All writing published for This I Believe

Published writing

12
2

Ryder (United States) published:

Message from God

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe in miracles
Ones sent from above
God has sent his blessings
And showed his holy love

I once dreamt
A flower before me grew
And blossomed
Then I knew

My prayers had been answered
Me, my siblings,my dad and my mom,
Would move to the country
And have a farm

Three years later it happened
Our land-lord sold the house
We moved to the country
And I praised God with all my heart
I believe in miracles!

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cray Wordsmith (United States) published:

Philosophize This

PROMPT: This I Believe

Studying Social Sciences requires positivist attitude and empirical approach, thus made me wondered about my faith towards religion. I am not here to throw blasphemy over the religions as well as the personal relationship of every human being to their gods and goddesses, but it came to me with a realization that the concept religion is fictitious. Religious may have provided vast aid and foundation to the society but studying its semiotics is quite interesting. Given the statement of Karl...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

aceofspades (United States) published:

Magic

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe in magic. Magic summons an emotion that doesn't come from the mind, or from the heart, or even the soul. Magic travels deep within, to a core so buried nothing can break through its exterior to release this amazing feeling; except magic of course. I believe there is a spell, a wish, or a trick that speaks to everyone and no one can quite explain what happens for a good magician never reveals their secrets. And no one...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Luca (Canada) published:

Because I Like to be Difficult: My Theory of Knowledge

PROMPT: This I Believe

After reading the works of Rene Descartes and John Locke, it has become apparent that one must really struggle in order to determine what they can truly know to be certain. On one hand, Descartes’ insistence on absolute truth results in the belief that we, as thinking things, only exist because we think, and nothing else can be proven with absolute certainty. On the other hand, Locke states that all knowledge results directly from either receiving sensations  from external physical...

Seeking Peer Reviews

YeetyDeety (United States) published:

Perfection in the works

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe in the perfect story, one written so beautifully that it reaches every reader, listener, and/or viewer. It could be a book, movie, podcast, the story about your day that you tell your mom. Why not? Can we not all empathize to the same thing? Will there always be one naysayer? Well maybe, but I believe even through all the hate in the world that we could all come together and create something we all enjoy and take inspiration...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Avin (United States) published:

Belief

PROMPT: This I Believe

Belief?
Belief is trust, faith, confidence

Belief in friends
Belief in myself
Belief in the world
Belief in humanity

Not enough
Not enough belief
Not enough trust
Not enough faith in the world around us

Belief?
No.
Why?
Not enough.

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Girl in the corner (United States) published:

Wonders to life

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe we are all equal in some ways. Some people might not have much like others but we all have something in common. We are human. Some people might be racist or just down right mean. But just ask yourself. If everyone were equal, would would you have to take any risks? Or Mabey even, would we have cars, phones, airplanes, etc.? Mabey not. Mabey we would be equal yea, but would we be free? I know most people...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

em.mhn (Canada) published:

Foreign Tongue

PROMPT: This I Believe

Learn a strange word every day. 
Talk to the foreign travellers you see holding maps at the train station. 
Ask your grocer his favourite thing about his language, 
And your doctor her favourite about hers.
Translate idioms until they're nonsense and butcher pronunciations until you kill them just right. 
Weigh down your pockets with dictionaries and loose words. 
Speak until you forget which language owns your tongue. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

gilroysgarlic (United States) published:

What Makes a Hero

PROMPT: This I Believe

There is a common misconception, I think, that heroes are people who fight for courage, for valor, for glory, that they are separated by their ability to fight. Those things are not without their measure, but fighting for glory for so long leaves behind only an emptiness and a backwards, violent way of thinking about one's enemies. What makes a hero a hero isn't their skill with a weapon or their body count. Heroes are marked by their ability to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Mark Welson (Philippines) published:

Soliloquy on Life

PROMPT: This I Believe

If you ever question what life creates
I'll tell you he is a creation
A masterpiece without desolation
A marvel to be seen, but life can mean grief

A faint spark, in the infinite twilight 
Dusk and Dawn, madrugada and nefelibata
Esoteric and Curious, Historic and Hysteric
That is called existence.

An astonishing feet of defiance.
Along the heights of the clouds,
Pushing, pulling, falling down.
Starting again at the bottom.

Life is a worn out storybook.
Hidden behind the...

1

m.m (United States) published:

this i believe

PROMPT: This I Believe

this i believe, 

that one day,

i could change for the better

and leave the girl

i hate that

that i see

in the mirror behind

5

SqueakinCrow (United States) published:

A Speck In The Universe

PROMPT: This I Believe

For some odd reason, when something bad happens to us, in order to make ourselves feel better we point out how small we are compared to the universe. We are constantly telling ourselves that we don't matter, because in the grande scheme of things all we are is a dot. A tiny speck that will leave barley a scratch on the entire plane of existence. I used to think this too. I was constantly thinking about how I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Kitty.Sumire (Australia) published:

A Mother in a 14 Year Old

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe that a mother comes in all shapes and forms, even in a fourteen year old. 

