All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

Amani (United States) published:

Melt (Review for Review)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“We should do something fun today,” Chris said, parking the car in the garage of her Aunt Daph’s ice cream shop,  Ice Cream Komes

"Absolutely not. Last time we ‘did something fun’, I almost got fired.", I replied, closing the car door carefully behind me. 

"That's true, but, I got you this job Ellie, and I cover your shifts all the time. You haven't even heard what I want to do."

"Fine”, I rolled my eyes. “What...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

Huba Huba (United States) published:

Igniting

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"An angel slumps her shoulders, wanes her head over, and breaks down. Her composure is no longer there, her waving, golden hair is thrown over her face that leaks burning tears that the glass of her eyes could no longer hold. The sadness, the emotion of the picture I'm seeing through my eyes.. is perfection." thought K209. "Why do the ones we were meant to replicate try so hard to achieve their twisted views of perfection? I'd die of...

4

Coeur (United States) published:

Nothing Happens in Small Towns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Marina flattened her fingertips against concrete. Sunlight reflected on her mulberry nails. One beam winked across the gem on her middle finger. It was almost enough to blind someone. Bite marks littered Cal's plain nails. She'd clenched the lip of the pool hard enough to turn her knuckles as red as Marina's sunburned nose. Both girls hung off the pool. Unfinished stones bordering the edge bit into their underarms. They hardly noticed. The scent of summer lilacs, chlorine, and hot-dogs...

Coeur (United States) published:

Nothing Happens in Small Towns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Coeur (United States) published:

Nothing Happens in Small Towns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

2

hminn (Canada) published:

Driftwood

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

THE WORLD IS TEARING ITSELF APART!

This was the front page headline in the newspaper Ria held. Indeed, Ria was no stranger to the earthquakes that had disturbed her town of Nethermere lately. Apparently they were happening all over the world. There were reports of earthquakes in the wine-rich lands of Elatauros, causing statues and pillars to crumble, and to the West, near Lordshill and the lands of the Inagarri, there were reports of stampedes caused by the shuddering ground....

hminn (Canada) published:

Driftwood

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

THE WORLD IS TEARING ITSELF APART!

desirablerouble (Canada) published:

Trust The Nightmares

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter One: The Nightmares 

Location: ??? Time: ??:?? Date: ??/??/2016

“Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares.” 
Aman Jassal, Rainbow - the shades of love

If a human being had the politeness to ask her how she was feeling, Akiko would have screamed at their face. In that moment of confusion, however, she could only think about why the world was so cruel to her. Akiko Amaterasu had somehow ended up back in Japan,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hminn (Canada) published:

Driftwood

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

THE WORLD IS TEARING ITSELF APART!

Seeking Peer Reviews

minxuan.soh (Singapore) published:

The Skies are Calling - Chapter one

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"Are you coming now or not?", he calls, not facing me, but a steep cliff overlooking the sea. I grin, not being able to resist his beckoning. Picking up speed, I run with him, fleeing all thoughts and negative emotions. All I feel is freedom. His deep chuckle sounds from his lips, but I know it truly comes from his heart. I link my hands with his and together, we jump. Below us, there is nothing to break our fall,...

1

Abigail Faith (United States) published:

Sara (excerpt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Raindrops fell in her hair, and on her face. They rolled down her cheeks, and washed away the salty tears. The streets were quiet, except for the patter of the rain, and the splashing of her shoes falling on the wet stone. Sara's breath was long, and soft, floating out into the cold air. 
Essie had warned her to stay near the house, but Sara could not. 
She did not want to see the tired, frail body of whom she was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

ol1ver333 (Canada) published:

Excerpt from 'Fool's Gambit'

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

There was a restless, anticipatory energy in the air. Aren had been on edge throughout his morning classes, only half paying attention to the tutor as she’d pointedly cleared her throat and tapped the rosewood desk with onyx claws. Ruith had come to fetch him around sunhigh, and they’d walked to the grand hall together. His mother’s second-in-command was tall and imposing, clad in dark armour and a heavy cloak. Their footfalls were silent as they walked through the undergrowth. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

41

A.Y. Lyreni (Australia) published:

The Floating Anchor

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Soo-mi pulled the cumbersome rowboat towards the unlit ocean, the thunder of waves overwhelming the silence before the dawn. She heaved herself onto the boat, grabbed the oars, and started beating against the rough, early morning waters. She would not have had to bring the beaten boat back to life, rendering her already tired, old arms, sore, if the new motorboat had not blown its engine that morning with an embarrassing splutter.

As a Haenyeo, a Korean sea-woman, her...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ColorsofBeautys (United States) published:

The Song of Our Hearts

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The day was vigorous with the robins aloft the boughs of the fir trees, chirping their sweet melody, and the rabbits and squirrels, dots of grey and brown were scurrying across the forest floor. Today I was glad to take a stroll through the forest, up before the rest of my family, sniffing the pine smells from the pine trees, and as I edged towards the pastures beyond the woods, the smell of the morning dew came to...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

V-Rose (United States) published:

Death's Tales

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I went to the library after my classes to do some research. I always do, but I ended up staring at a black screen while the librarian worked silently. Madam Graecia had told me when I was little that the best way to learn was to look it up. Of course, she meant in a book, but... I happened to have a strong dislike for books. And we have computers for a reason.

The thing is, I never knew what...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Stone of Jade (United States) published:

On the High Seas

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A cool breeze carried the smell of saltwater and seaweed towards Ladell. Colors from all ends of the earth decorated the market. Carts and stands displayed all types of exotic fruits, spices, woven baskets and delicate silks. By mid-afternoon, the square became crowded, overwhelming Ladell's senses, making it difficult to stay alert. As Ladell finished her errands in the market, she felt a strange tingling at the back of her neck. Instinctively, Ladell knew someone was following her, yet she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rome (United States) published:

The Earth

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Let me out, please. I’d rather not be here. That’s all that matters: what I think. I don’t want to be here. Please.”

“I don’t think I can.”

He scrambled forward, fell off his bed into a pile, and then scrambled on his knees again to the bars. “Please. It’s no trouble. Just...get the door.”

He pulled and pushed at the bars but nothing happened. I looked closer and saw that there were no doors. Only the bars, straight up...

Juliaa (United States) published:

The Apple Tree

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“Get packing! We’re going!” Dad slurred.
“Where?” Jenni asked, shifting away from the dangerous smell of beer on his breath.
“Can’t afford this apartment anymore. Get it cleaned up, I’m going out.” he mumbled, grabbed his wallet, and slammed the front door. Jenni didn’t think much of that; Dad wasn’t all there when drunk,
Everyday, Aidy and Jenni returned to meet Anatole. Jenni finally had a place where she felt safe, in their little green shrub.
One day, Aidy and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10

tas (yellowbrickrd) (Australia) published:

Migrations

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Dusty went missing yesterday. I always felt sad seeing the Lost posters fluttering on the telephone poles, imagining the poor creatures stumbling through the island’s wilderness or flattened by the side of a road. However, I always took comfort in the fact that that would never be Dusty. I’d taught him to bring in the newspaper and sit beside his water bowl when it was empty. But here I stand, taping him to the pole over Coral the cat who's...

3

.amelia. (Singapore) published:

1.5 - Forbidden Library

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Was it a good idea?

Probably not.

Late-night venturing never ended well.

Still, Tara stayed, to peer through the glass and marvel at the glorious library.

Honey-coloured lights trickling down walls and shelves, gathering in golden pools across polished surfaces. Rosewood tables nestled with velvet chair around a statue bathed in ocean blue sapphires. And far behind the tables were mazes of shelves, standing like hegdes among a garden of knowledge.

Tara gingerly tapped the glass, disintegrating it into...

Seeking Peer Reviews

RobynLikeTheBird (United Kingdom) published:

The Deja

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A light breeze caressed my cheek and pushed past the grass which towered above me. Looking up at the world made everything small seem so big; the grass was like a city of green that went on for miles- the flowers, like skyscrapers reaching out for the light. 
  This was my place, where I belonged. Hiding amongst Mother Nature with my only loyal friend, shining down on me. I dazed up at the sky, trying to concentrate on the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Violets_And_Peaches (United States) published:

Roses and Thorns

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The greenery around the ruins of the kingdom had certainly expanded since the last time he saw it. Before, the large thorny vines and rose infested bushes had only reached the edge of town. Now the unnatural, weed like vegetation had traveled several meters out past the town, perfectly blending in with the lush forest surroundings of the once lively kingdom. A gentle breeze blew through the collapsed kingdom-the red, fall colored leaves of trees swaying along with the careful...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

zleyla (United States) published:

The Jester's Oath

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I hate the cold, but I hate the hot more.
Sweat clings to my back as I lean onto the crooked tree, languid arms and legs tangling in the dew-wet grass. Back in Salea, snowflakes settled onto rough-hewn peaks from September till March. Mother used to say the snow was the universe's way of telling us that it was sad and it was tired. The flakes were tears, she said. Maybe the universe needed a hug.
The clammy stickiness is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Casey Donaldson (United States) published:

The Village Beneath the Sun

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Chapter One
    The deep chime of the bell atop the tower began to sound, ding ding ding, informing the town of my arrival. I released my grip on the rugged rope, hanging heavy from the ceiling, and twisted into a knot at the bottom. The sun cast into the tower from a puny window sitting comfortably within the wall, scattering light over the dank bricks that lay before me. I came on a good day; the air was warm and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

4

mystifiedtulip (Canada) published:

Ao Dai

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Skip
        Skip
Skip

Skip

The stones bounced over the ever so gentle river. The air was crisp, and the birds sang cheerful tunes. As the wind tingled Lieu’s spine, she gracefully skipped along, and whispered, "Too far," while shaking her head as she picked the stones back up again.

This time she threw the stones a little more softer—a little too soft, though. 

Skip
       Skip
Skip

Lieu wanted them to...
Seeking Peer Reviews