All writing published for Creative Nonfiction Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

25

poetri (United States) published:

For my cousins--

PROMPT: Creative Nonfiction Competition 2020

My mom's best friend is Becky. I could have called her Miss Becky or Mrs. C, but after a summer day of driving down the beltway and me showing her, from the passenger seat of her twelve passenger van, which ukulele chords I could play on repeat, she christened me a class act and herself as my cool aunt. She's been Aunt B to me and my siblings ever since, but I always take a secret pride in knowing she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

16

dahlia (United States) published:

reiterations

In Chinese, we repeat words over and over. For example:『吃饭饭』¹,an auntie or elder would coo to a child;『加一点点』²,when measuring out teaspoons of spices, or the phrase I grow to love the most: 『爱爱我,吧』³。Love me, twice over. 

We don’t always appreciate what we don’t understand. In the first home video I find on my father’s grainy Nikon, I am thirteen. Mother and daughter head-to-head in the kitchen, both faces blurry and contorted. The daughter saying, “Why? Mom, why do you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

SunV (India) published:

The Small Things

The lockdown didn't affect me.

March 15th was the first day I truly understood the impact of Coronavirus on the world. My final three exams were cancelled, I was stuck staring at the same four walls for an indefinite amount of time. I didn't have violin class anymore, nor did I have piano or drawing. It was all gone. It felt like a supernova. There was everything, then nothing.

But the lockdown still didn't affect me.

I didn't feel any...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Matthew De La Rosa (United States) published:

Power of a Pandemic

When this pandemic first started, no one could fathom what was to come. I remember the weeks before spring break, we had just heard whispers and rumors of a disease in Wuhan. There were jokes and comments on it but no one was worried. My biology teacher even reassured us that everything would be fine. Then, students were delighted to hear that we had received an extra week of spring break. When we went home on that Friday...

Ziggy_StarChild(Lee) (United States) published:

The Predicament of a Pandemic

It’s cold like winter ice, yet it’s summer with the smoke of raging fires in the air. Engulfing flames that wipe out such beautiful things, such beautiful creatures. But with pain and hurt and destruction comes new life. We become reborn from the ashes like a phoenix. My dear friend in which is my neighbor next door, fell ill from this disastrous like wannabe plague that we know as COVID-19. She is 80 years old and over the summer we...

Max Williams (United States) published:

Sister Lost

She was gone. Jack could have sworn his sister was right next to him. Jack asks a man “Hi sir have you seen a little girl about, ye high with brown darkish hear”. “No” the man says. Jack continues searching for his sister in the crowded streets of New York. “Moms gonna kill me!”. Jack says frustratingly. “All I had to do was just watch her”. Jack quietly says to him self in self pity. Mom starts calling Jacks phone. “Oh...
Seeking Peer Reviews

45

jun lei (United States) published:

不要回头看 // don't look back

Sometimes, I think that transformation is a euphemism for death. A flower withers so the fruit may bloom. Caterpillar becomes pupa becomes butterfly. And I, burning for breath in the Guangzhou airport after the adoption goes through. Spasming at the terminal, slipping into a coma on the flight. My lashes flicker like dying lights, and I grow still when wheels touch American runways. Fire flares from friction, the plane a phoenix and I tangled in its entrails: split its skin...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Cassie15 (United States) published:

My 2020

As my year starts off with me working with my new show steer, it all seems pretty normal. Gilberto was the name of my steer for the summer. I thought I was pretty funny to give him such a silly name. Gilberto’s first show of the 2020 season was the open show in Mitchell, we brought him and two heifers. They placed decently in their classes. 
As the second show of 2020 was coming up I worked harder with Gilberto...

2

Rain&InkStains (Canada) published:

Social Distancing

“Salut, tout le monde!”
It’s disconcerting, to say the least, to be teaching French through a computer screen.
Late March, when quarantine was first imposed, my third-grade tutees would wave to me from their webcams. But by June, the awkwardness of being perpetually on camera set in, and I was left explaining le passé composé to a blank screen.
So this was self-isolation.
I rambled on and on to myself in French, for 45 minutes, when I ended the...

Rain&InkStains (Canada) published:

Social Distancing

“Salut, tout le monde!”
So this was self-isolation.

Rain&InkStains (Canada) published:

Social Distancing

“Salut, tout le monde!”
So this was self-isolation.

