All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

saerid telcontar (Australia) published:

The Passage

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

From: saerid.telcontar@emails.com
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 4:42 pm
To: ​the.reader@emails.com
Subject: The Passage 

The Reader,
   I was just writing to tell you about a book I read these holidays, called The Passage. It's by Justin Cronin, an American author, and is the first in a trilogy of science fiction novels set in an alternate version of America. The Passage brings together the stories of Amy Bellafonte, a young girl brought up by a single mother in unfortunate circumstances, Dr....
Seeking Peer Reviews

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“At times my body feels like a prison, a solid, shifting island threading through the crowd. A sealed chamber carrying all the memories of the life I have lived.”

Often when we read a good book, a word or two, even a sentence perhaps, tends to linger. Sometimes, if we’re lucky enough, we might stumble upon an author whose words manage to hide themselves in the crevices of our thoughts, cozy in the certainty of their impact. Han Kang has...
Seeking Peer Reviews

greentigerbeetle (United States) published:

Benway's "Far from the Tree" Provides a Much-Needed Perspective on the Concept of the American Family

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

When you imagine a quintessential American family, what comes to mind? Perhaps a white, middle class family of four, living in a slate-gray home with red shutters over the windows. The dad works in a charming office decorated with potted snake plants and the mom packs sandwiches and handfuls of goldfish crackers in her children’s tupperware lunchboxes. They own a dog, a chipper golden retriever who dives into the flame-colored leaves in the backyard every October. 
    While these families...

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

While these families...

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

While these families...

1

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jangra (India) published:

A Star Girl Dies( Triumph, decency and struggle)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

'Days passed thus. Schoolmates and teachers seemed indifferent to her crestfallen face. Unaware of the dim presence of a very lean, inconspicuous and sluggish teenager, students came in and go out of the classroom. When....'
A star Girl Dies, is a new chapter in Literary Field by a young author of 14, Bhoomi. The book highlights some of the sensible issues affecting a starry teenager, Angel. The book is high on content, style, description as well as has a stable...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Delia Rune (United States) published:

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

There are many things I discovered this year that I did not know in 2019. Back then, I did not know I would someday need to wear a mask at the grocery store. I did not know I would be forced to do school online. I did not know about the mental health struggles I would soon battle or the time I would spend at the hospital. I did not know about protests that would overtake my city and country....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emalie Caley (United States) published:

Ever After High: the Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

This is my favorite book and I give 5 Stars! I love it so much that I have read it 3 times! It is mostly for fantasy readers, but it has a little bit of almost every genre in it. It has fantasy, adventure, drama, mystery, humor, and even a secret forbidden romance! It is mostly for teens and tweens, but my mom likes it too, so it could really be for all ages.
  It is set in...

7

Saloni Soni (India) published:

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman- The Rebirth of Love

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

My story with this book starts like every other. A new recommendation. A new obsession for about a week till I found a new one. Little did I know that this 256-page masterpiece could alter the way I thought not only about love but about the universe itself. 

What if I told you that all that you know about love is a facade?

Call Me By Your Name is the coming-of-age narrative of 17-year-old Elio Perlman and his complex relationship...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Writing4Life (Australia) published:

A Tangle of Knots

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A Tangle of Knots is written by award-winning author Lisa Graff. The book is set in a time where every person on Earth has a talent. Knot-tying, baking, whistling, plant-watering, even floating are some of the many talents that people possess in this world. Every person has something they astound at.
Except for those who are Fair.
Toby Darlington works at the Lost Luggage Emporium for a mean old man simply known as The Owner (The Owner has some strange...
Seeking Peer Reviews

T. (Australia) published:

Akarnae by Lynette Noni

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"Embrace the wonder"

Lynette Noni's novel Akarnae is the first book of the Medoran Chronicles. In this novel she captures the attention of young adult readers and shows the importance of not giving up hope. This enthralling book is young adult fiction and fantasy fiction, it understands the troubles and excitements that come with the teenage world. If you devoured Harry Potter or Narnia you are sure to fall in love with Alexandra Jennings' out-of-the-world adventures.

Dreading her first day...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Brian (Australia) published:

The Count of Monte Cristo: Lengthy but worth it

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

What makes a book classic? According to my mom, classics are full of exquisite expressions (and will give me some extra points when I go into university). To me, classic books were books that were just old and boring. Really slow paced with difficult language, it is very hard to relate to these novels and their characters. I thought classic books were supposed to be entertaining because a lot of people hold classic books in high regard. So, when my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Blair Peng (China) published:

To Live by Yu Hua

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

What is the purpose of life? When should we make the conclusion of what is the purpose of life? After having gone through only 16, 17 years of my life, I don’t think I can come to a conclusion about how I want to live out my life.

