All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

1

Aurora26 (India) published:

Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke.” (Saenz Pg.1). You kow a book is going to change your life when its first line makes you feel more understood than anything or anyone has done in your entire life.

This book. This book. Benjamin Alire Saenz has confronted the tumult that are our teenage years with this contemporary fiction about a beautifully honest and tender friendship between Aristotle and Dante, our main...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lucyyy (Canada) published:

Confession Of A Shopaholic

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Most of us can all agree that going shopping is a fun activity, but how many of us carefully monitor our shopping behaviors and exert sufficient self-control so that we would not go overboard? Clearly, this is not what Rebecca Bloomswood, the female protagonist in Sophie Kinsell’s novel, Confessions of a Shopaholic, has in mind when she shops. The Confession of a Shopaholic, written by Sophie Kinsell’s is an autobiographical novel bordering on a self-help book that emphasizes the necessity of self-control in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lucyyy (Canada) published:

Confession Of A Shopaholic

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aurora26 (India) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

doodleninja (United States) published:

The Nightingale - a new kind of strength

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

How do you endure? How do you pick yourself back up again after countless falls? 
    How do you love when the world is steeped in hate? 
    How do you live while death knocks on your door everyday? 

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah deals with these questions and more through the eyes of two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle. As they navigate the daily struggles of living in a Nazi-occupied France during World War II, they and the readers question what strength...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Riya (United States) published:

Reading "Refugee" by Alan Gratz (Review for review!)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“You can live as a ghost, waiting for death to come, or you can dance.”

Stuck at sea and waiting for a way to escape the dangers of home, the only thing these refugees can do is dance and try to forget their struggles. The refugees were facing such helpless situations, they could only find solace in carefree acts like dancing. The unfortunate truth is that the 6.6 million Syrian refugees in the first half of 2020 alone were overlooked...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

In Which Yaya Writes (United States) published:

The Simple Art of Flying | Warning in Message Box

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

A few books immediately come to mind when I’m asked what my favorite book is: Harry Potter, The Unwanteds, The Maze Runner, Wings of Fire... But, when I stop to think about it, there is one book that subtly rises above the others, Cory Leonardo's The Simple Art of Flying.  

The Simple Art of Flying stars Alastair, the African grey parrot. He and two other eggs are delivered to Pete's Pet (and Parrot!) Shop-- Ol' Pete hoping that the birds...

1

Aurora26 (India) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

Zoeys (United States) published:

Novice

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Novice by Taran Matharuis a deeply immersive book appealing to all fantasy readers. It takes place in a modern-medieval setting and has aspects for all fantasy readers. If you enjoy a sprinkling of mystery along with your fantasy main course, it has an undergoing mystery that is slowly solved throughout the series. For those who like a pinch of action, it has many engaging interactions that will truly make you feel like you are standing there beside the characters....

2
1

The Poetic Youth (United Kingdom) published:

A Review of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Would you sell your soul for eternal beauty?  
Before you answer so hastily, heed the warning of the protagonist himself, ““the soul is a terrible reality. It can be bought, and sold, and bartered away. It can be poisoned, or made perfect. There is a soul in each one of us. I know it."”

“Dorian Gray had been poisoned by a book”. Will you? Will you understand the reason why it was banned for decades for apparent immorality? Will you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Eva Lily (United States) published:

Akata Witch

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Akata Witchis one of the most absorbing books I have ever read. It pulled me in, and I could hardly put the book down until the story was over. The novel is a high fantasy by Nnedi Okorafor. The main characters are the teenagers Sunny Nwazue and her three close friends Orlu, Chichi, and Sasha. The story has its fantasy adventure storyline layered with the four of them doing the usual young adult things, like playing soccer, getting...

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Dorian Gray had been poisoned by a book”. Will you…? Will you understand the reason why it was banned for decades for apparent immorality? Will you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Eva Lily (United States) published:

Akata Witch

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Eva Lily (United States) published:

Akata Witch

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

BlueSquirrel29 (United States) published:

On the Come Up

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Readers who devoured The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas will be scrambling to the library for her second compelling novel, On the Come Up. As a fan of Thomas, I was thrilled to delve into her next book, and was not let down on any level whatsoever. Rather than being the typical story of a girl who defies the majorities to be herself, the book explores complicated plot-lines and refuses to shy away from difficult topics. Each page brings...

Seeking Peer Reviews

On the Come Up

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

On the Come Up

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Acexip (United States) published:

My Unusual Recommended Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I recommend the Bible as a to-read book. I know what you’re probably thinking. It’s either, “the Bible?! Are you kidding?!” Or it’s, “the Bible. Are you kidding.”
    Just hear me out for a second, or two, or for however long it takes you to read this review.
    I want you to forget.
    Forget all you know, all you think, and all you think you know. Let me try to rewrite them for you.
    Okay, now that that’s out of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

34

Shivona (United Kingdom) published:

"NOWHERELANDS - An Atlas of Vanished Countries" by Bjorn Berge

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Reading for pleasure is a beautiful thing. Reading for purpose is an entirely different, wonderful, and indispensable thing.
  “Nowherelands–An Atlas of Vanished Countries” weaves together stamps, eyewitness testimony and historical interpretations to create a vibrant tapestry of the past. Any frayed ends are pressed together with the ethnography of Bjorn Berge- an author so passionate in his stamp collecting that, with a simple lick of the Cypher paper, he can taste the richness of the history it holds.
  ...

amandaorange (United States) published:

Notes on "Field Notes on Love"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If you had asked me a few years ago if I read romance books, I would have answered with a hard no. Because what could be more boring than reading about two people falling in love? It's obvious that my opinion has changed vastly since then. While I'm not sure why or when my thoughts on the genre changed, I became the type of person who just had to read that new book with pastel pink hearts on the cover....

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
2

jules g (United States) published:

Book Review - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Books are an art form, one that should be respected, and treated as such. Books, like pieces of artwork, show emotions and colors. Oftentimes, this art form of description is thrown aside, and acted as if it doesn’t exist. In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, however, J.K. Rowling does just the opposite. Descriptions of anything and everything paint a picture in your mind and line every page of the 223 page book. Things as simple as hair are described with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
2

jules g (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

kygijan (United States) published:

"Cactus's Secret"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

An estimated 755,755 new books are published every year. As of mid-2017, there are an estimated 134,399,411 total published books in the world. That's a lot of books. Readers can come from all types, depending on the mood. There are fiction, non-fiction, romance, horror, science fiction, mangas, mystery, biographies, and many more. Today, we live in a world where hard-copy books are less used, and e-books are more popular. However, hard-copy books are existent and easy to bring. Of all...

kygijan (United States) published:

"Cactus's Secret"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews