All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

2

Luciana Scarlet Fernandes (United States) published:

Love At First Fight

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

As the sun rises over the lake once more, the island I call home falls into a deep slumber-hoping to arise the next dusk. The skies above are painted with colors of coral orange and a deep crimson that marks where the sun once set. I shift my sight towards my scarlet haired friend, who is humming a familiar tune- The Phoenix Valor. She has a sense of hope in her tune-one that leads me to believe that we...

1

Molly_ (United Kingdom) published:

The Executioner

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It wasn’t a dark and stormy night.

(On the contrary, it was mild for mid-October, with a high of 17 degrees dropping to 6 around midnight.)

Skulking about a long-forgotten rusted playground upon an even longer-forgotten repurposed graveyard were two demons. They'd been commended for their skulkery; they skulked with purpose, and they skulked with menace. Suddenly one of them stopped, casting a yellow eye to the church upon the hill opposite. 
“I don’t want to do this,” Grigor hissed.  ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Stone of Jade (United States) published:

On the High Seas

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A cool breeze carried the smell of saltwater and seaweed towards Ladell. Colors from all ends of the earth decorated the market. Carts and stands displayed all types of exotic fruits, spices, woven baskets and delicate silks. By mid-afternoon, the square became crowded, overwhelming Ladell's senses, making it difficult to stay alert. As Ladell finished her errands in the market, she felt a strange tingling at the back of her neck. Instinctively, Ladell knew someone was following her, yet she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

PenToPaper (United Kingdom) published:

Lost in the City

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Her head was in the clouds. So high, so white. Until a hard shoulder brought her back down to earth. The bus was heaving with people; mixed scents choking the air with cheap aftershave, nice perfume and the slight scent of smoke. Today, the rain battered the windows with heavy sobs as the last of leaves fell from the branches of crippling trees, ready for the winter to come. She wrapped her red coat tighter around her chest in an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

T.S.Rose (United Kingdom) published:

Shoelaces — An Excerpt From The Novel’s Denouement

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Wednesday

Or was it Saturday? He couldn’t tell. Not anymore.

It was day, almost sunrise — that he knew. 

Cold light shone through the window, through the wisps of limp cotton hanging in front of it, through the stuffy air as it tried to get in the cracks between duvet and mattress. He couldn’t breathe; he didn’t care. Not anymore.

“Da!” Her little voice tiptoed to the bed. “Da, it’s time to go.”

So,...

1

Jo Rejoicing [ChildOfGod] (United States) published:

Violet the Spy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Violet approached the building. “Club for Environmentally Concerned Individuals Fundraiser Dance”, screamed the banner. The enormous guards opened the double doors for her after she showed them her ticket. She dropped a few bills into the donation box, and entered the building, glad to be out of the evening rain.

Quickly, she scanned the large room. About two hundred people were here, eating, drinking, and dancing. A combination of laughter, chattering, and gentle piano music filled the room....
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

AliMuscles04 (United States) published:

Tolerated *Excerpt: Chloe*

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I know something is up almost as soon as I wake up-- I don't know what, but it makes me feel like I need to go downstairs. Downstairs, I see my parents looking at the computer, confuses.
    "What's up?" I ask.
    "Morning, Chloe. We're just checking out this email from your new school," Dad replies.
    "What's it say?" I don't think that I have done anything wrong, I mean, I've only been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jesslyn (Singapore) published:

Be Happy, Bastard

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Everyone, welcome to our merry circus! What fascinating things we’ll be seeing today!” The ringmaster yelled with enthusiasm into the mic he was holding, putting his other hand up in joyous unite with the crowd. The crowd roared in excitement.

“Now, now, let’s not get too excited! Our first act today will be by our humorous clowns! Harry and Avery the clowns, please come to the stage!” Vincent held up an exaggerated pose to signal them to...

7
1

doodleninja (United States) published:

petrichor

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The moment before it rains is always the worst. 
    For a split-second, ground and sky trap me in this in-between of soggy air and nearly wet dirt that clogs my sinuses.  
    I sneeze. 
    I pull my medical mask higher up past my nose, fogging up my glasses in the process, careful to take oxygen through the mouth. One of the downsides to being able to discern cinnamon from citrus a mile away: a delicate olfactory system, easily upset, even by...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Jesslyn (Singapore) published:

Be Happy, Bastard

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jesslyn (Singapore) published:

Be Happy, Bastard

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

2
1

AstroWriter (United States) published:

Running War

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I run away furiously, not looking back. Tears come down faster than gunshots. I already know the only place I ever loved and lived in, is covered in flames. "What are you doing?! Go get her blöd!" I hear. I run in the vast, brown woods hiding from the soldiers. I have been here so many times for hunting prey, but I never came here being the prey. I don't know where my mama, tata and little...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

joely_arrowsmith (United Kingdom) published:

Stranded

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter One
Present

I have always had a love for silence, to be able to sit and close my eyes as the bustling of morning duties go on around me fade out of focus and out of my reach. The blacksmith whistling hello to his wife and his friends cannot be heard, the cooks singing as they fry the early bacon haven’t started yet, the squeals of children begging for a ride on the horses in the stables are...

