carry the remaining survivors to Heimdall station while running from the Lincoln, an enemy ship still deadset on attacking and capturing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

theoph03 (United States) published:

EDUCATION:a memoir

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Educated: a memoir ,based on the account of the author Tara Westover’s life, is a story that shows a side of the nation not known to many. The character and her family all live obscurely off the grid and away from society. The story brings to the light the power of knowledge in the way our perspectives are shaped. The main character Tara constantly has to go through life challenging her beliefs that have been taught to her since her...

theoph03 (United States) published:

EDUCATION:a memoir

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

WritingPanda42 (United States) published:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

You have probably heard of Cinderella before, right? But have you ever heard of a cyborg Cinderella? This book is a retelling of Cinderella, the terminator, and Star Wars all in one. Join Cinder as she uncovers secrets from her past to protect the world's future.

"Even in the Future, the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time."
- Marissa Meyer

Humans and Androids crowd the streets of New Beijing, A deadly plague wipes out the population. From...

HannahBanana28 (New Zealand) published:

Wonder

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Wonder, a children’s novel by R.J.Palacio is a heart gripping story of August Pullman, a young boy with a rare facial disorder as he goes to school for the first time in his life. 

August has always thought that he was ‘ugly’. He wears a astronaut helmet to cover his face everyday so people won’t point and whisper and stare. His parents think that it is vital for him to go to school, as his mother can’t homeschool him forever. August...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Molly_ (United Kingdom) published:

Book Review Competition 2021 - Good Omens

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Sir Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens is a linguistical masterpiece that intertwines romance, betrayal, growing up, and childhood with an effortless flair of divinities, flustered angels, demons who 'did not so much as Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards', 17th-century prophets, and the increasing tempo of the drumbeat as Armegeddon inches steadily closer. It really is that simple; I'm onto my fifth read!
Tremendously benign, endlessly inventive, and unorthodoxly funny, Good Omens is, plainly, a delight that satiates the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hana Greenberg (Canada) published:

All Out

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I dipped my foot uncertainly into the cold, chlorine filled water of a local high school. Everyone around me laughed and talked before our 1½ hour-long swim practice. I nervously gathered my equipment and jumped into one of the lanes. The water was freezing. Then I looked over at my new coach who was busy writing our first practice set of the season on the squeaky blackboard. I felt my motivation sag. How was I going to survive this insanely...

Liliana C. (United States) published:

The Hour of Fate: Theodore Roosevelt, J.P. Morgan, and the Battle to Transform American Capitalism

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

​America in the twenty-first century is a nation of vast and specific interests, diverse, and complex. ... But the battle to make American capitalism more fair rages just as furiously.

Brilliant topic. Brilliant scope. Brilliant writing. Susan Berfield’s "The Hour of Fate" takes on a time of transition in our nation by focusing on Theodore Roosevelt and J.P. Morgan. It is the intriguing story of a banker and a president thrown together in the national emergencies even as they fought in court. And...

alyhilman (United States) published:

The Tattooist of Auschwitz Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

This isn’t the genre of book I would normally read.  The books I just can’t put down are usually murder mysteries, post-apocalyptic and crime novels. To give you an idea, One of Us is Lying, a teen murder mystery, has been one of my favorite books for a while but has now gained some competition.  Recently, I got The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris, and it has gotten me addicted to historical stories and made my reading a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

livpalmbos (United States) published:

"The Cruel Prince" Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Let's face it- between the natural disasters, pandemic, and political tension across the world, 2020 was decidedly "not our year". I, like many other teens during the height of social isolation, wanted nothing more than to be swept away from the dire circumstances of real life; and what better way to escape than by reading a good book? So I cracked open "The Cruel Prince" by Holly Black, and though I was trapped within the confines of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Simonlian0628 (United States) published:

My Antonia

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

My Antonia
by Willa Cather 

What exactly is a home? Its denotation has not changed much since the time of Old English, as it has always meant a dwelling place or a house. But the connotation of a home has infinite possibilities, extending beyond a physical space where people live for a moment or for their lives. A home can be on a piece of land with “no fences, no creeks or trees, no hills or fields;” it can also...
Seeking Peer Reviews

My Antonia

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

My Antonia
by Willa Cather 

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

A Certain Type of Decisive (United States) published:

Complimentary Colors

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Like most girls my age, I’m obsessed with finding the balance between being beautiful and threatening. I look in the mirror, wondering if I'm enough to unsettle those around me-- to scare away predators-- to protect myself. Yet, I refuse to try and blend in with the background. I’ve always been attention seeking and filled with more hubris than should fit in a human body, that’s why I found myself reaching for that bright yellow book with purple...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Piper Karnilaw (United States) published:

‘Pachinko’ an Exploration of Culture and Strength

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I first read Pachinko by Min Jin Lee in the tenth grade as part of a school project. It was the longest book of the options provided to us, but I was instantly intrigued in the text. Pachinko discusses four generations of a Korean family living before during and after Japanese occupation, centering around the time period of World War 2. The historical context was unfamiliar to me, however throughout reading the 490 page book, a vivid picture was painted...

1

marisol lafaille (United States) published:

Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's The Leopard - Eternal In Its Own Right

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The Leopard. A melancholy, sweeping, subtle masterwork that elegantly describes the fragile dignity of man in just 330 pages.

The Leopard. A potent, vivacious, lofty tale that tells of the life and death of an age of human existence, through the life and death of just one man.

The Leopard. A vivid, grandiose, zesty world showcasing the exuberance, yet vulnerability of the old Sicilian Aristocracy, while reflecting the humanity of all such institutions...

VaryaKataria (Canada) published:

A Book About War: On The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“War doesn’t determine who’s right,” protagonist Rin states in a discussion of battle strategy, “War determines who remains.” 

The Poppy War is the first installment in a grimdark fantasy trilogy by R.F. Kuang, published in 2018. Congruous with its title, this is a book about war, with evident parallels to the second Sino-Japanese war—a gruesome era of Chinese history. Even the word “poppy” is not to be taken as a symbol of lightness, as it is in reference to opium...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

arabella2 (Ireland) published:

Did I mention I love you by Estelle Maskame Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“To sacrifice is the final form of love”
Love is a beautiful thing, and everyone should give and receive love, however this story contradicts family values and the ethics surrounding family love. A family love has its own values and should not be mistaken as a romantic love.
In this novel Estelle tell us about how Eden and Tyler develop an attraction for each other that eventually lead to love with the knowledge that their parents are married to each...

1

Caitlin Rothery (United Kingdom) published:

Rebecca Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Read Rebecca twice: the first time to experience Du Maurier’s swirling prose; and again, for psychological and sinister complexities of the story, which at second glance become horribly clear.

The house Manderley - gardens seething with blood-red rhododendrons and sea view dark and ominous - provides the backdrop for the macabre events which unfold before the narrator. The second wife of Byronic patriarch Maxim De Winter, she is transported from Monte Carlo to his mansion in the country. The novel’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jangra (India) published:

A Star Girl Dies( Triumph, decency and struggle)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

'Days passed thus. Schoolmates and teachers seemed indifferent to her crestfallen face. Unaware of the dim presence of a very lean, inconspicuous and sluggish teenager, students came in and go out of the classroom. When....'
A star Girl Dies, is a new chapter in Literary Field by a young author of 14, Bhoomi. The book highlights some of the sensible issues affecting a starry teenager, Angel. The book is high on content, style, description as well as has a stable...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

logineelhadad (Egypt) published:

​The Thief and The Dogs Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

How would you feel if you were betrayed by your role model, spouse, and friend? Would you plot your revenge against them? That’s exactly what Said Mahran, the main character of the novel The Thief and The Dogs, did. This novel was written by Naguib Mahfouz, an exemplary Egyptian author, who won a Nobel Prize in Literature. He wrote countless books that have been translated and enjoyed among a multitude of languages and nationalities. One of his most famous pieces...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Meghan Nealon (United States) published:

What to Read in a Reading Slump

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

William Jennings Bryan once said, “Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” Madeline Miller’s Song of Achilles proves just that, as the reader follows the story of Achilles and his companion Patroclus. Achilles, “the best of all Greeks,” is the godly child of sea goddess Thetis and mortal King Peleus. Patroclus, the perspective in which the...

What to Read in a Reading Slump

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

borja.isabella (El Salvador) published:

Frida Kahlo: Making Herself Up by Clair Wilcox

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Frida Kahlo: Making Herself Up by Claire Wilcox
                                                                      By: Isabella Borja

When you hear the name Frida Kahlo you might picture the artist’s bold, dark eyebrows, the colorful flowers that she wore as ornaments around her head, her bright red lips, or her deep brown eyes. Beyond her carefully crafted image, however, you may not know about her profound influence on society or inspirational artistic career. Frida Kahlo: Making Herself Up by Clair Wilcox takes us on a...

1

Riley1804 (United States) published:

Masterminds Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A warning before you read: this review does contain spoilers for the book Masterminds. Please continue reading with this in mind. 

Masterminds, a science fiction book by New York Times bestselling author Gordon Korman depicts a utopian town with perfect people. The Problem? This perfect town has some not so perfect secrets. Eli Freiden, Tori Pirtel, Amber Laska, Hector Amani, Malik Bruder. All of these children are clones of the world's worst criminals of all time.

After...

Seeking Peer Reviews

tayo119 (United Kingdom) published:

All the Light We Cannot See

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"All the light we cannot see" is a beautiful book based on Nazi Germany and the invasion of France I've read it around 4 times and recently bought it. I'm usually not emotional when it comes to reading but this book brought me too tears. Its gut-wrenchingly beautiful; full of collateral beauty and helps give different insights and perspectives on Nazi Germany. Although it can be hard to understand at some parts as its very complex and mature, I 100%...