I never noticed that I ever behaved like a mother or like a caregiver until my friends decided to assign each other as a role in a family and tell the person the reasons why for their position in the family.
The youngest of the group, Hannah (12), was the baby of the group naturally.
The second youngest, Grace(13), was the cousin who...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Mary Wall (United States) published:

This I Believe

PROMPT: This I Believe

This I believe:

~ That the most hurtful thing you can say to your child is that you are disappointed in them. It's different if you are disappointed in what they did. To tell them that you are disappointed in them is like telling them that they didn't measure up. 

~ That the world could be made a better place if everyone,( even just a few people can make a difference) put everyone else before themselves....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Made4Love (United States) published:

The Beauty of Love

PROMPT: This I Believe

I once thought I knew,
but I didn't truly understand.
Oh, I have been made new.

I used to think that love was found
in one special person who was meant to be.
Now, I can see love all around.

Love is not found, nor easy, nor mine alone.
Love lives not in one form, but many.
Love is here and now, chosen and willed, and to all shown.

I believe in an eternal love that works to unite.
I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Tatihanna101 (Australia) published:

My Personal Philosophie

PROMPT: This I Believe

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, but simply converted into something else. I believe that when thoughts, feelings, dreams are formed, the energy that it took to form them, gets converted and sent somewhere else. For example;
Flashback
My phone buzzes against the white wooden side table wedged between the big queen bed, that I was currently occupying, and the wall. Quickly, I grabbed the phone and huddled under my warmish duvet. Despite me sleeping, and supposedly collecting warmth,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

LyraLynne (United States) published:

Remembrance and the American Dream

PROMPT: This I Believe

Lately, in my Honors American Literature class, we've been talking about the qualities that define America. What I've realized is: America as a whole is undefinable. There's just no other way to describe it. That's part of what makes us unique. We are indeed a melting pot, and the actions of one cannot bring down the whole.
    With everything we've been reading in that class, it all shows this quality: we cannot be pinned down. You break us...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

nayna (United States) published:

Rambling Of Unpleasant Thoughts Messing With My Mind

PROMPT: This I Believe

Everything I do is authentic. The words I speak in candid thoroughness and directness, the smiles I pull at the trigger of an authentic friend's jokes, the way I hold no filter in my mind and no shame for all the gibberish that flows out of my mouth as a result are all as real and genuine as my soul. It's only all spiced with a few white lies here and there. 
Everything I do is not shallow. Though, I also...

1

Made4Love (United States) published:

The Beauty of Love

PROMPT: This I Believe

I once thought I knew,
but I didn't truly understand.
Oh, I have been made new.

I used to think that love was found
Now, I can see love all around.

Love lives not in one form, but many.

I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rarazana (Philippines) published:

The Oddball

PROMPT: This I Believe

Sometimes people tell me that I'm wrong even though they don't really know the answer. I don't find
any fault in them... I only notice they're stubborn. I take in their mannerisms and expressions... I learn how they are. I don't think it's terrible that I can judge their character silently. If anyone else knew what I was thinking; then, to them I am judgemental. I truly don't mean to harm or to judge, but I admit it's...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

KR (United States) published:

Lonely World Tops

PROMPT: This I Believe

A hiker stands at the top of a mountain. Bitter wind threatens to drag him down, but he stands his ground, filling his lungs to the point where the cold hurts. Looking down, he can see everything. Below are clouds, magnificent as their endless towers claw towards something beyond the sky itself. Mountain wilderness is absent of mankind's tells, and the silence echoes through the range. On the edge of the man's perception is a town, right at the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Write_the_Write_way (United States) published:

The Flag Waving

PROMPT: This I Believe

I am not a Buddhist, and I yet live so much as such.
    My mind is tortured with beeping machines exploiting barriers
which emerged form the system that is giddy looking on at my agonizing scene.
How obscene,
it was,
when I tasted a copper blood that I knew was rushing about-
an abnormal anatomy
from practised on an unwilling participant.

They have blurred the inner linings of my true heritage,
and everything seems like a dream,
I...

3

AcetheticallyPleasing (United States) published:

Dream Louder

PROMPT: This I Believe

Why do we think that just because we wake up, we have to stop dreaming? Call them what you will- fantasies, fairy tales, thoughts, hopes, wishes- they're all beauties. 

When we're young, we're told to dream as much as we possibly can, and to never grow up. But most of us don't realize how important those lines are, and we try to grow up faster than we should. Once we're older, we all wish we could've understood how good we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

pencils.and.paper.roses (United States) published:

What Do I Believe?

PROMPT: This I Believe

I believe in the hope of heaven,
God smiling down on us,
inviting us to his table
and to his home.

I believe in true love,
eyes meeting
hands touching,
two souls
becoming one.

I believe in craziness,
the ones who share
the fantasies of their souls
and announce their ideas
without a thought.

I believe in somehow changing the world
a thing that comes to mind miraculously
and makes a difference
in the lives
of millions.

I believe.

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PureHeart (United Kingdom) published:

Kill Them With Kindness

PROMPT: This I Believe

'But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ forgave you.' ~ Ephesians 4:32

It's hard to be kind all the time. Especially since we are all imperfect. Considering what some people are like today - arrogant, ignorant, selfish - sometimes you may wonder if it's even worth the effort to show kindness. 

Well, it is. 

Showing kindness, especially to the people who perhaps don't deserve it, can really make a...

Seeking Peer Reviews