All writing published for Book Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

2

i.c. (United States) published:

What I Saw and How I Lied

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

You know how every book has a little summary on the back or on the inside flap of the cover? 
The first few words of this summary are in Big Bold Red ink and read Some Truths are never meant to be revealed. 

Now how does this sound to you? 
Does this sound interesting to you? If so then please continue reading the summary. 
If not then please keep on reading. 

The girl on the cover of the book is...

about 19 hours ago

Hansen Teo (Singapore) published:

Review on Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

This book is about of boy named Christopher, who has a curious syndrome. He understands math and science but cannot understand emotions or connect with people. This book written by Christopher allows us to take a peek into a emotionally stressful time in his life.

“This is a murder mystery novel.”

Christopher is a fan of Sherlock Holmes. He admires and relates himself to Sherlock. Although he never states it, his motivation for writing the book was likely because he...

Hansen Teo (Singapore) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“This is a murder mystery novel.”

2

Hana Greenberg (Canada) published:

All Out

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

I dipped my foot uncertainly into the cold, chlorine filled water of a local high school. Everyone around me laughed and talked before our 1½ hour-long swim practice. I nervously gathered my equipment and jumped into one of the lanes. The water was freezing. Then I looked over at my new coach who was busy writing our first practice set of the season on the squeaky blackboard. I felt my motivation sag. How was I going to survive this insanely...

16

Anne Blackwood (United States) published:

Girl of Sunlight (announcement in message board)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Books are magical things. Whether read in stolen moments between life's happenings or as a late-night escapade, they all hold a power that all of us crave. The power of stillness.
    There is arguably no better tale than Anne of Green Gables for those who fall in love with stories that are more than just an escape or a hiding place. This classic tale is a friend. Anne Shirley's never-ending enthusiasm and effervescence wrap the reader in...

2

Lady Readsalot (United States) published:

We Hunt the Flame Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"People lived because she killed... People died because he lived."
“We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.”
    I think I’m not exaggerating when I say that this book CHANGED my life.
Firstly, this is the book that made me want to start blogging. I had never considered blogging before, but this book inspired me and I wanted to promote books that I think will inspire others. Also, this was the first time I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

We Hunt the Flame Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

girl in blue (United States) published:

A Walk to Remember

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“Our love is like the wind. I can’t see it, but I can feel it.”
-Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember 

When I first came across Nicholas Sparks’ novel, A Walk to Remember, I had no idea of what to expect. But really, nothing I could have possibly imagined would have come close to the work of art I ended up reading. “First you will smile, and then you will cry -- don’t say you haven't been warned.” (Sparks, xiii)...

1

sherry171 (Canada) published:

Mistborn: The Final Empire

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

“...a world where flowers returned, a world with green plants, a world where no soot fell from the sky…” (Kelsier, The Final Empire)
That was the world Kelsier yearned to bring back. And the world he swore to die fighting for.

Mistborn: The Final Empireby Brandon Sanderson paints a tale of political conflict and emotional redemption in a gritty urban landscape. This novel grabbed onto my heart in the days of sixth-grade literature circles, yanking me into the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Emma Krebs (United States) published:

Adoration--An Insight Into What Makes Fahrenheit 451 Beautiful

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Books were born to be well-loved. When I received a copy of Fahrenheit 451, I was reminded of that fact. The book did not have a shiny exterior with glossy words, nor was it a book with blinding white pages that you would see on today’s market. It was aging; yet, held a beauty to it. It’s tattered edges and weathered pages told a story of its first owner and the quality of the story. It was the sign...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Emma Krebs (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Emerson (United States) published:

Gods and Monsters: A Review of Strange the Dreamer

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

In today’s society, most dreams die with childhood. They are driven from our minds by fear, by the pressure to succeed in a world that can be cruel. Artists are told that they’ll struggle, and authors are told they won’t “make it.” As a result, dreams lie limp in the corners of the consciousness, gathering dust as the years drag on. However, in her YA fantasy Strange the Dreamer, author Laini Taylor motivates readers to...

HalfDrawnSquirrelsWithSquigglyLines (United States) published:

The Transcendential Beauty of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

From the first page, author Maggie Stiefvater invites the reader into travelling the gloomy roads and hearty trees of rural Henrietta with their eyes wide open. A YA fantasy novel following Blue Sargent, cursed to kill her one true love with a kiss, the Raven Boys offers a delightful twist to exploring friendships and edging into the supernatural. 