12
2

BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus) (Australia) published:

Fly with the Angels

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"A n g e l i c a"
A hiss of thinly veiled contempt and spit greeted the ... figure.

"Demon child. There is a new experiment."
He sniffed with an air of uncontrolled snobbery at her unresponsive body. Hunched broken body sitting in the shadowy corner of the closet sized room, she ignored him.

"THERE IS A NEW EXPERIMENT!"
He barked. His patience was gone. He shook slightly. Uneasily wobbling outside the doorway. His lip pouted, and eyes widened....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Fly with the Angels

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"A n g e l i c a"

He sniffed with an air of uncontrolled snobbery at her unresponsive body. Hunched broken body sitting in the shadowy corner of the closet sized room she ignored him.

"THERE IS A NEW EXPERIMENT!"

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

fazdotcom (Singapore) published:

Run Away

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Policemen and guards stood around them, making sure not to make any gaps between each other. The pair’s eyes darted around the whole circle trying to find some way to escape to freedom. We were so close-

“Yet so far away. My, my, what a waste of effort!” Roman turned his head to face the voice, putting one hand in front of Virgil as to protect him from the unknown figure. Virgil looked around to find the voice, panic still...

2

SunV (India) published:

Speak: Prologue

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

She stared at the crowd in front of her. Everyone, every single one of them was on their phones. And she stood on the stage, also on her phone. But she aimed to change this situation before the end of this session. She opened the TedText app on her phone.

"Fourteen years ago" She typed, "I was born. Now, that might be a normal occasion for the most of you, I mean, everyone else here was born sometime ago too...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hunter Haynes (New Zealand) published:

Sun and Moon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Poetic justice. Perhaps that was the saying to describe the sprightly tango the sun and moon wage on a Saturday’s evening before the sun abdicates to his own room, leaving her to rule the night. Siebren rocked back and forth under the twinkle of the stars, the soft cushioning of the grass lightly grasping at his thigh, the fresh perfume of spring delighting his nostrils and the rays of beauty tantalizing his eyes. They say it was the night, but...

2

Fly with the Angels

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"A n g e l i c a"

"THERE IS A NEW EXPERIMENT!"

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sal ! (United Kingdom) published:

Feature Films

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The aisle was stacked with arrays of canned food, metal containers that yelled HALF OFF! and BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE! to anyone that bothered to glance in their direction. Things here came fairly cheap. Garbage quality, absolutely, but still cheap . And anyways, Miguel had never quite seen himself as a gourmet. So, HALF OFF!was one of the few things he couldn’t find any displeasure in. After all, beggars couldn’t be choosers. Way of the world, baby. Way...

4

Kirabrettmann (Singapore) published:

My fight against you

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

First Chapter
I froze as I heard my name echo through the speakers. Blood gushed through my veins leaving a painful prick in my body. I was chosen. I saw eyes upon eyes slowly turning towards me. Gawking at me as if I were a museum peace on display. But not the adored kind of stare; no, a pitiful and horror- filled stare. I tried to look at my best friend, James, for comfort, but he had gotten terribly pale....

WillowFalls42 (Australia) published:

A Writer's Coma

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I tried talking to her, the way I would when we had conversations, except I was yelling. I can choose whether she hears me or not, and right now I really wanted her to hear me. My story is not over and only she can finish it. Sam tried telepathically talking to her, because that's the power she gave him. I've already told him that we exist in her head- and you can't get any closer to her thoughts than...

Seeking Peer Reviews

fazdotcom (Singapore) published:

Run Away

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Neha Ziegs (Singapore) published:

The deadly triangle

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

First Chapter:

I am standing in the booth. I see the names flicker in front of my eyes. I feel my heartbeat quickening and my breath comes out ragged and unsteady. The names start to become slower, slower, slower…
I gasp as I awake from my frightening dream.

“Ugh not this again, these dreams are getting old and anyway our community has been using this matching system for years and it’s never gone wrong.” I mutter to myself.
  ...

1

sophieautenrieth (Singapore) published:

On the Other Side

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter 1

Emily, for once, was happy. Simply happy. Well, mainly. Of course, one can’t be blissfully happy or even veryhappy, when all you have alone is one hour a day. But for the moment, Emily was happy. She bent down and gently plucked a flower of its stem. She turned it this way and that, marveling at the texture of the petals, held it up against the sky to observe the way the dew drops glittered in the...

Seeking Peer Reviews