All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2020. See Competition

Published writing

SMG_GUY028 (New Zealand) published:

12:01 at the Antique Shop

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

There they were, rows and rows of ominous figures cloaked in varying colors. Some of which were holding stakes and flags that displayed stretched sheepskin and deer hide. They continued to roam towards an unknown location, though knowing the nature of this nation wide 'cult', it was more than likely that they were heading towards a summit of some kind for their own 'ritualistic' needs. The group continues to go about their journey, roaming across many twists and turns until...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

NM_ (South Africa) published:

Impending Change

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I remain unable to fully comprehend the nature of my father’s love for me. This is coupled by the fact that I have no other recoLlection of love, and thus, no other association with the concept. I have never experienced the soft, warm and affectionate nature of a mother’s love, or the freeing, sensual, unpragmatic and all-consuming love which one experiences as they plunge into the depths of irrational infatuation with another human being; I have never had such an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

SophieByrne (Ireland) published:

Bushwood Heights

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Bushwood Heights  
Jamie Reed was one of many who lived in the small apartment complex known as Bushwood Heights. Located on the edges of London it was a cosy little property built in the early 1930s that had somehow managed to survive the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Adayum (New Zealand) published:

The Soul Gem - Sinking Fear - Excerpt from Chapter 40

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ella, Timothy and Nikau were staying safe in a community. Luckily this community allowed anyone and wouldn’t punish those who are able and competent. Jornam smelt the brokenness of that system but looked past it for the sake of the quest. Him and Rodrigo were off travelling the world, using magic, well, celestial power to accelerate the travel, and absorbing energy into the amulet. Arborol was still containing Sacron, Carla had returned to her mother for the time being, and...

1

RobynLikeTheBird (United Kingdom) published:

The Deja

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

A light breeze caressed my cheek and pushed past the grass which towered above me. Looking up at the world made everything small seem so big; the grass was like a city of green that went on for miles- the flowers, like skyscrapers reaching out for the light. 
  This was my place, where I belonged. Hiding amongst Mother Nature with my only loyal friend, shining down on me. I dazed up at the sky, trying to concentrate on the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

The Deja

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Seeking Peer Reviews

Adayum (New Zealand) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Jornam and Rob pounded their way to the border wall. Jornam knew looking back would be a mistake, it wasn’t an option, he had to keep going, he had to keep going. Rodrigo saw The dark lord approaching, accompanied by the beast. They approached the HQ he was waiting outside. He decided it was now or never. Millions of terrorizing thoughts cut through him as he stepped straight to the dark lord. “Oh, it’s that naughty little spy” Rodrigo entered...

1

Adayum (New Zealand) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

It’s important not to forget the importance of that which lies within us, but that does little to mitigate the perils that fall alongside. What use is fear, if it’s protection has failed, and we are left with its tendrils surrounding us.
Jornam stood aside Rodrigo’s body. He didn’t speak. Dormatheius approached him. “If you’d joined me at the start, he’d still be alive.” He leaned in to deliver one last blow to Jornam. The cold words leaving his mouth...

Adayum (New Zealand) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Tyran had made the calls using the intercommunity broadcast system. The only individuals he hadn’t got a response from were Arborol, and suspiciously, the intercommunity ministry. Jornam and Rodrigo had reconvened with him. “Where is Arborol? He, do you think he’s ok?” Jornam couldn’t hide his evident worry. “We can’t let that worry us for the time being, magic users from all over the world are about to arrive, we should focus on that”. Tyran insisted. “Focus on the positive,...

Adayum (New Zealand) published:

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Anger, pain, regret, Jornam couldn’t tell them apart, as they raced around his head, like rockets. He dived out to catch one, but missed, and it landed back into the party of pain at the back. All he could do, was slump down, and feel awful, he felt as if he’d been detached from the world as he knew it. All this, while Arborol was spitting out deep, and complex information into his barricaded ears. Arborol quickly figured out that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9

Ella Flanagan (Australia) published:

Nostalgia

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Mama is waiting for me. 

Hurry up!

She’ll be worried soon enough. 

I run home from the hospital. The weight of an old hags body has suddenly felt much lighter as I sprint through the parking lot . 

My slim legs cease to a light jog as I try to catch my breath underneath the glance of an old Eucalypt tree. The legs that I had learned to hate in my old age take me to my hiding place.

Here...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9

Ella Flanagan (Australia) published:

Nostalgia

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Mama is waiting for me. 

Hurry up!

She’ll be worried soon enough. 

Here...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ruby Lincoln (Australia) published:

The End Line of Humanity

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

‘Are you willing to take part in a COVID-19 Vaccine Trial?’

It was from the good heart that light turned to darkness, and the nightmares of fairy tales weren’t just an illusion of the mind. Seven hundred people became ghosts to a project that never existed. They were gifted powers of a wolf, but the gift was something that they never wished to have. Mocked by the government, the project became ‘Project Ghost’ because according to official records it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Bocachino (Australia) published:

Broken

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

We all smiled as the swallow flew above us, though the gunshot rang loud and we knew it wouldn’t last. The beautiful bird smashed to the floor not far from my feet squealing in terror, we all watched until there was nothing left to see as the bird grew silent. “Back to work”! Officer Clifford shouted whilst holstering his gun back into his trousers. We knew better than to disobey but I couldn’t help being a little disappointed. That was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

lilybeam26 (New Zealand) published:

Asexual

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

My name is Kit, and I am asexual. Everyone I have told never understood; they would make comments like this:
“It’s when you don’t care what the other person looks like right? I mean that makes sense to me"
"I feel sorry for you, you can't love, that's so sad!"
"So you only date people with no gender, that's a funny sexuality."
"Good God, having no uterus must be lovely!"
So in the end I stopped telling people; I went...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
1

midnight.summerrose (United Kingdom) published:

Happiness Before Your Death Date

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Her descent to Earth held the light from a thousand stars. She left a rainbow trail behind her as she came down to Earth.

God spoke. ‘Time to fulfill your destiny’.
When past meets present and present meets future, an angel will achieve her destiny. She had been waiting for this day her whole existence; ever since she died at the age of 16 and became an angel. Would she succeed? What would Earth be like after all of this...

1

Garlic Boi (Aruba) published:

Focus.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

‘Patience. Breathing. Focus.’

His master told him these three things incessantly. Under his teachings, his arrows flew true, never missed. Now, they ran through his mind, like the rivers below, next to the camp. He spied his target, a man clad in heavy armor, adorned in dragon’s visage, his fire laden helm too thick for a normal arrow. He reached behind his waist, thumbing a single arrow with a larger-than-normal feathering. Still there. He watched silently as his target retreated...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

AbbyCat (United States) published:

Two Thousand Years Later

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Most people don't realize that the world could be destroyed tomorrow. Today, tomorrow, a week from now, a year from now, a hundred years from now, humans will be capable of wiping out their own race. There are thousands of ways it could happen, too. My favorite is nuclear war. A bunch of countries could literally just blow each other up. One second your living a peaceful life as a fifteen-year-old boy, the next second your bedroom is in flames,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mango (United States) published:

Being a Hero is Harder than Expected (Excerpt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

"You say that you are planning something... is that correct?"
"Yes, that is correct. In fact, I've been planning something for quite a long while..."
"What is your plan exactly?"
"I cannot tell you any exact specifics about my plan, but I will tell you a brief summary and why I've been planning something. Let me ask you this, what do you see when looking through the cafeteria?"
"Students eating and talking with their friends?"
"Well yes... but actually no....

2

Shingo (Australia) published:

One Last Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

The Arctic. The land of my dreams. I’ve been given the chance of a lifetime. This is my home. All day, I get to experience the lives of the animals that have adapted generation after generation to thrive in a land where every day is an incredibly arduous journey. What I call home is one of the many research labs scattered across this beautiful, but desolate, region. 

As a boy, I lived the life of a diplomat’s child. I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Rain&InkStains (Canada) published:

Ruthless - Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ruthanna set the candle on the windowsill. 
A cool spring breeze blew in, tickling her face. Outside, in the darkness of the night, the melting snow gleamed a warm orange under the candle’s flickering glow.
“Papa,” she asked, “Why do we have to put candles out every night?”
“Because the King will smoke us out of our home if we don’t.”
“Garet! Watch your words.” 
Her mother set down the blouse she was patching for the third time now, since...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Shingo (Australia) published:

One Last Time

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

As a boy, I lived the life of a diplomat’s child. I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

8

Starlitskies (Sri Lanka) published:

Secrets

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

In all my memories of Mama, she's bent among the flowers in our garden and yet, she never struck me as a flower-person.

"It's for Papa, Cham" I remember her saying once, when I'd asked her why she spent so many of her hours in the garden. 

"But Mama, Papa doesn't use the flowers right." 

She smiled, tucking a golden strand of hair behind her ear. In the soft morning sunlight that filled the garden, her hair was summery and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Ava Marie (Canada) published:

Alice and I

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

I did not understand it, could not understand it. Why did she do it? After all the time we spent together, the experiences we’d shared. Was I not entertaining enough? That must be it. I would just have to try harder, become even more captivating. I didn’t want to be tossed aside anymore, I wanted to be loved. Alice loved me, or so I thought, she completely ignores me now. I should make a scene, throw myself to the floor...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Amani (United States) published:

Melt (Review for Review)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

“We should do something fun today,” Chris said, parking the car in the garage of her Aunt Daph’s ice cream shop,  Ice Cream Komes

"Absolutely not. Last time we ‘did something fun’, I almost got fired.", I replied, closing the car door carefully behind me. 

"That's true, but, I got you this job Ellie, and I cover your shifts all the time. You haven't even heard what I want to do."

"Fine”, I rolled my eyes. “What...

Seeking Peer Reviews