1

sese (United States) published:

The Anguishes Within

I have dealt with mental grievances since I could remember. Every day was a battle, clueless to the outcome of its gore. I was holding on for dear life, as my intrusive thoughts became louder and louder each day. Towards the beginning of 2020, I thought this internal war would cease to exist, as I was slowly becoming the person I wanted to be, forcing myself to not succumb to the perils within. However, I was struck with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

kb2005 (United States) published:

My Greatest Fear

The view over the side of the slope is indiscernible to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

kuripa.23 (Turkey) published:

White Bright Hospital Light

White Bright Hospital Light
             When I opened my eyes I was looking at a white and very bright hospital light. The last thing I remember from that night was my mom running towards me. Totally blacked out night for me. My mom later told me that my eyes were open but my pulse was very slow and I was breathing very heavily. I lost my consciousness.
              During my whole life, I had been such a naughty kid who still has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ashley Hall (United States) published:

Testing Positive

March 13th, 2020. I sneak my phone under the table in math class; my phone starts to scream notifications. “SCHOOL CANCELLED FOR 2 WEEKS DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC”, Could this be true? About 20 seconds later, our principal makes an announcement that school will be closed. It was like you could hear every person’s heart in that room start thumping at 500 miles per hour. I walk out to the hallway and every ten lockers, there is someone crying. In my head I am thinking, why are these people crying, we’re on vacay?! Little did I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ashley Hall (United States) published:

Testing Positive

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Luminescent (Canada) published:

What A Suburban Boy Does When It Rains

Vulnerability. God, I hate that feeling. It’s the reason I’ve been suppressing my emotions over the years. It’s the reason my friends don’t truly know me. It’s why I don’t cry. I’ve practiced holding it in so much for so long that even if I did want to cry, I couldn’t. It’s too hard. And I hate the feeling of being stripped, standing exposed in the rain. But it poured this year. And I wasn't ready.

April 2020. Beans....

2

In Which Yaya Writes (United States) published:

Hi, Best Friend

I sit on an airplane, all by myself. All the other passengers have picked up their trash, brushed crumbs off their shirts, fixed their masks, struggled to get their suitcases out of the overhead compartment, and shimmied down the narrow aisle, trying desperately not to hit another flyer with their bags. The single flight attendant’s seat is in front of me, next to a microwave or something of that sort. I am waiting for the flight attendant; my backpack sits...

11

Tula.S (Cuba) published:

Buena Vista Social Club

i.
    The road was hot like a long black stove, and it was cooking the line for chicken. I moved to the grass, cool and wet with dew, where our neighbors D. and R. were speculating over when yogurt would be in stock again. D. always remembered to get us a spot in line at the bodega, especially when they were selling chicken; but since March we’d only had it once, and that was only because my aunt...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

sabey (United States) published:

Jump

Her feet curled against the cool jetted cliff. As the wind swept through her hair, she found herself overlooking a modern oasis in New Jersey, hidden amongst a hiking trail. As the soft music of the ukulele played, she contemplated the very fate that brought her to the cliffside, and for the first time in months, the world seemed normal again. 
    March 13th marked the beginning of a never ending loop for Sarah. The old way...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emma Mungle (United States) published:

The Effect 2020 Has Had On Me

I think we can all agree 2020 has been a bizarre year. From coronavirus coming into the United States and our world having to adjust to a new normal, this year has been one of the craziest experiences by far. I have had to give up a lot of activities and special privileges this year, including my last year of middle school before moving into high school. I have made the best of 2020 by using one of my greatest...

1

A. Penderwick (United States) published:

A Missed Out Bat Mitzvah

My bat mitzvah was right around the time that Covid-19 struck. The service was going to be the first weekend of Spring Break. I'd been working on this for a while; meeting with my Hebrew tutor every week at Starbucks, practicing the prayers whenever I had time, and talking with the Rabbi about my torah portion. It had been a lot of work, but I'd really enjoyed it. RSVPs had been flowing in since January, and I was checking in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

12

A Certain Type of Decisive (United States) published:

A Death, an Orange Tree, and an Empty-Eyed Sentimentalist

I found his corpse on the stairs. I've always heard that bodies are stiff, empty-- but I guess it was hard to tell with a fish. Clifford's eyes didn't look any different. They were just as distant as they always were, but the dull grey color of his scales were enough to activate some long dormant instinct in my brain-- death
    I almost vomited when I picked him up. The dust that had settled around his small...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Minvra (United States) published:

Another Community Another World

"Video games are a waste of time," someone says. A dark oily feel slinks at the pit of my stomach whenever I'd hear video games contributing to the depression spike. It has a correlation to the spike, but the causes of it feels neglected. In the Age of Information, internet and video games are everywhere. It probes many people's hearts; myself included. 

Looking back, if there's one good thing about having older brothers; it's a free game console. I'd first been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

ImnFlitch (Philippines) published:

Maling Akala: From the Mac with Love

"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about."

Margaret Wheatley best describes our current situation in her quote and I'm inclined to agree with her.

However, rewind to the start of 2020, and I'd call that a fantasy. I was socially isolated, and I wasn't given any choice. I didn't believe in the power of communities.

Back then, I'd surf through Facebook on my Dad's MacBook Air, with Twitter on another tab and...

Seeking Peer Reviews