All writing published for The Drabble

Published writing

Cíaralo321 (Ireland) published:

A Beautiful Night

PROMPT: The Drabble

I close up shop, wondering the time as my phone has gone dead. I look up and the see the moon. It’s unusually big and shining bright, and is such a beautiful sight. I never usually take notice to things of mother nature, as I’m usually just too busy to appreciate the things around us, but as I stare up at the moon I’m fully mesmerized by it, unable to look anywhere else. And that’s when I see the moon,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 11 hours ago

12

Avril (Canada) published:

For Her Sake

PROMPT: The Drabble

Her milk dried up long before her tears did.
She cried at the laundromat, sitting behind the counter and wiping her eyes whenever the bell jingled over the door. She cried on her walk home, with her head bent, watching her tattered converse shoes take step after step on the sidewalk.
And it was only when she arrived at the dirty apartment, a one-room home that was better than the streets, that she remembered why she gave her baby away. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

7

Ava Marie (Canada) published:

Writers Block (edited)

PROMPT: The Drabble

The words seem to flow effortlessly from your fingertips; the almost overwhelming rush of ideas inside begging to become one with the empty space of your paper.
    Typing as fast as you can, stringing together a blissfully brilliant plot made up of the combination of letters and punctuation. There's character development, conflict, tastefully placed metaphors, everything you'd ever want in a story. 
Then it stops. The hourglass filled with all your grains of ideas slowly filter down the tunnel from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

1

EllingtonStone (United States) published:

A Bird and a Flower

PROMPT: The Drabble

A sign of a new day, new hope.
    Just a bird, a bird and a flower. 
    Dancing through the branches, flickering. Movement scattering sunlight into splotches of color on the ground. Shadows shifting. Sweet smelling summer mornings. Grass still wet with beads of water. Feathered wings glinting as the sun rises. 
    Red.
    Orange.
    Pink.
    No city noises, only chirping in the air. The breeze stops. For a moment, there's quiet. No wind, just stillness. A miracle. A sign....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

4

Emily Wasp (United States) published:

You Were Never Here, So How Come I Miss You?

PROMPT: The Drabble

I walked down the dock, cold wind lapping at my knees, pressing my skirt up against my thighs. I hadn't expected a moment like this to come so soon, but here it was. I looked down at the paper boat I was cradling in my arms, then over my shoulder at my sister. It was sad to think that there may never be a third to share moments like this with. I set the boat down on the water, my...

3

Josie Birdyyy (Australia) published:

Staring at the Stars

PROMPT: The Drabble

The waves lapped against my ankles as I stared off into the open ocean. I could hear the buzz of thousands of fireflies around me, their luminescent glow reflecting fragmented patterns on the shore. As I felt the sand beneath my toes and lifted my head to the sky. A blaze of colour shot across the inky blackness. From red to blue, from pink to yellow, from purple to green. I gazed in awe at the sky, I had never...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

TerenNeret (Malaysia) published:

the winner takes it all

PROMPT: The Drabble

This is it. The crystalline moment every teardrop and cough drop was for. Every midnight vocal lesson and three hour rehearsal under the blinding eye of the producers and her mother. She has nothing left to give, her battered mind an echo chamber refracting praise and hate. You've outdone yourself this time. But did she outshine the others? Her hands go clammy in the other contestants' weak grasp. A hollow show of solidarity. It's her or them. It has to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

aftergløw [#words] (United States) published:

my darkest voices

PROMPT: The Drabble

Dear [name redacted],

I've been meaning to ask: will you walk the paths we used to take? Will you remember the promise I'd made you? Will you find someone else, while I'm gone?

How do I relieve this pain?

Do I blame everything on fate? Or the pandemic?

Do you think my heart will still be broken, years from now?

I love you, and always have. But I'll never see you again.

Just when I thought you were mine, we...
Seeking Peer Reviews

4

alyanna (Philippines) published:

"visible"

PROMPT: The Drabble

Sometimes, he wanted to disappear. To run away from society’s unrealistic expectations; to vanish into the blue. He’d join a monastery, perhaps, or become a hermit.

Now he stood in front of the refreshments stand, drink in hand, as a nobleman raved on about some taxation law that his father had passed. 

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair, wishing for the umpteenth time that the ground would swallow him up. 

He excused himself, walking away. The crowd...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ye_Old_Fountain_Pen (United States) published:

VHS Days

PROMPT: The Drabble

Remember the VHS tapes? Those dark plastic rectangles that made a racket when you dropped them, squealed when you rewound them? I think about them a lot. And DVDs, I remember how wonderful it was when they took the place of tapes, how glorious it was to hear those blocky things clatter in the garbage can as we threw them away. But oh, what I'd give to rewind. What I'd give to go back to those VHS days. 
   ...

1

HeyThereRose (United Kingdom) published:

starlight

PROMPT: The Drabble

purple eyes and blue skin and hair the colour of setting sun. tangled limbs and shaky steps and the stench of burning rubble. the girl, the creature, the thing, followed me like a lamb to slaughter. eyes wide, so very wide. in that moment i wished i had a choice. yet i had always been weak, and my masters words were steel. we sat in a van, hands touching, her, it, still, so very trusting. purple eyes, blue skin, hair...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Avril (Canada) published:

For Her Sake

PROMPT: The Drabble

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

FaithL4Christ (United States) published:

10 x 10 =. . .

PROMPT: The Drabble

The paper stared at me. Numbers, equations, even roots demanded answers. My fingers grew stiff as my pencil twitched nervously in my hand.

10 x 10 = . . .window. done.

"Adelaide, shouldn't you be completing your examination?" My teacher's voice destroys my coolest answer yet.

