All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

Ella Wieliczko (New Zealand) published:

Wilbur’s Book Store

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Stay close darling, don’t wander too far!”
My mother’s words call after me as I scurry away. They chase me down the cobblestone path, past coffee shops, and street performers. They chase me all the way to an old bookshop on Moonburies lane. 

“Wilbur’s Book Store” the sign reads. 

I rub some frost off the window and peer inside to get a better look. It is a small shop, but it still contains at least a hundred books. Tall oak...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ella Wieliczko (New Zealand) published:

Wilbur’s Book Store

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Wilbur’s Book Store

“Wilbur’s Book Store” the sign reads. 

I rub some frost off the window and peer inside to get a better look. It is a small shop, but it still contains at least a hundred...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ryan05 (Australia) published:

The Crying of the Crow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Pits pinched the bridge of his nose. Slumped over his desk in the station, coffee cups were beginning to crowd the table. Nine days and still no leads on the Jack Miller case. Pits couldn’t remember the last time he’d had a decent sleep. Not with Cassidy just starting primary school and this doozy of a brain stumper. He had sent Bryce to look over Jack’s house for some peace and quiet. Sometimes his non stop chatter really wore Pits...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Ryan05 (Australia) published:

The Crying of the Crow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Liliana C. (United States) published:

Switching Identities (REVIEW FOR REVIEW!!!)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The radiant sun beamed across the sky, reflecting Josie's mood as she tore through the bustling crowds of people, her bare feet slapping against the hard, concrete ground. Nobody seemed to notice her, for the streets of downtown San Jose were always uneventful as always. Nor the furious honks of cars as they speed by the roads or the smoke-filled air seemed to disturb her excitement. She had just laughed freely like an angel, and continued on and on. Not...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Wisp (United States) published:

The Passing of Cherry Blossoms

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"Baba¹! Baba!" I call, running towards him. 
    "Yua!" Baba's face lights up as he sets his cane down and spins me around in the air. Merriment and joy lines his face, as wrinkles etch stories into his skin. 
    The two of us spin around until the world blurs together, our laughter tinkling together like ringing bells. 
    "Tell me the tale of Uba-zakura
again Baba," I say, watching as the cherry blossoms fall. They flutter in the wind,...

1

Aisha Shaikh (Canada) published:

One Great Idea

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Renée’s parents always scolded her for being impulsive but, she’d insist she was ‘cursed’ for not recognizing a terrible idea. As an adult, nothing changed. It seemed brilliant at first as a farmer to raise wild animals along with her hens. Although, animals notoriously nicknamed as masked bandits were clearly a red flag...

“Izza!” Renée calls to the blonde carpenter while entering her workshop. “About that raccoon hutch you built. Last night, they all escaped and broke into my house!”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Aisha Shaikh (Canada) published:

One Great Idea

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

rosemarywisdom (Singapore) published:

skylarks over sunrays

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

There was a myth, Torren remembered, one that had been told and retold for centuries amongst his people.

Seeking both discovery and liberation, a father and his son craft an apparatus to take to the skies like majestic falcons or powerful eagles, golden feathers glinting in the early morning light, carried away to new heights on the winds of pure chance. But as freedom is always fickle, the father warned his son not to succumb to it, and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Canary818 (Singapore) published:

The Girl Who Never Forgot

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ignorance is bliss?

This phrase has always resonated with Mira. When the trauma in life is too much for a person to handle, would it be better for him to forget, and live as nothing had ever happened? Or should he muster up the mental strength to face his grief head on?

She wondered while waiting in a large lab facility, which she would regularly visit for the entire 12 years of her life.

She was sitting on a long...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

musicmaker (United States) published:

The Real-Life Nightmare

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The familiar feeling of helplessness returned as I ran through the burning house. I ran up the stairs, searching for any signs that the little girl might still be in here.
            I reached the top of the stairs and ran quickly through the halls, checking room after room, in search of the child.
            “Victoria!” I yelled, as loudly as my burning lungs permitted.
            “Help!” I heard a hoarse voice croak back, barely loud enough to hear. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

8

anemoia by a thread (United States) published:

The Things Which Can Happen in a Bookstore

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He was starving. Deprived. He needed books like a heroin junkie needed a hit.
    Never had he felt so desperate for black typeface on paper. For those written enchantments. For the inexplicable warmth that emanated from the pages. Reminding him who he was and giving life to dreams of who he might become.
    His legs changed from walking to jogging without consulting him first. White Converse thudded against leaf shadows on the sidewalk. Books for the Soul felt infinitely far....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Liliana C. (United States) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

ellachristina (Ireland) published:

My Heart Bleeds

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I can’t stand the smell of them.

I stand in the garden – her garden – surrounded by her flowers and their thick, sweet scent. It’s everywhere. I can feel it in my hair, on my skin, in my eyes, burning. It fills my nostrils. 

I wrap my hands around my shoulders, clutching at them, willing myself to walk away. It’s too bright, too beautiful. When I tilt my head towards the sky, the startling blue is an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ridwan Hussain (United States) published:

Life of a Farm Boy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

One by one drifting away, leaves falling never to stay. Witnessing so much throughout their life turning different shades. Unfortunately, It was time to pass away. Falling on warm grass and carried by the wind so the leaves could meet a better end. The tree had shed tears to see her children pass away. The cries of the trees can be heard throughout the night and this was never a beautiful sight. Months and months later, the tree was beautiful...

Seeking Peer Reviews

sandwich_31 (United Kingdom) published:

On The Thrones Of The Surrounding Kingdoms

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The bright glow of the sun washed over the crowds of people, crowds of people making an eager buzz of songs and shouts in a courtyard that looked as though it was built for mother nature to climb on and nothing more. The sun looked on proudly from up in the sky, for even she was delighted to be able to see this event, and so Lady Sun bathed the entire kingdom of Flos Oxford in a sparkling shimmer of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Ai-shah (Singapore) published:

Lonely Enough To Be Lovely

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

~Lonely Enough To Be Lovely by Aishah~ 

That secret must be kill Hyun Soo

Tae Chi was the one most present to deal with the police.

She'd been the one to file a missing person case for Aurora while the family sat in the living room, listening to Tae Chi's trembling voice informing the police about Aurora's absence.

The next couple of days saw their TV playing only news coverage and nothing else. Hyun Soo and the Ji family...
Seeking Peer Reviews

CactusKid (United States) published:

LUX

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

PROLOGUE:
The people around me all have their eyes on the main stage.
We’re all here to get away from the lives we’re attached to. School. Work. Family. Society. Here, none of that matters. Here, I can be lost in the music.
Then, a song I’ve never heard before starts to play.
A lone figure appears. A low murmur goes through the crowd.
“Who’s this? No clue.”
His hat obscures his face, but even so I’ve never seen a performer...

1

jashles (United States) published:

Honey

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Milo rapped on my window the next morning. He smiled at me, cheerily waving me over with his infectious smile. I put on a show of reluctance as I rolled off my poorly made bed and lifted that glass between us.
“Don’t roll your eyes. You know you missed me,” he teased.
“I’ll close this window so fast-”
“Come to Black Sand Beach with me,” he blurted.
“Milo, you know I’m not supposed to hang out with you,” I told...

1
1

BlakeAlexander (United States) published:

Scales of the Sea

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Scales of the Sea

Theodore, a not so simple name for a not so simple man. He lives his life on the sea, the ocean blue mirrors his eyes and the sand of beaches like his hair. Theo finds his stomach growling, almost imitating a whale with the deep vibration. With this problem given to him by mother nature, he grabs a large net and lets it slowly sink to the ocean floor.
    With great speed his...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

musicmaker (United States) published:

The Real-Life Nightmare

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Victoria!” I yelled as loudly as my burning lungs permitted.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Giselle (New Zealand) published:

NOVEL EXCERPT: page 10 - 12, chapter 2 - sort of submerged

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Olive meets Aspen at the gate to walk home together. She bubbles about her day and Aspen listens and laughs. Her gaze is trained downwards, but her eyes smile-crease at the corners. Home beckons sweetly on these frozen afternoons where everything is shadowed by the mountains. 
    Before they head indoors, they go past the woodshed and collect three logs each. Kneeling on the hearth, Olive arranges the wood in a pyramid while Aspen spreads out a woollen blanket, discarding her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kaci Bielski (United Kingdom) published:

The Girl In The Garden

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A calming breeze passed and the green garden suddenly came to life; the flowers swayed to nature's steady song as petals broke free and danced through the open air. It was truly beautiful. Past the undeniable beauty of nature, I wondered at all of the things that perhaps were not so obvious, perhaps not so beautiful. About the grotesque creatures that lurked beneath the ground, creatures with numerous needle-like legs and many eyes as black as the night in which...

Seeking Peer Reviews

lochnessie (Australia) published:

Fyr (Draft 3) // Review 4 Review

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Wyn trailed one hand across the cracked earth. It left her skin marked with a fine, reddish powder, like an ochre pencil. The spidery fissures shifted slightly beneath her feet,  a feeble greeting from her broken land. Wyn felt tears prick at her eyes without falling. Her body knew to save water, she supposed, like all the rest of her did. To conserve, to store, even if it was the tears that threatened to fall at the sight of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Love Latias (United Kingdom) published:

Quiet Days, The Reprocussions of My Mistakes

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Alex peered around the corner of the alleyway, gazing hopefully at the sidewalk. She tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear and nibbled nervously on her nail. She then recoiled at the ray of sun that shone onto her face, reminding her once more that there was now a barrier between her and the world, one which she could no longer step through.
She sighed. It wasn't fair, she thought to herself. She had been a regular kid,...