Perhaps we never know when we will be able to find the meaning of our own lives. Yu Hua’s To Liveoffers one interpretation. Yu Hua's protagonist Fugui shows us his understanding...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wilson Cheung (United States) published:

China’s Economy: What Everyone Needs to Know by Arthur R. Kroeber

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Restore Hong Kong, revolution of our times!”

“Five demands, not one less!”

As a Hong Konger, it is no longer surprising to hear these chants running through my ears. Indeed, listening to them has become a routine as every night at 10 pm people stand on their balconies and begin shouting.
    It is also common to engage in the deeper political conversations that these slogans represent with my friends and classmates. Initially, I was hesitant to join these conversations. As...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Paul Luo (United States) published:

Behold the Dreamers

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Race. Class. Immigration. The American Dream.

These seem like weighty, complex topics that might be difficult to cover in one work. Imbolo Mbue, however, brilliantly covers all of these issues, examining them through the lens of the 2008 financial crisis, in her book Behold the Dreamers.
Behold the Dreamerscomes across as a rather lengthy book, but every page is full of meaning. Drawing on her own experience losing her job in 2008, Mbue depicts the lives of two Cameroonians—Jende...

Seeking Peer Reviews

cmariiee (United States) published:

"These Violent Delights" Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“In glittering Shanghai, a monster awakens.”
     Even from the beginning of These Violent Delights, Chloe Gong creates a jewel of a book, adorned with facets of mystery, bloodshed, and intrigue. Among the razor-sharp prose, wit drips with each shared conversation, cutting in among the glorious descriptions of 1920s Shanghai. The Romeo and Juliet retelling is full of angst, romance, and a good chunk of fighting, making it a must-read for any YA urban fantasy or historical romance reader.  ...

2

Acexip (United States) published:

My Unusual Recommended Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I recommend the Bible as a to-read book. I know what you’re probably thinking. It’s either, “the Bible?! Are you kidding?!” Or it’s, “the Bible. Are you kidding.”
    Just hear me out for a second, or two, or however long it takes you to read this review.
    I want you to forget.
    Forget all you know, all you think, and all you think you know. Let me try to rewrite them for you.
    Okay, now that that’s out of the...

kvattem (United States) published:

Review for "The 1000 Year Old Boy

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“The 1000 Year Old Boy” by Ross Welford follows the story of a boy who was cursed to stay the same age forever. The book focuses on his journey to reverse the effects of the curse that kept him young all those years. Along the way, he makes two friends who believe his story and try to help him with his problem.
Until recently, I did not read many books that were not part of a series....

Seeking Peer Reviews

kittensnake (United States) published:

Human bodies with paper hearts; Alternating between podcast and personality in Courtney Summers’ Sadie

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Is it trivial or cathartic how life stories can be told in eight episodes? Through radios and televisions, personality traits are sifted down into a few words. People become characters: rich socialite, boy next door, high-school dropout, stoner, loner, and hero. Courtney Summers’ Sadie introduces a 19-year-old girl with a body “sharp enough to cut glass”, believing appearances “can be a beautiful deception” (Loc. 359). But, her life weaves into a podcast for all of America to construe into teen...

sunfish (New Zealand) published:

Our Relationship with Colonisation, Both Historically and Today

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The rabbits came many grandparents ago...

It’s not often you discover a picture book as haunting as The Rabbits, written by John Marsden and illustrated by Shaun Tan. With a total of just 228 words, this masterpiece paints a vivid picture of colonisation in terms that my eight year old sister could understand, combined with language and illustrations which create an emotional connection for the reader between the book and their own experience. The arrival of the rabbits, as...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

marisol lafaille (United States) published:

Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's The Leopard - Eternal In Its Own Right

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The Leopard. A melancholy, sweeping, subtle masterwork that elegantly describes the fragile dignity of man in just 330 pages.

The Leopard. A potent, vivacious, lofty tale that tells of the life and death of an age, through the life and death of just one man.

The Leopard. A vivid, grandiose, zesty world showcasing the exuberance, yet vulnerability of the old Sicilian Aristocracy, while reflecting the humanity of all such institutions throughout all history...

1

memorabilia (United States) published:

Dear Justyce- Unflinching & Relevant

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"Dear, Justyce, 
How did you do it? We grew up in the same area. Went to the same elementary and middle school. Even had a class or two together. Why'd we turn out so different?"                         

This is a line from one of Quan's letters to Justyce from his current residence- prison. In "Dear Justyce", author Nic Stone tackles difficult but important subject matter such as racial injustice, stigma and prejudice,...

Aurora26 (India) published:

Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke.” (Saenz Pg.1). You kow a book is going to change your life when its first line makes you feel more understood than anything or anyone has done in your entire life.

This book. This book. Benjamin Alire Saenz has confronted the tumult that are our teenage years with such a beautifully honest and tender friendship between Aristotle and Dante, our main characters. The book...

Seeking Peer Reviews