Despite being the only resident of 300 Fox Way without psychic abilities, Blue's personality is vivid from the prologue and every chapter...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Arbert Xu published:

1984 George Orwell

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

1984 Book Review
George Orwell gives us a deep dive into his abyss of an imagination in his century defining book, 1984. Inside the abyss is a world where the government has complete control over everything, under a figure known as Big Brother. The party controls the world’s history, language, and all thoughts hostilely targeting the party. This “thoughtcrime” is one of the most punishable in Oceania, the country where Big Brother rules.
Readers are introduced to one revolutionary,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

joonkwonn (United States) published:

'Wonder': A Book of Heartbreak, Resentment, and Triumph.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

The first year of middle school is an exciting year for most kids. They feel like they’re finally grown, that they have limitless freedom - at least compared to elementary school. Middle school is where friend groups begin to become more apparent and kids begin to form social circles, becoming more and more comfortable around their friends. 
        Not for Auggie, though. In the book Wonderby R.J. Palacio, the author illustrates the story of a ten-year-old boy, August “Auggie” Pullman,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emerson (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Emerson (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Emerson (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

2

~Zoe N~ (United States) published:

Wuthering Heights By Emily Bronte

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If there is one novel that everyone should read at least once in their life, it would be Wuthering Heights. Emily Bronte’s masterpiece is one of the most revolutionary books of all time, thoroughly unexpected and a complete work of art. 

Wuthering Heights is a combination of gothic fiction, romance, and tragedy. It will leave you crying at the captivating diction and writing style. Written in the 19th century, Wuthering Heights differs from other literature of its time due...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

amaryllis (United States) published:

"Jacob Have I Loved"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

"but Esau have I hated." (Romans 9:13)

I'll admit that, kneeling by the bookshelf to skim the dilapidated spines of well-loved books for compulsory SSR, I thought that "Jacob Have I Loved" was the beginning of a light-hearted, standard, YA romance. But, if the biblical reference above wasn't a good enough indicator, it's not. It is a thousand times better than one.

The voice that first pulls you in is that of Sara Louise-- or Wheeze, as she is called...
Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Delia Rune (United States) published:

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

There are many things I discovered this year that I did not know in 2019. Back then, I did not know I would someday need to wear a mask at the grocery store. I did not know I would be forced to do school online. I did not know about protests that would overtake my city and country. I did not know about the mental health struggles I would soon battle or the time I would spend at the hospital. And...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Ryan Hamdi (United States) published:

An Ember In the Ashes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

Laia lives in an empire where her people are seen as filth, where if they try to rebel they are met with the sharp edge of a blade. They live in constant fear of their house being raided and always expect the worst, yet When it happens it is still shocking. After her brother is arrested for treason and the rest of her family is slaughtered; she makes a dangerous agreement. In exchange for help from rebels that agree to...

amandaorange (United States) published:

Notes on "Field Notes on Love"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

If you had asked me a few years ago if I read romance books, I would have answered with a hard no. Because what could be more boring than reading about two people falling in love? It's obvious that my opinion has changed vastly since then. While I'm not sure why or when my thoughts on the genre changed, I became the type of person who just had to read that new book with pastel pink hearts on the cover....

2

Dmoral (United States) published:

An Everlasting Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

8 letters in I love you and 2 words in I do. But what about a 1 word, 7 letter concept that can mean everything and absolutely nothing simultaneously? Simple: foreverForever is a breathtaking word, but there's no better book to take you on the journey of discovering it, then Natalie Babbitt's novel, Tuck Everlasting.

One day at that time, not so very long ago, three things happened and at first there appeared to be no connection...

Saachi Kandula (United States) published:

Why George Orwell's 1945 novel Animal Farm should be at the top of your wishlist for 2021

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2021

2020 was a depressing year, whoever you are, wherever you live. The coronavirus and the economic disaster it caused and is still causing, police brutality, and Australia literally burning, not to mention numerous other horrible events have all but cemented the year past as one of the worst years in the history of mankind. But by far the most surprising thing of them all was the collapse of democracy in the United States. Now, I know what you're thinking, "What...

Seeking Peer Reviews