All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

1

Sunflower50 (United States) published:

The Attraction of Witchcraft

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The city square of Astaden was beautiful . Its sparkling cobblestone streets beckoned on the merry couples who strolled arm in arm, laughing over the lively jazz tunes emitting from a street band on the corner. Gaggles of colorfully dressed ladies hurried past, shopping parcels clutched to their chests, their delighted giggles mixing with the rustles of their full skirts. In the center of the street, an intricately carved carriages paused to let families of finely dressed little children, each...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

simmy.g (United States) published:

Nine Lives

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The sword shrieked as it traveled through the air. Its ring was the clock striking midnight, its blade the hour hand moving toward the dawn of a new day. 

Her skin caved in to the sharpened edge, allowing it to pass through her ribcage and reach her heart. The blade twisted, eliciting a mouthful of blood to crawl up her throat and find its way on the ground before her. 

With an emotionless laugh, she dragged the tips of her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

simmy.g (United States) published:

Nine Lives

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

ellachristina (Ireland) published:

My Heart Bleeds

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I can’t stand the smell of them.

I stand in the garden – her garden – surrounded by her flowers and their thick, sweet scent. It’s everywhere. I can feel it in my hair, on my skin, in my eyes, burning. It fills my nostrils. 

I wrap my hands around my shoulders, clutching at them, willing myself to walk away. It’s too bright, too beautiful. When I tilt my head towards the sky, the startling blue is an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Writing4Life (Australia) published:

Joe's Chisel

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I was only a young boy in the summer of 1952; yet at the time, I thought I was a grown man at 12. Looking back, I laugh at my naiveté. I'm 80 years old, and that golden summer seems so long ago now. But, still, all these decades later, I remember it as if it was yesterday. 

Stillwater was only a small town back then, without all those fancy stores we have nowadays. Yep, Oklahoma was still growing, an'...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

bloop (Hong Kong) published:

to be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

He ran, blood thrumming through his veins, stomach churning, sweat permeating every inch of his clothing.

It was only when he’d reached the edge of the world, the vast black nothingness of the ocean stretched out as far as the eye could see, illuminated by the slumbering sun further down the horizon. The underlying guilt decided to dawn on him with a sudden gush of vitriol, searing away at his conscience, and the adrenaline rush kicked in, the thought of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

bloop (Hong Kong) published:

to be

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Liliana C. (United States) published:

Switching Identities (REVIEW FOR REVIEW!!!)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The radiant sun beamed across the sky, reflecting Josie's mood as she tore through the bustling crowds of people, her bare feet slapping against the hard, concrete ground. Nobody seemed to notice her, for the streets of downtown San Jose were always uneventful as always. Nor the furious honks of cars as they speed by the roads or the smoke-filled air seemed to disturb her excitement. She had just laughed freely like an angel, and continued on and on. Not...

1

Emaan Warraich (United Kingdom) published:

Lemon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

An overripe lemon.
Sitting on the end of a quivering branch, like an omen. There was something so rude, so infuriating about this particular lemon. How dare it? How dare it sit there which such verve, such confidence? Such garish optimism? Its yellowness deeply offended me on that day, the entire world seemed to be concaving in, it felt like the Earth itself had spun out of orbit, The sinews of my flesh were practically dissociating, my own family...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

maryse (United Kingdom) published:

No Time like the Present

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The Crows knew it wasn't an ordinary day, just as they know all things to do with time (though few would ever say it).

There was a breath on the air that morning, as though time itself was rolling, stretching, and yawning awake. That was false, of course. Time was subtle and indomitable, Lear mused. No matter where you exposed the cogs, it never ceased. 
The wind jostled his feathers insistently as it brushed along the remaining palace gables, whistling...
Seeking Peer Reviews

TheSpacePoet (United Kingdom) published:

It's Wonderful, Houston

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

30 years ago, Mary was terrified of space - the way the night sky went on and on, like God Himself had poured a pot of ink onto a blue canvas, made her heart race and her spine tingle. But isn’t it strange how a racing heart and a tingling spine can derive from both panic and prepossessing astonishment? Maybe, all along, Mary wasn’t terrified at all, but deeply flummoxed by space, like looking up into the great unknown somehow...

Seeking Peer Reviews

7
4

In Which Yaya Writes (United States) published:

In Which Les the Possum, Timothy Legonawy, and Trini Abasolo Abel are Caught in an Attic

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

On the first of January 2019, I, Timothy Legonawy was sitting in an attic on Meadowlark Lane in a small town in Northern Tennessee. It was a large house with multiple rooms, beautiful furniture, wonderful décor, and two stories, not including the attic. The Mrs.’s favorite item was- and still is- a large family portrait that hangs above the fireplace.

Mr. Farrington was a broad man with deep brown skin, a black suit and blue tie, a shining, bald head like a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

allisonn (United States) published:

She was the Sun

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Prologue   
  She was the sun. Beaming, vibrant, so bright that it puts the other stars in the sky to shame. Even her name, Alina, was brilliant, and all of her features matched. Long hair, so blonde that it glowed in the sunlight. Grassy eyes that reflected the world. Freckles decorated her perfect skin, like snowflakes on a lawn. And her lips held secrets that she would only spill to him.
    He was the moon. A softer glow, much more...

3

Quiet One (United States) published:

The Expansive World of Nothing

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Streetlamps flickering on,
rain drops pelting the filthy street,
pompous shoppers streaming by, 
cars blaring at one another to move. 

Contrary to popular belief, the life of an orphan wasn't all about singing show-tunes and dancing down the steps towards our new parents.  Nobody cradled your head when you awoke in a cold sweat from nightmares.  Nobody gave you a nice hot chocolate when you were rejected by yet another family.  You learned to rely on one thing: yourself. 

I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AliMuscles04 (United States) published:

Tolerated *Excerpt: Chloe*

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I know something is up almost as soon as I wake up-- I don't know what, but it makes me feel like I need to go downstairs. Downstairs, I see my parents looking at the computer, confused.
    "What's up?" I ask.
    "Morning, Chloe. We're just checking out this email from your new school," Dad replies.
    "What's it say?" I don't think that I have done anything wrong, I mean, I've only been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Teddie Allison (United Kingdom) published:

What a Mistake

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Walking through the streets of frozen people is actually quite calming, sometimes lonely, (which is why I'm glad I can 'turn time back on') but there is nothing more terrifying than seeing a person moving while everyone else is frozen. A girl across the street, just going about her daily life through all the statues, weaving between them and laughing at her phone as she does so. I start to go across the road, between the cars to get to...

1

x.Anonymous.x (United Kingdom) published:

Welcome to my world

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Welcome to my world.

My world is different than yours. How? you ask. Well my world is how I see life. Just me. 
    In this world, there are people like you and me. However, there are differences from every day life. 

You may not know me and I not of know you. 
                        My eyes are the only ones that can see my world and you can see your own.
Nobody...

4
2

Moonsinger (United States) published:

come back to you

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Grandmother’s funeral was last week.
***
    It happened so inconveniently. Dave lost his job, Katherine had just gotten a citation for her third speeding ticket. When the call came, waterlogged news from a second or third cousin, Katherine and Dave sat on the couch together, syncopated by sobs and wet cheeks, side by side, but never touching. 
    I couldn’t bring myself to shed a single tear. I’m like that, I feel the urge to cry,...

It's Wonderful, Houston

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

Quiet One (United States) published:

The Expansive World of Nothing

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Streetlamps flickering on,
rain drops pelting the filthy street,
pompous shoppers streaming by, 
cars blaring at one another to move. 

I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

AirConditioner (United States) published:

The Last Day the Sun Rose

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Jauneice’s pace sped up, as she stepped out of the pasture and onto the road. The forest loomed closer, its vegetation lush and bathed in shadow. It was nestled against the side of the mountains like a dark leech sucking out blood. As she neared, Jauneice expected to feel that cold creeping sensation, or that knife twisting in her gut, but the calm that descended over her was maybe even worse, purely for its unexpectedness. It brought with it a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

midnight.summerrose (United Kingdom) published:

Happiness Before Your Death Date

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Her descent to Earth held the light from a thousand stars. She left a rainbow trail behind her as she came down to Earth.

God spoke. ‘Time to fulfill your destiny’.
When past meets present and present meets future, an angel will achieve her destiny. She had been waiting for this day her whole existence; ever since she died at the age of 16 and became an angel. Would she succeed? What would Earth be like after all of this...
Seeking Peer Reviews

NM_ (South Africa) published:

Impending Change

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I remain unable to fully comprehend the nature of my father’s love for me. This is coupled by the fact that I have no other recollection of love, and thus, no other association with the concept. I have never experienced the soft, warm and affectionate nature of a mother’s love, or the freeing, sensual, unpragmatic and all-consuming love which one experiences as they plunge into the depths of irrational infatuation with another human being; I have never had such an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Colemana (United Kingdom) published:

The Doctor Will See You Now

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Dr. Noah Hudson glanced at his home whilst he opened the boot of his blue Aston Martin and flung his coat and briefcase inside, delighting in the momentary catch of the closing mechanism as he swung it closed. The house’s many frontal windows glinted in the rise of the mid-autumn sun and, assured that no one had seen his routine locking of the alarm system, dropped himself into the driver’s seat, making circular motions around the leather of the steering...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PhoenixLopez (United States) published:

Survive Just Survive

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Running through the forest I tried to look for my friends. But it was no use, I think they're dead.  I hid behind a tree to catch my breath. I have no idea how long I've been running for but I just need a break. I look around and it seems like I lost the killer. Just as I was about to run back to the road everything went black and I slipped into the darkness. You are probably wondering...