All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

1

aloeg (United Kingdom) published:

A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Fresh, sparkling and mysterious as the Cornish sea - A Sky Painted Gold is a moving story of love, dreams and friendship in 1920s Cornwall.
    Lou lives with her seven siblings in a small farmhouse on the coast of Cornwall, England. In London, the glittering parties and balls of the 1920s are in full swing. Lou eagerly follows their stories in the newspaper - including the adventures of the Cardew family, who own the Cardew House - "a treasure left...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Anna Keneally (United States) published:

The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller book review done by Anna Keneally

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Be advised, this book contains mature content that could be triggering for some readers. Oh boy, did this book put me through it. The Song of Achillesby Madeline Miller was thrown across the room, marked up and tear-stained like no other book I have ever owned. Upon picking it up from Barnes and Noble, I had no idea what I was getting into, which is surprising considering that anyone who doesn’t live under a rock knows the story of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dhiya Prasanna (United States) published:

Out of My Mind Book Report: Dhiya Prasanna

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

When I think of the book Out of My Mind, a fish is the first image I think of. Maybe because it is on multiple covers of the book, but mostly, it is because it represents Melody’s physical limitations. Melody Brooks is a girl with cerebral palsy, a disease that limits her from walking, talking, and controlling her body, but not her mind. Everybody uses words to express themselves. Except me. And I bet most people don’t realize the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

The Poetic Youth (United Kingdom) published:

A Review of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Would you sell your soul for eternal beauty?  
Before you answer so hastily, heed the warning of the protagonist himself, ““the soul is a terrible reality. It can be bought, and sold, and bartered away. It can be poisoned, or made perfect. There is a soul in each one of us. I know it."”

“Dorian Gray had been poisoned by a book”. Will you…? Will you understand the reason why it was banned for decades for apparent immorality? Will you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

I LC (United Kingdom) published:

A Review of: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Hard Luck by Jeff Kinney

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck

This book is absolutely wondrous, the choice of words is absolutely exquisite, and you better hold on as you are in for a spectacular adventure! What makes this book very good indeed is it is quite relatable if I say so myself, Greg is quite the humourist and left me chortling for hours on end! For Greg his days feel monotonous but his day to day life is absolutely riveting in my eyes!...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

amandaorange (United States) published:

Notes on "Field Notes on Love"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If you had asked me a few years ago if I read romance books, I would have answered with a hard no. Because what could be more boring than reading about two people falling in love? It's obvious that my opinion has changed vastly since then. While I'm not sure why or when my thoughts on the genre changed, I became the type of person who just had to read that new book with pastel pink hearts on the cover....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sophiacriesoverabook (United States) published:

"Unwind" by Neal Shusterman Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Pro-life or pro-choice? Black Lives Matter or All Lives Matter? Republican or Democrat? The book Unwind by Neal Shusterman, and the following books in the series are always asking the difficult questions that challenge your morals within the fictional future taking place while also being perfectly applicable to our world today. It is an extraordinary book that everyone should read at least once if they ever want to have an existential crisis but in a good way.   
Unwind takes place...

1

"Unwind" by Neal Shusterman Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Unwind takes place...

Love, Rose (United Kingdom) published:

Cleopatra's wedding present - Travels through Syria by Robert Tewdwd Moss

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

‘Cleopatra's wedding present - Travels through Syria’ by Robert Tewdwd Moss is the most beautifully haunting book I may ever have the honor and pleasure of reading. 
The novel is, as you might have guessed,  a travel book around Syria, decades before the war-torn country many of us imagen when the subject of Syria is brought about. It presents Syria in a hazy, dusty whirlwind of all its tough beauty and ugliness in the form of strict religious dictation, ancient...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

In Which Yaya Writes (United States) published:

The Simple Art of Flying | Warning in Message Box

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A few books immediately come to mind when I’m asked what my favorite book is. Harry Potter. The Unwanteds. The Maze Runner. Wings of Fire. But, when I stop to think about it, there is one book that subtly rises above the others: Cory Leonardo's The Simple Art of Flying.  

The Simple Art of Flying stars Alastair, the African grey parrot. He and two other eggs are delivered to Pete's Pet (and Parrot!) Shop- Ol' Pete hoping that the birds can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sophia.S (United States) published:

Everything Everything

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

When Maddy first sees Olly, it’s when he moves in. Then she starts to see him skating around the block, from her window. Eventually, they exchange emails and start talking. Maddy has never really had a friend, especially not a boyfriend so this is all new to her. She really appreciated even having someone to talk to which is not her mother, Carla, or Carla's daughter. 
Eventually, she asks Carla a very risky question, can Olly come inside. Maddy...