"Addy, Miss Cunt. And yes, I'm working."

"Then your eyes should be on your paper, not the window." 

Ugh. "Yes'm."  Gulp. maybe she didn't hear that.

"Adelaide! 'Yes ma'am' is the proper-
...

6

starlight

PROMPT: The Drabble

the girl lay on the grass staring at the stars. she fancied they stared back at her. she had never been a normal child; 'head-in-the-clouds' her mother said, 'delusional' sneered her sister, 'a chime child', said her father. 'a fairy', said the boy who sat two metres away, watching her sigh to the moon. she didn't mind him; he was quiet, and his eyes were bright. he wrote her a poem, years ago, a bad poem. yet she kept it....

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Luna Park (Australia) published:

Fish out of water

PROMPT: The Drabble

I look around in confusion. I am lost. Not in foreign land, but I am lost in sea of unfamiliar faces. I scan the crowd desperately for a person I can trust- someone who can get me out of this mess. I pinch myself, hoping this is only dream, hoping to escape this chaos. But all I see are strangers, pushing and shoving each other, and I can only be tossed around like a boat in the churning water. Maybe...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Narnia Zelda (United States) published:

Lost

PROMPT: The Drabble

She walks alone, nowhere to go. Her heart is pounding and she can't seem to keep pushing forward. After ten days, she collapses onto the ground pleading for help. It's cold and dark, she has nowhere to go. When she stands up after a restless sleep, she starts to panic. Where am I? She wonders. She takes in her surroundings- trees and dirt. She picks a stick and writes her name- Rachellia. She walks a few more miles and...

5

The Elephant In The Room (Israel) published:

Your Top Songs 2020

PROMPT: The Drabble

You ruined my Spotify wrapped, and the worst part is that I let you.

I found your playlist. it wasn't to hard. It looked like you were a classics kind of guy. Radiohead, the smiths. 

I always was more the indie type. I liked bands that started from a bottom and have a lot of work before they get out of there.

I realized  you're probably more of a music guy, while I'm more of a lyrics person.

So I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Moriane (Australia) published:

The Code

PROMPT: The Drabble

"Okay," I said. "Ham, eggs, lemonade and pizza. That's it?"

"Yes." My mother's voice warbled over my car speaker. "You'll be home soon?" She said hopefully.

"In an hour."

"Can't you be back sooner?" she said, disappointed. Her tone was strange. Distracted. Fearful, almost.

"Is... everything okay?"

"Yes, yes," she said hurriedly. "Remember to get ham, eggs, lemonade and pizza."

The line went dead.

...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

starlight

PROMPT: The Drabble

purple eyes and blue skin and hair the colour of setting sun. tangled limbs and shaky steps and fire on the forest floor. the girl, the creature, the thing, followed me like lamb to slaughter. eyes wide, so very wide. in that moment i wished i had a choice. yet the threat above my head and the promise of freedom shimmered persuasively. we sat in a van, hands touching, her, it, still so, so trusting. purple eyes, blue skin, hair...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Coeur (United States) published:

Pandemonium (2) -Dapple in Dappled Suds

PROMPT: The Drabble

The water seeped into my palms, cracking them and turning the skin red. Jackie, my uncreatively named jackalope, was sitting on the counter staring out the window. 
      "You should tell Jackie that he's not coming back." A thud resounded through the small kitchen as my sister leaned against the door frame.
    "He might come back." 
    "As if. They never do. Not even injured. Not even in pieces. They just--vanish. We can't...

Seeking Peer Reviews

13

Dmoral (United States) published:

Dear, Mother

PROMPT: The Drabble

There was a chalk handprint on your coveralls, I remember taking in your smile when you saw the blue powder on my hand. And you always smelled like lavender soap and sunshine, you were the prettiest person in the world, I knew instantly. Nothing's changed since then, except your hair stops before your ears and it's not a surprise if you forget my name. But I don't blame you for aging, it's not your fault but times. So I hope...
Seeking Peer Reviews

7
1

Ava Marie (Canada) published:

Writers Block (edited)

PROMPT: The Drabble

The words seem to flow effortlessly from your fingertips; the rush of ideas in your head begging to be released onto the empty space of your paper. 
You type as fast as you can, stringing together a brilliant plot made up of the combination of letters and punctuation. There's character development, conflict, tastefully placed metaphors, everything you'd ever want in a story. 
Then it stops. The hourglass filled with all your grains of ideas slowly filters down the tunnel from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Gracie-poo published:

BOB

PROMPT: The Drabble

Long ago in a kingdom far away, there was a stupendous king named Bob, who was fighting in a war.Bob lost the war and went to the jungle due to disappointment. He decided to never come back. One day he saw a spider making a web. He sat there and examined it. The spider failed to make his wed, but after multiple tries he finally got it. This tough bob an excellence lesson. He learned that success can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Booklover12 (Canada) published:

The Darkness

PROMPT: The Drabble

The girl awoke. There was nothing but darkness. 
It called to her.
Memories began to fill her mind, memories full of sadness, full of pain. She fought, every memory hurting more than the last.
She stopped. 
The more she embraced the darkness, the more the pain eased. The girl knew that there would be no going back. She accepted it.
Different memories filled her head. Memories full of happiness, full of love. She missed those feelings, she didn't want this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Not Eddie Zeng (New Zealand) published:

[100 words] somewhere else

PROMPT: The Drabble

I want to run away. In the venerable succession of humanity runs change. Those pleasures sustained by the living spring from change embraced by the dead and I want to change and run away. The air waxes stagnant and stifles me. Specters of the future stalk me in the mist and they will eat me up if I don't run away. Soon I will be in a place whose air is still young. For a time, it will suffer me...

Seeking Peer Reviews