This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

December Grab Bag

Full Details

Welcome to December’s grab bag of prompts, created by WtW writers! These one-liners are designed to cast you into a stream of words, no guidelines needed. In other words, there are no wrong responses. Rather, the aim is to write as much as possible without the jitters getting in the way. 

Please copy and paste the mini prompt(s) that you’re responding to into the writing field.
  • Write a poem with exactly 115 words. (by Love, Seneka)
  • What makes a writer a writer? (by AbellePuppy34)
  • Write yourself into a historical event. What do you do? What do you see? (by Anne Blackwood)
  • Write a story inspired by a song, with credit to the songwriter in the footnotes. (by I like to write
  • Write a poem about a moment of déjà vu you keep having. (by lilybeam26)
  • Write about a character’s first day of work at an unusual job. (by BizzleWrites
  • Write a short story that includes these five phrases/words: crochet, muffin, elephant, tragic, and “Don’t play dumb with me.” (by ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)
  • You meet yourself from five years ago. Give yourself 3 pieces of advice. (by dream02)

Want to submit your own prompt idea for a future Grab Bag? Do so here! If we choose your prompt, we’ll credit it to you!