1

The Inky Writer (Ireland) published:

Little Women - A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“ Every few weeks she would shut herself up in her room, put on her scribbling suit, and fall into a vortex, as she expressed it, writing away at her novel with all her heart and soul, for till that was finished she could find no peace.” I love this quote. It creates a sentimentality in me to fall into my own vortexes during scribbling stories.

Little Women, a fiction novel written by Louisa May Alcott, is one of the...

1
1

Riya (United States) published:

Reading "Refugee" by Alan Gratz (Review for review!)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“You can live as a ghost, waiting for death to come, or you can dance.”

Stuck at sea and waiting for a way to escape the dangers of home, the only thing these refugees can do is dance and try to forget their struggles. The refugees were facing such helpless situations, they could only find solace in carefree acts like dancing. The unfortunate truth is that the 6.6 million Syrian refugees in the first half of 2020 alone were...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Mr. Bachelor (to you) (United States) published:

The Hound of the Baskervilles - A Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The Hound of the Baskervilles is widely acclaimed to be one of the best, if not the best Sherlock Holmes story ever written. It has been said to be one of the best detective stories ever published. After hearing such lofty praise, I checked it out, pulled up the Audible version on my phone, and cracked open the cover of my text version. This review will be split up into multiple sections by the way, for convenience of course. 

Basic...

3

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Basic...

4

Starlitskies (Sri Lanka) published:

The Vendor of Sweets by R. K. Narayan

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The Vendor of Sweets
By R. K. Narayan
Indo-Anglian Fiction, Psychological Fiction
Recommended: For ages 15 and upwards

Located in the South of India, the village of Malgudi is a stronghold of tradition and the definition of convention. Everything and everyone in this village bows down to these traditional rules that seldom show themselves; invisible, if not for the deprecating sniffs that rustle white beards and the judgmental looks piercing wiry pairs of spectacles. From the corners of the dusty...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Joseph Poelker (United States) published:

Hunger Games - A Future?

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

(Warning: This review and book has discussions about death, not meant for younger audiences)
(Warning: This review also contains mild spoilers for the original series)
      The Hunger Games is a 3 book series written by Suzzane Collins. The series is about a teenage girl, Katniss, who lives in a dystopian world where the Capitol controls 12 districts, each producing an item or necessity for the Capitol to enjoy and be greedy with but in return, they give...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jackson Bolden (United States) published:

The Truth Is (Book review)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I absolutely loved this book and the concept as well as all the representation, diversity and romance. The book takes you through a beautiful story of insecurity, realization, sadness, and relationships starting and ending, and plenty of drama. Normally, when I'm reading a really good and relatable book, I can imagine that I'm the character because I've felt what they're feeling and seen what they're seeing.The book and the characters are so captivating and well written, and I was deep...

The Truth Is (Book review)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

1

sparkle7e (United States) published:

Normal People by Sally Rooney

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, One and For All, One of Us is Lying, The Duff - all these novels incorporate the opposite social status trope. The popular boy and nerdy girl exist in different worlds, but come together in love for one another. Normal People by Sally Rooney is no exception. Marianne is an unpopular, blundering, teenager who many feel is repulsive. Connell, conversely, is a shy, sensitive, jock who turns girls’ heads frequently....
Seeking Peer Reviews

mew8 (United States) published:

about mw

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I don't really know exactly what I want to do when I'm older but I think about it a lot. I know i wanna graduate high school and go to college but i am not sure what i wanna do. I have looked at some colleges like Georgia and Tennessee as well as UNC or florida. I know i don't wanna go to college here. I wanna go back down south where i am from. I really want to do...

1

Quirky_Chaos (United States) published:

Come Carry On With Me

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

We all have those books that whisk us away to a new place far away from where we sit as we read the story in our hands. The books that we read without putting down. The books that we could read hundreds of times without getting tired of the adventures inside their covers. These books change lives! There are books that have changed my life, and I have someone to thank for that. The author. 

Normally when I enjoy...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

emily.correll (United States) published:

Turtles All the Way Down, A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

John Green’s Turtles All the Way Downallows readers to experience unexpected love, true friendship, a billionaire's disappearance, and the realities of dealing with mental illness. Aza Holmes, known to her best friend Daisy as ”Holmsey," is a 16-year-old high school student who is often finding herself unable to escape her spiraling thoughts. Aza is constantly fighting her own mind and at often moments in the book it feels as though the narrator isn’t truly Aza herself but instead her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Turtles All the Way Down, A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Turtles All the Way Down, A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews