All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

Audrey F. (United States) published:

Book Review For "Two Can Keep a Secret", author Karen M. McManus

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The book that I read was called Two Can Keep a Secret, by Karen M. McManus; this book is a mystery book.  At the beginning of the story, Ellery and her twin brother Ezra moved in with their Grandma in Echo Ridge. Although, there have been some terrible things that have been going on in that small town for quite some time. There have not been any suspects that have been charged for what happened several years ago, it’s still a mystery. But one thing is for sure, Echo Ridge might not be the best place to move to.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

BLSturton (United States) published:

“Salt Fat Acid Heat” is a recipe for success! By Bryce Sturton

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Did you know that adding salt to a dish can make it taste sweeter? I certainly didn’t! Cooking is such a large smorgasbord of cultures and techniques that cookbooks simply cannot do it justice. But thanks to the award winning bestseller Salt Fat Acid Heat by Samin Nosrat, the intimidating façade of culinary arts is ripped off to reveal the four basic elements that make all cooking fantastic: Salt, Fat, Acid, and Heat. By employing these simple measures, one can...

ashvenus (United States) published:

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

On November 15, 1959, Herb, Bonnie, Nancy, and Kenyon Clutter were brutally murdered at their home in Holcomb, Kansas. Truman Capote's novel, In Cold Blood, depicts these murders by Perry Smith and Richard Hitchock. In this True Crime novel, Capote speaks of this murder in four parts: The Last to See Them Alive, Persons Unknown, The Answer, and The Corner. Throughout the first part, the last day of the Clutter's lives are told in great detail, Richard Hitchcock and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Siyeon! (United States) published:

The Sixth Extinction

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Have you ever wanted to travel in the past, present, and future while connecting science and history together? What about accomplishing all that in just one book? If you have, then you’ll probably want to read The Sixth Extinction
Although I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, that’s just the reason I stumbled upon this book. With a cover filled by screamingly bright colors, I knew The Sixth Extinction was definitely not my average environmental based...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Simonlian0628 (United States) published:

My Antonia

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

My Antonia
by Willa Cather 

What exactly is a home? Its denotation has not changed much since the time of Old English, as it has always meant a dwelling place or a house. But the connotation of a home has infinite possibilities, extending beyond a physical space where people live for a moment or for their lives. A home can be on a piece of land with “no fences, no creeks or trees, no hills or fields;” it can also...
Seeking Peer Reviews

5

emmagrace (United States) published:

'Out of My Mind' Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Everybody uses words to express themselves. Except me. And I bet most people don’t realize the real power of words. But I do.”
    Words are beautiful and costly. We constantly use and abuse them. We lift each other up with smiles and thoughtful words. But in the next moment, fire pours out of our lips, and we regret the things we can’t take back.
    We don’t give words the respect and appreciation they deserve.
    But what if we...

LZ07 (United States) published:

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Hands down I just found my new favorite book. One of Us is Lying, by Karen M. McManus was a solid 9 out of 10 for me. 
    The book takes place in Bayview High School, near San Diego, California; the modern setting makes the characters and problems of the story relatable to readers. The story is written from the different perspectives of the four main characters: Bronwyn, Nate, Cooper and Addy, who all have secrets they would willingly go to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

BEANS (United States) published:

Refugee

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Refugee a book that anyone can get into and read for hours without a second thought. 
I personally recommend this book to all who are reading this. In a book group, my peers and I read this book as one and everyone fell in love with the characters introduced: Josef Landau a 12-year-old Jewish boy, and as we go through his story we find that his father is ill in the mind broken in the soul from coming back from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Jiaming (Zara) Song (China) published:

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

History is the closest yet furthest thing from us. History is what delivered us to our current present, and will always be part of our past, whether we directly experienced it or not. While those who have gone through a great tragedy or war can recall--and learn from--the pain involved, many of us will not directly experience the world’s great tragedies. Books can serve as windows into the past, allowing us to experience these historical events and learn the important...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Jiaming (Zara) Song (China) published:

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Daniel Huang (China) published:

Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Nothing in the world is pure; everything has another side to it. Atticus Finch, a man of generosity and modesty who famously defends an innocent black man accused of rape, kills a living dog with a piercing cold bullet. 
Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbirdis a classic story about which thousands of English papers have been written examining themes like racial segregation and the loss of innocence. The aspect that most astonished me, however, was the duality of characters...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

TerenNeret (Malaysia) published:

On Midnight Beach by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Would you kill to protect your honour? 

Dignity is at the heart of On Midnight Beach by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick, a retelling of the Irish myth Táin Bó Cuailgne set against the backdrop of rival beach towns in Donegal. Through the eyes of Emer, the daughter of the frugal grocer in Carrig Cove, the novel opens with the summer afternoon 'Seth Cullen killed a dog when he was eight'. The blunt opening line summarises the power of this novel's 'hero',...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

RocksRock (United States) published:

Magnolia Sword

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If you like books with fast-paced action, multiple intertwining plots, no way to guess what will happen ahead of time, spying, and a dash of romance, Magnolia Sword is a book for you. Hua Mulan is a teenage girl in Ancient China who has trained in the male areas of swordsmanship and hidden weapons all her life. She has been preparing for an upcoming duel all her life with the family that holds the other legendary sword. The duel...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

lifeasamusical (United States) published:

I'm Playing Clouds - On Yoram Kaniuk's "Life On Sandpaper"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Every word of Yoram Kaniuk’s memoir Life on Sandpaperis an exquisite masterpiece designed to draw the reader in and on as Kaniuk details the 12 years of his life that eclipsed between his arrival in New York City in 1949, a nineteen-year-old artist and war veteran, to his 1961 departure back to Israel, a father and author. The only word that seems adequate to describe this whirlwind view of Kaniuk’s life is bebop, and it is this fervor for...

2

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

ProBass14 (United States) published:

Chomp

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Chomp
By Carl Hiaasen
     For all those looking for a book with humor and adventure, Carl Hiaasen’s Chomp will never fail to impress. I have read this book more than once and still cannot get enough of it. Chomp follows the story of a professional animal wrangler and his son, a phony reality TV star, a production assistant, and a girl with a really mean dad. They all trudge through the swamps of Florida encountering all sorts...

3

oliviapalmbos (United States) published:

"The Cruel Prince" Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Let's face it- between the natural disasters, pandemic, and political tension across the world, 2020 was decidedly "not our year". I, like many other teens during the height of social isolation, wanted nothing more than to be swept away from the dire circumstances of real life; and what better way to escape than by reading a good book? So I cracked open "The Cruel Prince" by Holly Black, and though I was trapped within the confines of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

ellidakorting (Singapore) published:

The Giver - Looking past the illusion

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Ellida Korting
A question many ask themselves: What if the world were perfect, without pain or poverty? A world where everyone blends in, and the worst one could do is be different than the rest? In the book The Giver by Lois Lowry, this “what-if” scenario is the reality of twelve-year old Jonas. His world is monotonous, no color, no pain, no individuality. Everyone has a place in this content and happy, though colorless world and a role to play...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

BizzleWrites (Australia) published:

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy: The Greatest Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Have you ever wished that you could sail the high-seas, or become a doctor on a ship in the 18th centaury? Me too, me too. Even if you just wished to escape the drag of day-to-day life (especially in a pandemic), or to find someone who for once agrees with your feminist views. Sometimes, the world is a lonely, lonely place. 
    The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy is hands-down the best book I've ever read. Lying on a...

3

yoonaly (Philippines) published:

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Written with different narrations of characters that convey messages of their point of views revolving around August Pullman, Wonder by R.J. Palacio serves as a children’s book – yet the words cascaded through the pages resonate with youth and adults. The book has simple, direct, and conversational writing, with a young’s mind comprehension requirement. Realistic experiences creep through the pages, making way of life-changing lessons that may influence the reader.

August, or Auggie, lives through his ten-year-old life filled...

2

Summerfox (New Zealand) published:

Chinese Cinderella: Family, Books and Faith

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Pretty sure we all know, the fact that Cinderella had never been more than a fairy tale, right? But Chinese Cinderellawas more than just a fairy tale. It’s the a true-life story being told by the narrator herself. Most importantly, in this story, the prince was not not really a prince, or a man of any kind. But instead, the author herself. She grew up in the darkness, having been denied by the family but ending up becoming her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

TinyWings (Australia) published:

The White Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“At times my body feels like a prison, a solid, shifting island threading through the crowd. A sealed chamber carrying all the memories of the life I have lived.”

Often when we read a good book, a word or two, even a sentence perhaps, tends to linger. Sometimes, if we’re lucky enough, we might stumble upon an author whose words manage to hide themselves in the crevices of our thoughts, cozy in the certainty of their impact. Han Kang has...

2

saerid telcontar (Australia) published:

The Passage

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

From: saerid.telcontar@emails.com
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 4:42 pm
To: ​the.reader@emails.com
Subject: The Passage 

To The Reader,
   I was just writing to tell you about a book I read these holidays, called The Passage. It's by Justin Cronin, an American author, and is the first in a trilogy of science fiction novels set in an alternate version of America. The Passage brings together the stories of Amy Bellafonte, a young girl brought up by a single mother in unfortunate circumstances,...

saerid telcontar (Australia) published:

The Passage

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

From: saerid.telcontar@emails.com
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 4:42 pm
To: ​the.reader@emails.com
Subject: The Passage 

To The Reader,

Charliemcooper (United Kingdom) published:

Animal Farm- the dystopian novel that will make you think for days!

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Have you ever seen someone change their story, right in front of you? They are backed up by others, so you feel unable to contradict them and they get their way. This is the story of Animal Farm. A work of satirical, dystopian fiction based on the true events of the 1917 Russian Revolution that is sure to make you think about people in power.
I wholeheartedly recommend this incredible book, sure to be enjoyed by those who love dystopian...

Seeking Peer Reviews